New to RCL - Need help

chopper825

Hi everyone. Having just returned from a Western Caribbean cruise on the Star Princess, I can't wait to book my next one. I really like the 11 night Panama Canal itinerary on the Brilliance. I have cruised with Carnival, Princess and Holland American (many years ago). There are two couples traveling together and we are all in our 40's and 50. Wonder if anyone can help me with the differences in RCL and the other lines. It seems to be more expensive and I am just wondering what makes the difference. Also, anyone do the Panama Canal in April? How hot is it? Is there one side of the ship that is better than the other for a balcony room. I keep hearing about the hump. Are the rooms on the hump any different and is it better to be in front of the hump or behind it. One last thing, any suggestions on where to get the best price.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

We have done the panama canal on the Regal Princess. We had a balcony cabin on the Starboard side of the ship. If you are leaving from Florida, your view is the shoreline all the way. Also, did the trip in April. Temp in the canal was in the 80's. Beautiful time to do it and since it was a re positioning cruise, the price was right.

We have cruised Princess, RCL, NCL,Holland, and Celebrity. Our favorite is Holland. I would say that Princess and RCL are about the same. NCL is our least favorite. We have found that Princess and RCL prices are about the same. If you catch a good deal on one or the other, I would pick the best price.

hi, I have been on both ships. Both ships have plusses and minuses.

The solarium (indoor pool) on the Brillaince is for Adults only 16+, where on princess it is for everyone.

I liked the food on the Brilliance A LOT more then on the Star. The brilliance seemed to have a lot bigger selection, and the service was more prompt as well as more friendly.

The ships were both in great condition. They were Both Built in 2002, so they are the same age.

The star had the buffet open 24 hours, where as the Brilliance buffet closes at 9, but they have the Seaview cafe (Up a deck) Open until 2am.

Alcohol was about a buck cheaper on princess.

The staff (Cruise director) Gets much more involved with games on RCCL, however in the evening there is more staged entertainment on Princess.

Either way you will have a great time on either cruise line. I would chose RCCL in the toss up for me, but, again thats just me.

BTW, the hump is the area of the ship that bows out. It is more popular because the rooms and balconys are bigger.

Scott

I had planned to book Brilliance for our Panama Canal cruise last year, but changed to Celebrity Galaxy because it was much less expensive. We had a fabulous time, as I'm sure we would have had on Brilliance. Don't worry about RCI--it'll be great. We stick to RCI and Celebrity and feel we can't go wrong with either line.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords

The Brilliance is our favorite ship. She is so beautiful. It is a medium size ship but spacious and never seems crowded. I love that the solarium is adult only. The staff and crew are great.

You will love it if you choose The Brilliance.

Archived