Balcony doors propped open

Virgincruiser06

After all the reading about how great balcony's are (many reasons!) I upgraded from an inside stateroom to a balcony this am. Now I have a question: Some of you speak of propping the door open at night with a bungee cord, do bugs come in or are there none out on the ocean? What about moisture?

Only thing you need to worry about is those mean 6 to 13 foot Barracuda, these are known to jump into you cabin and go for your chocolate mints they leave on your pillows at night :confused:

Out of all twenty-two species of Barracudas only the Great Barracuda attacks humans. Down below are some shark attacks that have occurred throughout the world.

In the 1960's there were two shark attacks in Hawaii involving two fisherman at two different times. The first attack involved a 6 foot long Barracuda that slashed the leg of a fisherman in half. This accident had 6 full hours of surgery to his leg. The second fisherman had his arm slashed and had to receive 225 stitches to repair the damage done to his arm. There was an incident I the late 1980's where a Barracuda attacked a scuba diver of the shore of Kailua. The diver was ok and the wounds where miner. There was this one lady that was bitten on her scalp and had to receive surgery to remove the teeth from the Barracuda. It is said that Barracudas attack humans because they sometimes mistake humans for their prey.

Never had a problem with bugs coming in, but that probably depends on where you're going and might be more likely while in port. As far as moisture...If you are referring to rain it would have to be wind-driven to get into the cabin because of the overhang. I find that propping the door open at night is wonderful because a) the sound of the ocean helps me sleep and b) I don't wake up with a bloody nose from the ship's dry air.

We don't prop our door open. We've found bees on our balcony that have flown aboard from a port stop and don't want them in our cabin! Also, the humidity can come in and I don't want that in the cabin either. Propping open the door has an effect on not only your cabin, but any other cabin on the same duct system.

Of course, the choice is always yours. ;)

We don't prop our door open. We've found bees on our balcony that have flown aboard from a port stop and don't want them in our cabin! Also, the humidity can come in and I don't want that in the cabin either. Propping open the door has an effect on not only your cabin, but any other cabin on the same duct system.

Of course, the choice is always yours. ;)

Oh that just reminded me about the guy thats smoking above ya and throws the lit cigarette over the side and goes into your cabin:confused:

Oh that just reminded me about the guy thats smoking above ya and throws the lit cigarette over the side and goes into your cabin:confused:

People like that should be keelhauled. We've found the butts on our balcony too. Don't know if they blew there or were thrown there or what, but I wish they'd put them in the proper place, not on my balcony.

People like that should be keelhauled. We've found the butts on our balcony too. Don't know if they blew there or were thrown there or what, but I wish they'd put them in the proper place, not on my balcony.

I think that most of them come from Lido deck and decks above, but imagine if that happened and your cabin had a serious fire, I wonder if they would blame you a non-smoker :confused: I say keep them doors Closed !!! :eek:

Gross...even as a smoker I think that's horrible.

There's these things...and they are usually provided FREE OF CHARGE...called ashtrays. Use them.

My trash should not be anyone else's responsiblity. :mad:

Wish everyone thought like that.

After all the reading about how great balcony's are (many reasons!) I upgraded from an inside stateroom to a balcony this am. Now I have a question: Some of you speak of propping the door open at night with a bungee cord, do bugs come in or are there none out on the ocean? What about moisture?

So Virgincruiser06, what the verdict? To keep the door open or To keep the door closed?

if sailing in the summer or heaing to a port withhigh humidty you might want to rethink leaving the door opened.

Sailed in Sept--left the door opened an in the next few hours condensation did build up inthe room. Little drops of water were all over the ceiling. Everything felt wet.

ALso something else to consider-- some a/c shuts off when the door is left opened.

serene enjoy your cruise, we'll be getting on her as youre getting off..lol

i am keeping my fingers crossed that we make it. Big storm coming and although we are flying in the day before-- we booked the last flight out at 8:20 since SO must work.

I vote for door open. On the Elation, we FROZE!!!! We could not get the A/C runed down (nor could our steward!!!) The door open in the evening was my saving grace! Plus......it was so lovely to hear the sea! When I came home, I honestly could not fall asleep without a wave machne on for a month!!!:D

Gross...even as a smoker I think that's horrible.

There's these things...and they are usually provided FREE OF CHARGE...called ashtrays. Use them.

My trash should not be anyone else's responsiblity. :mad:

Wish everyone thought like that.

I agree 100%. I too am a smoker and always use an ash tray. I can't imagine the horror if it landed in someone elses cabin. Oh Cr***p.

Use a wedge of wood instead of a bungee--just slip it into the open door as far as you want it open --much more secure and easier. Think I got this tip from a steward about ten years ago--works great:)

Our first cruise was on Legend in November....brought LONG bungee cord, which did work.

Strongly recommend keeping balcony door open...we did so when time to sleep. The air we had was NOT overly humid, air conditioning did NOT stop working, and the sound of the ocean as ship moved at 19-22 knots was incredibly soothing.

Thanks to this forum,we chose to get a balcony....we would NEVER consider anything else in the future...what really shocked us was that when you wanted privacy you had it both in cabin AND balcony. There was absolutely no view of our neighbors on either side. All you could see was the ocean and sunlight. And by the way,the balcony was where we got most of our suntan as well ! Which can be 100 % ! Topless deck bother anyone ? No problem....suntan naked on your own deck !

Miracle in April, here we come !

Heirloom

We thoroughly enjoyed our balcony aboard the Victory, and we propped our door open using the bungee cords. It worked beautifully, and while we didn't leave the door open all the time, we enjoyed it at night when we could hear the ocean. We didn't have any issues with humidity, AC turning off or errant cig butts landing on our balcony. :D All in all, the option of leaving the door open or closed is most of why I love having a balcony.

Archived