Age versus Cost and buying at the last minute

Does cruise insurance increase in cost as we get older?   If it does is it a gradual increase based on age or are their jumps at certain ages?

Second question - if you are not concerned about pre-existing conditions - is it better from a price perspective to purchase the insurance just before traveling or earlier or no difference?

1 hour ago, iflyrc5 said:

Does cruise insurance increase in cost as we get older?   If it does is it a gradual increase based on age or are their jumps at certain ages?

Second question - if you are not concerned about pre-existing conditions - is it better from a price perspective to purchase the insurance just before traveling or earlier or no difference?

Hi iflyrc5,

Yes, it goes up in price. Each company has their own age brackets.

If you want the trip cancellation coverage, it's best to purchase the insurance when you in a penalty period.

If you only want medical and no pre-existing conditions coverage, you can wait until at least a day before you leave.

Steve Dasseos

Steve

1 hour ago, mustgo said:

If you only want medical and pre-existing conditions coverage (not cancellation ins) do you need to insure the full cost of the trip with Trip Protector Plus?

Hi mustgo,

If you are referring to the Travel Insured Worldwide Trip Protector Plus plan, the answer is yes. The same with the Travel Insured Worldwide Trip Protector plan.

You would be wasting your money to buy the Travel Insured Worldwide Trip Protector Plus plan becasue you are paying extra for the Cancel For Any Reason coverage, but you will forfeit that coverage by not insuring the full trip cost.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1

I am confused.  How much of the trip do we need to insure just to get the medical insurance and pre-existing condition coverage?  We have credit card insurance to cover cancellation.

Thanks so much for your answers.

3 hours ago, mustgo said:

I am confused.  How much of the trip do we need to insure just to get the medical insurance and pre-existing condition coverage?  We have credit card insurance to cover cancellation.

Thanks so much for your answers.

Hi mustgo,

Pre-existing Medical Condition coverage affects these four benefits: Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, Medical treatment and Medical transportation.

If you require the Pre-existing Medical Condition coverage for Medical treatment and Medical transportation, why wouldn't you need the same coverage for Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption?

I'm asking because it's unlikely your credit card insurance covers anything related to a Pre-existing Medical Condition.

Steve Dasseos

We can absorb the loss of the money spent on the cruise much easier than paying for a major medical bill or high priced evacuation.  I think where I got confused is that in past years we did not need the pre-existing coverage but now we do, so the partial coverage for insurance no longer works for us.  Thank you again for setting my head straight.  Geoblue yearly policy  was a solution but my husband has now aged out of that. We will just have to accept the full coverage price as a necessary part of continuing to cruise at higher ages.

It is so helpful to have you here sharing your knowledge.

5 hours ago, mustgo said:

We can absorb the loss of the money spent on the cruise much easier than paying for a major medical bill or high priced evacuation.  I think where I got confused is that in past years we did not need the pre-existing coverage but now we do, so the partial coverage for insurance no longer works for us.  Thank you again for setting my head straight.  Geoblue yearly policy  was a solution but my husband has now aged out of that. We will just have to accept the full coverage price as a necessary part of continuing to cruise at higher ages.

It is so helpful to have you here sharing your knowledge.

You're welcome.

There are just a few companies (I only know of three) that don't penalize you on the the pre-existing coverage if you don't insure your full per person prepaid, non-refundable trip costs. You have to buy them within a certain number of days after your first payment.

The plans that do not require the full prepaid trip cost to be insured as long as you insure a trip cost and meet the other rules for the pre-existing coverage are the IMG iTI SE (https://tripinsurancestore.com/img-iti-plan-details/), TravelSafe Classic (https://tripinsurancestore.com/travelsafe-travel-insurance-details/) and TripAssure Bridge (https://tripinsurancestore.com/tripassure-plan-details/) plans.

If you want to email me the following infomation (to steve@tripinsurancestore.com), I'll give you the prices & details for the best of the choices for you.

Your ages, State of Residence, initial trip deposit date and travel dates.

Steve Dasseos

On 6/3/2020 at 4:17 PM, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi iflyrc5,

Yes, it goes up in price. Each company has their own age brackets.

If you want the trip cancellation coverage, it's best to purchase the insurance when you in a penalty period.

If you only want medical and no pre-existing conditions coverage, you can wait until at least a day before you leave.

Steve Dasseos

Steve

There are at least two types of insurance discussed:  Trip medical and Trip cancellation/interruption coverage.  We have a policy for trip medical from geoblueinsurance.com - the policy is called "Trekker" and covers all trips taken within one year of the policy issuance.  The cost is the same per year for two people up to age 84.  The cost in the USA is $235/yr total for two people.

It provides $50,000 medical, $100,000 emergency evacuation and $2500 for medication (it even covers dental).  We've had the policy for over 5 years and have used it at least 5 times and have been paid in full every time (less a $50 annual deductible).  We've been very happy with the company (it's Blue Cross).

We use the Chase Sapphire Reserve card to book all of our travel.  They gave us $20,000 per trip trip cancellation insurance.  Both my wife and I have separate accounts and that gives us a total of $40,000 insurance.  We also have the Chase Ink Preferred card adding $5000 more coverage.  We've used the insurance 4 times - once for an Antarctic cruise that cost $45,000.  

Joel

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SedonaJoel said:

There are at least two types of insurance discussed:  Trip medical and Trip cancellation/interruption coverage.  We have a policy for trip medical from geoblueinsurance.com - the policy is called "Trekker" and covers all trips taken within one year of the policy issuance.  The cost is the same per year for two people up to age 84.  The cost in the USA is $235/yr total for two people.

It provides $50,000 medical, $100,000 emergency evacuation and $2500 for medication (it even covers dental).  We've had the policy for over 5 years and have used it at least 5 times and have been paid in full every time (less a $50 annual deductible).  We've been very happy with the company (it's Blue Cross).

We use the Chase Sapphire Reserve card to book all of our travel.  They gave us $20,000 per trip trip cancellation insurance.  Both my wife and I have separate accounts and that gives us a total of $40,000 insurance.  We also have the Chase Ink Preferred card adding $5000 more coverage.  We've used the insurance 4 times - once for an Antarctic cruise that cost $45,000.  

Joel

Hi Joel,

The way you are using the Geo Blue Trekker to supplement your trip cancellation & trip interruption coverage is, in my opinion, the best annual medical plan choice when:

1) you don't require pre-existing medical conditions coverage for the trip cancellation & trip interruption

2) You do not take a trip that is longer than 70 calendar day

3) You don't live in Maryland, New York and Washington State

4) You are under age 85

Another good reason to use Geo Blue is that you may buy it up to the day you leave on your first trip, so there's no need to get it months before you leave.

Just to clarify, Geo Blue isn't owned by Blue Cross. This is how they describe themselves on their website:
"GeoBlue is the trade name of Worldwide Insurance Services, LLC (Worldwide Services Insurance Agency, LLC in California and New York), an independent licensee of Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association and is made available in cooperation with Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies in select service areas."

I hope this made sense,

Steve Dasseos

On 6/7/2020 at 12:33 PM, SedonaJoel said:

Joel

Hi Joel and or Steve.

Do you have to pay the full costs of the trip with you CSR card or just some of it with the card to have the coverage as you said you have a Ink Preferred card adding $5K more coverage so I assume you have to charge some of the trip to both cards?

Merle

3 hours ago, SedonaJoel said:

You need to charge a portion of the charge to each of the cards to get coverage on that specific card.

What percentage of the total trip cost would be conducted “a portion”?

3 hours ago, SedonaJoel said:

You need to charge a portion of the charge to each of the cards to get coverage on that specific card.

Thank you.  I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, not reserve.  I will check into it.

On 6/6/2020 at 1:30 PM, iamtrustworthy said:

You're welcome.

There are just a few companies (I only know of three) that don't penalize you on the the pre-existing coverage if you don't insure your full per person prepaid, non-refundable trip costs. You have to buy them within a certain number of days after your first payment.

The plans that do not require the full prepaid trip cost to be insured as long as you insure a trip cost and meet the other rules for the pre-existing coverage are the IMG iTI SE (https://tripinsurancestore.com/img-iti-plan-details/), TravelSafe Classic (https://tripinsurancestore.com/travelsafe-travel-insurance-details/) and TripAssure Bridge (https://tripinsurancestore.com/tripassure-plan-details/) plans.

If you want to email me the following infomation (to steve@tripinsurancestore.com), I'll give you the prices & details for the best of the choices for you.

Your ages, State of Residence, initial trip deposit date and travel dates.

Steve Dasseos

I sent you an email with the info.  Thank you