Is there insurance available that would pay to cover the costs of food, lodging, and incidental expenses if forced to quarantine for two weeks in a distant hotel?   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Calliope said:

Is there insurance available that would pay to cover the costs of food, lodging, and incidental expenses if forced to quarantine for two weeks in a distant hotel?   

Hi Calliope,

Are you referring to a medical quarantine that someone if forced to have because they are ill? Or are you referring to Isolation? Here's what the CDC's website (https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/quarantineisolation.html) says about Quarantine and Isolation:

Isolation and quarantine help protect the public by preventing exposure to people who have or may have a contagious disease.

• Isolation separates sick people with a contagious disease from people who are not sick.
  • Quarantine separates and restricts the movement of people who were exposed to a contagious disease to see if they become sick.

If these are what you are referring to, then many plans will cover a medically-imposed quarantine if the insured traveler gets ill on the trip. Check each plan for the maximum it pays for this benefit.

On the other hand, if you are referring to the mandatory 14-day self-quarantine rules that some US States and some countries have, the answer is no. You are not covered for costs associated with a self-quarantine.

I hope this makes sense,

Steve Dasseos

It does, thank you. I  am concerned that, hypothetically speaking, I could be on a trip such as an east-bound transatlantic  crossing on the QM2 and cases of COVID 19 develop, and  I would be forced to quarantine for 14 days away from home. It sounds as if I would be responsible for   all associated costs. Truly frightening if I had to quarantine in a somewhat acceptable Southampton hotel especially if the Dollar goes down against the Pound.