MCO or MLB airport ?

DONNALAKA

how far is it actually from MELBOURNE airport to port canaveral ? map quest has the miles less than orlando but times wise they are listed about the same. i'd hate to spend the extra to go to MLB thinking i am so much closer to my pre cruise hotel {raddison or ron jons } if in fact travel time is comparable. anyone ?????????? thanks in advance !~

how far is it actually from MELBOURNE airport to port canaveral ? map quest has the miles less than orlando but times wise they are listed about the same. i'd hate to spend the extra to go to MLB thinking i am so much closer to my pre cruise hotel {raddison or ron jons } if in fact travel time is comparable. anyone ?????????? thanks in advance !~

The most direct (shortest) is via Toute 1 and Route A1A which runs along the coast and you will hit every traffic light along the way. Unless your flights are cheaper going into MLB, I would choose MCO. The route from MCO to Port Canaveral is 99% highway. I have actually made the trip from Port Canaveral to to MCO in about 30 minutes with no traffic (speed limit is 75 I believe).

If given a choice ... I say fly into Orlando (MCO).

I would say it is more like 99.7% highway driving from Orlando. It will take you about 30-40 minutes to make that drive. In addition, you will have a wider variety ot flight to choose from by flying into Orlando.

I've flown into both with MLB the last time. If I were to sail from Pt Canaveral again, there is no question that I'd chose Melbourne. It wasn't crowded, rental cars (which are much less expensive than ground transportation) were in the terminal, service was fast and efficient. MCO is huge, busy and congested.

LNF

thanks everyone ! after weighing all the pros ans cons {and pocket book ;) } i decided on MCO ! we know the airport well and even w/the crowds we should make ok time to start our sunny pre cruise vaca !

i did really want the MLB because of it's size . i used to love to go out of trenton,nj to mco .... had to walk onto the planes but literally left our house 45 minutes before take off ! sooo convenient .. too bad they don't fly to FL anymore :( }

the thing that really swayed me was that DELTA is the only carrier flying into MLB and they r slotted to strike in march....... i know they usually settle all these scuabbles but ........ so many issues w/delta lately i imagine it is only a matter of time before .......... so, i was afraid to take a chance.

thanks again all for the opinions ! i love these boards !

happy day from the snowy northeast !

• 9 months later...
I've flown into both with MLB the last time. If I were to sail from Pt Canaveral again, there is no question that I'd chose Melbourne. It wasn't crowded, rental cars (which are much less expensive than ground transportation) were in the terminal, service was fast and efficient. MCO is huge, busy and congested.

LNF

If the price is right and departure times work, great place. Have drained all of our Northwest Perks frequent flier miles for our first and soon to be 2nd trip on the Glory (1-13-06). We again booked Northwest who put us on Delta but DISCLAIMER the changes at Delta have resulted them moving our flight out back from 1:20 p to 11:40 p. Theyh ave been changing flight numbers left and right! WILL WE MAKE IT TO THE AIRPORT IN TIME? Advice please. :)

I live in Melbourne and work in the port. Fly into Orlando. Melbourne is a little closer but surface streets to the port. Orlando is interstate and one straight shot. Melbourne is a small airport and a pleasure to use but in this case not worth the extra money.

Archived