What's to do besides a beach??

SantaCruzer

:o Can anyone tell me what there is to do besides a beach club in Cancun. We just had an itinerary change. My thirteen year old daughter and my friend will be with me. We don't want to go to Tulum. We were set for the stingrays in Grand Cayman until Princess made a change. Any suggestions for something we could do on our own instead of a boat tour and still feel safe? Thanks for any help. Only a week til we go!

• 3 months later...

Joe's Jeep Adventure tours was one of the highlights of our last trip to Cancun. Carlos, our guide, was fantastic! Our teenage girls thought he was terrific. We drove jeeps through the jungle, to a crocodile farm and to Puerto Morelos for lunch. We took a zip line through the jungle and swam in a cenote, an underground clear water cave. It was incredible! Great value for about $60.

• 3 weeks later...

Xel-ha was a great thing to do. We weren't all into the Mayan ruins. Went and saw them, they were neat....next! Xel-ha (I think thats hat its called) Is like a beach with a channel you snorkel down and at the end it comes out into like a bay area, then opens into the ocean. Its a mixture of fresh and salt water. We snorkelled this and it was one of the coolest things we did. We saw stingrays and zillions of colorful fish. We had to take a bus to get there but WOW it was worth it. Snorkelling down the channel was neat, then once you get to the end its even more beautiful. It took probably close to 2 hours. Other than that there's shopping, the jungle boat adventure was neat too, it was right across the street from the resort we stayed in. There is just so many things to do in Cancun. Even Wal-Mart!!! Or the market downtown is cool too. We walked around and just stopped at a couple authentic restaurants to eat, wow how much cheaper it is than Outback or Jimmy Buffets!! I've been to St. John, St. Thomas, Tortola, Florida and by far, my favorite place (overall) so far on this earth is CANCUN!!! ~~JMO~~

Bev

• 3 weeks later...

I would definately take an excursion. Mexico is my least favorite place to go ashore and just hang out. The sales people in the markets are pushy and vulgar. I chose our next cruise because Mexico is not on the itinerary! But when we do go there we at least take a catamaran excursion where they take you to a private beach or something...away from the local stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
Xel-ha was a great thing to do. We weren't all into the Mayan ruins. Went and saw them, they were neat....next! Xel-ha (I think thats hat its called) Is like a beach with a channel you snorkel down and at the end it comes out into like a bay area, then opens into the ocean. Its a mixture of fresh and salt water. We snorkelled this and it was one of the coolest things we did. We saw stingrays and zillions of colorful fish. We had to take a bus to get there but WOW it was worth it. Snorkelling down the channel was neat, then once you get to the end its even more beautiful. It took probably close to 2 hours. Other than that there's shopping, the jungle boat adventure was neat too, it was right across the street from the resort we stayed in. There is just so many things to do in Cancun. Even Wal-Mart!!! Or the market downtown is cool too. We walked around and just stopped at a couple authentic restaurants to eat, wow how much cheaper it is than Outback or Jimmy Buffets!! I've been to St. John, St. Thomas, Tortola, Florida and by far, my favorite place (overall) so far on this earth is CANCUN!!! ~~JMO~~

Bev

We LOVE Cancun and have just recently returned from an all-inclusive land vacation. It was way too hot and humid for us to get off the beach and go anywhere. If climbing the ruins is not to your liking, Xel Ha is a great suggestion. So is Xcaret. They are both a combination of Mayan history mixed with fabulous ocean animal exhibits (like Sea World) (plus beach and snorkeling). They both are theme parks but well worth it. There's an excursion you can book in Cancun (maybe book on the ship -- I don't know) that involves taking these really fun little fast motor boats. I've seen this everytime I've been to Cancun (but I've never gotten off the beach to actually do it). Everyone follows the leader in their two person little speed boat and goes to some place to snorkel. I don't know anyne who has actually done this, but it's quite popular, and everyone is smiling on the way back. If I ever got off my beach chair and go anywhere, that's the excursion I would do. I'm sure there's mention of this somewhere on this board. ;)

• 4 months later...
We LOVE Cancun and have just recently returned from an all-inclusive land vacation. It was way too hot and humid for us to get off the beach and go anywhere. If climbing the ruins is not to your liking, Xel Ha is a great suggestion. So is Xcaret. They are both a combination of Mayan history mixed with fabulous ocean animal exhibits (like Sea World) (plus beach and snorkeling). They both are theme parks but well worth it. There's an excursion you can book in Cancun (maybe book on the ship -- I don't know) that involves taking these really fun little fast motor boats. I've seen this everytime I've been to Cancun (but I've never gotten off the beach to actually do it). Everyone follows the leader in their two person little speed boat and goes to some place to snorkel. I don't know anyne who has actually done this, but it's quite popular, and everyone is smiling on the way back. If I ever got off my beach chair and go anywhere, that's the excursion I would do. I'm sure there's mention of this somewhere on this board. ;)

Actually-you do now!!!

My BF and I did this in September-first time I've ever driven a speed boat, and man, was I nervous!

There wasn't much to see by way of snorkeling, but I actually managed to snorkel for the first time in my life-I usually feel like I can't breathe when I try. We saw a lot of coral, a few 'blue' fish and a couple evil looking fish with those long noses (can't remember the name now, I'll remember it as soon as I hit 'Submit' of course).

All in all, it was fun-they say you boat through a jungle, we went through some mangroves, but not jungle in the sense like you see in movies like when they visit that voodoo witch-lady in Pirates of the Caribbean 2.

Archived