Extra Patches anyone????

smokeey7

If anyone has any extra patches for sea sickness could you please let us know. They are so back ordered here that no one will even write you a script. We will be willing to pay the few extra buscks for shipping. Please please help. We cruise on the 23rd on this month on the Inspiration.

Thanks Jen and Andrew

I am also not able to get those in Orlando (not far from you). I go in 4 weeks and am bringing Ginger Pills which I hear are very effective. you may want to look at your options since the patch is so back ordered. (oh yeah and it's illegal to sell a prescription)

I would suggest using ginger for sea/motion sickness as an alternative if you can't get the patches. It works quickly and has few to no side effects. Anything with ginger in it will do. Ginger pills, ginger tea, ginger ale, even the fresh ginger they have available at the sushi bars that are on some ships. Try taking some ginger pills with you as well as other sea sickness remedies (patches, dramamine, etc.) Try a few different ones (not at the same time of course ;) ) and find out what works best for you.

I have extra patches, never used them and never did need them, but I don't think I want to get into black market drugs. With these new wire taps I may just have someone on my doorstep tommorrow!

Have you tried an online/mail order pharmacy from a different area of the country? I'm sorry, but if my doctor refused to write a script because they are in short supply, I'd find a new doctor. Who exactly does it hurt if they write one and it never can get filled?? None of his/her concern IMHO.

"Patches? We don't need no stinking patches!!"

OK, sorry, couldn't resist the SNL takeoff - showing my age. But as kethry88 says, try ginger if you are not able to get the patches. There's lots of testimonials on this board that it works great.

You can always get the patches on board... just see the ship Doctor. Expect to spend some money. The patches are $10 at a regular phamacy... probably higher on the ship.

Personally, I would try the ginger pills and have the bonine or patch only as a back-up. I heard you take the pills 3 times per day, with no adverse side effects like you can get with the patch and the bonine.

Ya'll are scaring me.....That is my biggest fear!! Being sick the whole trip....I have never been on a boat....What is going to be my best option Joe????

To be honest (and my number of cruises is nothing compared to a lot of people on this board) I have only had one day during all our cruises where I was ill due to motion sickness. Otherwise, every day was wonderful and no one in our family experienced any problems with sea sickness. Since you're concerned about drowsiness, Ventureman had a good suggestion about ginger as your first choice and patches or tablets as a backup. But please don't stress out over maybe becoming ill on your cruise - be prepared just in case something unusual happens then forget about it and have a great time!

Get non-drowsy bonine ( or meclazine ). Take it every day just in case- pill don't work at all after you start to feel sick. Often I can still feel the ship movement in my head after I get on land - I just keep taking the bonine until it goes away.

The motion sickness patches are available through Canada pharmacies. Transderm-V is the brand name of the drug scopalamine. Last year, they did not require a prescription for that particular drug in Canada. It is considered to be an over the counter drug in Canada. They can be ordered online. That assumes they are not backordered in Canada. I ordered a 6 pack last year in January. Around $27.00 plus $5.00 shipping. I found them to be cheaper through Canada Pharmacy than using our prescription cards co-pay at my local Walmart. My co pay on that drug would have been $25.00 for 4 patches because there is still no generic equivalent. Go figure. Maybe your prescription drug card will work out better for you.

Bernie

I need something that will not make me drowsy...Most medications make me sleepy....So....I will purchase the ginger....then get the patches from my doctor as backup...What about the wrist bands?? Does anyone know if they work??

MythBusters did a whole sement on sea sickness remedies. The wrist bands were deemed worthless. The bonine works, but puts you to sleep.

The ginger pills worked the best with no side effects.

I heard that the patched can have some pretty adverse effects on some people. Maybe that is why the Doctor would not write the prescription.

Check with your pharmacist again... My wholesaler got them back in stock yesterday and I have already sold 5 boxes of 4 today....

both the 4 box and the 1o box are showing instock currently

Hope that helps

(Yes i am a pharmacist)

Same here.....we are able to obtain Transderm thru our warehouse and the wholesaler. Also, check out the side effects of the patch ....they can be pretty nasty. The retail price of 4 patches is more than $10.

It is a federal offense to buy someone's rx as in your first posting. As I say to my customers "Are you going to visit me at Leavenworth?".

(another pharmacists opinion)

I also took the ginger root capsules and never had any problems on my first cruise ( Even with high seas when our tablemates did get sick ). I started the day before and took 2 morning and night throughout our cruise. They are inexpensive and easily found. I thought it was great when the Mythbusters show came up with those results too!

Since we have pharmacists on the boards - Do you personally use or recommend anything to prevent seasickness?

I personally hate patches. I used them once years ago on a scuba vacation and I had dry mouth constantly and my hands were swollen (probably from drinking so much water to fight the dry mouth) then a day later I noticed I couldn't see well. My pupils were completely dilated. I don't know if that was a systemic reaction to the med or if I had rubbed the patch and gotten some in my eyes, whatever I had to go out and buy the strongest sunglasses I could find. I took some with us on our cruise last year but only because my husband insisted someone might need them (no one did).

I started Ginger Root pills two days before cruise.. GNC has them, Nature's Fingerprint Ginger Root 550 mg.. comes in a bottle of 100 for $5.99. I took two every morning while on the trip and had NO problems. The last day (day at sea) we woke to 15 foot waves of Hurricane Wilma. I felt fine, but took 2 of the Bonine just in case. Lots of sick people.. they hung barf bags every 15 feet in the hallways.. AND we were all fine! Ate, Gambled, and had a fun day walking the halls feeling like we were walking on our ears... great experience! AND we could say we safely made it thru a hurricane, even thou the hurricane was actually far away!

Archived