Land Rover excursion or cave tubing???

andynlala

I really don't know much about the Land Rover personally, a while back when I started reading posts trying to decide on what excursion to book I read some not-so-favorable reviews. If you search the site several pages back I'm sure you'll find them.

Our family did the cavetubig/zipline canopy tour combo. I would recommend it to anyone. If you book with Nacho/cynthia they both take place at the same resort, so there isn't any additional driving.

here's their website:

http://www.ncqadventuretours.com/

Here's a link to my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=289599

I hope you enjoy your stop in Belize!

If you are talking about the tour where you get to drive the Land Rovers and walk thru some caves we did that last week.:D My boyfriend (who did the driving) LOVED it, it was the highlight of his cruise. If you do a search using 'Land Rover' you will read a few really good reviews. The only negatives would be:

- that you likely won't get a chance to do any shopping/touristy stuff in Belize, if that is important to you (someone in our group needed to pick up some previously purchased jewelry though, so the guides made an exception).

- not everyone gets to drive. We were fortunate that we had a small group that day so most people who wanted to drive were able to.

- you don't really drive thru any rough terrain or jungle unless it happened to rain before (luckily for us there were enough mud puddles to satisfy our group).

- the rain forest and caves weren't as 'awe inspiring' as I had imagined, but I may have just been too impatient to get to the Land Rovers.:p

I don't mean to sound negative - it was a great tour and great day. If you do go, make sure you bring $5 extra to purchase the optional lunch of chicken, rice and beans - it is so good! On the boat ride back the guide spotted some huge iguanas and a few crocodiles all while pouring the most lethal Rum Punch I have ever had!

DH and I just got back from our cruise and I highly recommend cave tubing. It is a totally unique experience.

I would just like to caution you....DO NOT book the ship's excursion! They basically dump you in the river and have only two to three guides for up to 30 people. If the water is high, it can be dangerous and it is better to experience in a smaller group.

We did it with b e l i z e c a v e t u b i n g . n e t with Major Tom and it was awesome! We had 8 people and two guides. Safety was the first priority and we got to go into caves that the cruise ship doesn't guide you into.

elaineb, the caves were only narrow in certain places where you would have to 'duck-walk', but generally quite high. They are completely dark but everyone wears a headlamp and the guide has a flashlight. I am slightly clausterphobic myself and didn't have a problem with them. I think someone else who wrote a review had posted 2 pictures of the caves, if that would make you feel better.

We didn't get a chance to swim in the river, and after seeing the crocodiles on the way back I am glad I didn't venture down there :p

Archived