Wind Spirit - Arriving in STT

MGC

Just booked the Dec 9 sailing!!

I understand that the ship leaves at 6pm, with all on board by 5pm. If my flight arrives in STT at 3:15, is that early enough to be on ship on time?

I have always avoided arriving the same day as the cruise leaves. If a flight is delayed then you miss the front end of the cruise. The one advantage that you have is that if you miss the ship you can catch up that night, or the next day, in St. John. Even with this, I would suggest getting there earlier so you have time to get to the ship and get settled before sailing.

As long as you don't encounter weather delays at your departure city, you will have plenty of time. Windstar usually docks at Crown Bay which is only about a five minute drive from the airport terminal. If the ship docks at Havensight you should allow 25-30 minutes since you have to pass through Charlotte Amalie.

• 4 weeks later...

You might check the departure time, we are booked on the same cruise and our information shows a sailing at 10PM. We sailed the Spirit last Dec and we did sail at 6PM. The problem arose last year that if you arrive on St Thomas too early you have a problem with your luggage if you want to shop etc. Our friends who flew in early had to rent a car just to store their luggage. We spent a couple of days at the Rirz and timed our arrival at the ship around 3. Now that it is sailing later we have decided to stay in San Juan and take the commuter flight over later in the day and go straight to the ship.

PS. The cruise last year ruined us forever going on a big ship again. We are sailing with three other couples we met on last December's cruise. You will make great new friends.

Yes, I see that the website itinerary does indicate an evening departure, (the 6PM departure came from my TA). Thanks for the tip! I'm glad it's leaving later, maybe we will have some time in Charlotte Amalie before boarding. Any idea if we can check in and then go shopping?

We're also sailing with another couple who joined us on cruise in the Med last year (their second cruise, the first was on Carnival in the Western Caribbean during Hurricane Katrina - talk about a difference of cultures and cruises!) I agree, Windstar has spoiled us too - I won't even consider a large ship again.

See you on board!

Well, we get an e-mail from our TA today saying it is 6PM departure! Oh well that is a lot better since we are playing at the Ritz in San Juan for a few days before we fly over to ST on Saturday. We are all meeting in Dallas and flying to SJ on Wednesday. We were amazed last December when we drove up at the dock to find not one car or one cab. We got there at 3 and I am sure you probably could at least drop off your luggage and go shopping. We might do that to get some cheap booze to carry on. No one ever checked any carry on except the first day when they ran it through a scanner. I pretty sure no one cares what you bring on board. I know all the rest of the week they never checked or scanned anything during re-boarded. You could have carried on a beer truck and no one whould have said a thing. As you know you are name not a number on the Windstar cruise.

Glad your going. It was funny, the first night everyone got a table for 2 or 4 at dinner, after that it became a table for 8-12.

Can not wait for the party to start.

Regards

Now I'm wondering if the departure times for other islands are accurate. I was really glad that the departure for St. Martin was so late, I was looking forward to a meal in Grand Case (just need to figure out which one restaurant to go to).

Does anyone have any ideas?

I am going to guess based on last December 7th trip, we stayed on schedule the entire trip except a delayed departure when our dive instructor was injured. We waited a few hours to sail waiting for him to get back from the hospital. Did not interfere with any timetable. Makr your plans accordingly.

Archived