October Med cruises chances of cancellation?

rwdtgb

I am booked on the Lirica out of Venice October 23,2020. Anyone have any insight if this cruise will be cancelled. Final payment  is due round July 9. I don't want to cancel I have airfareI bought separately.

Thank you for help and insight you may have.

Tom

I don't think anyone will know until less than a month before sailing.  Just for comparison NCL is still selling Dawn and Jade cruises from Venice from August through November, yet a leaked internal document shows they actually don't plan on operating these ships until Feb '21 and Nov '20 respectively.  And by those dates the ships are scheduled in different regions.  On the other hand MSC is very committed to Med and Adriatic sailings so I do think they will be the first ships to return to cruising there when it does happen.  If your airfare is rigid I would say prepare a plan B for a land vacation, whether you make final payment depends on your acceptance of risk.  If the cruise is cancelled you will eventually/hopefully get a refund to put towards the alternate plan's costs.   The other option would be to cancel now and re-book last minute once the sailing is assured, that may depend on your cabin type/flexibility and again your willingness to accept MSC may limit capacity and close new bookings early.

Edited by Até

16 hours ago, Até said:

Just for comparison NCL is still selling Dawn and Jade cruises from Venice from August through November, yet a leaked internal document shows they actually don't plan on operating these ships until Feb '21 and Nov '20 respectively. 

Do you have a reference for this please, or presume there is discussion about it on the NCL board? I have had my eye on the Spirit sailings out of Athens but might reconsider given these plans!

As a predominately US based line I presume they will bring ships back online in conjunction with the CDC standards initially before more 'exotic' locations. Although, I had thought the CDC requirements were going to be pretty tough to meet, so had also thought they would cruise first wherever is 'easiest' from a legislative point of view.

2 hours ago, Captain-John said:

Do you have a reference for this please, or presume there is discussion about it on the NCL board? I have had my eye on the Spirit sailings out of Athens but might reconsider given these plans!

It was first posted on some NCL Facebook pages, but NCL got them deleted.  It is now too far widespread so doesn't seem to be getting deleted here.  There has been confirmation regarding the Jewel dates by NCL sending out cancellation notices.  People assume the Star is 2020, not 2021.

ETA:  These are reported to be crew restart dates, the actual sail date is expected to be a week or two later. 

NCL restart dates.jpg

Edited by Até