Illegal to bring back shells or not?

HarleyGirl

I have read mixed reviews about this and was just wondering if anyone can actually say for sure if it is okay to bring home a few small shells if we find them--nothing with live creatures, of course--I have plenty of respect for nature--but I do collect pretty shells when i find them. I have heard some people say that customs asked if they had any shells on them when they came through and that it was very illegal, then i've also heard plenty of people say nobody ever asked or checked and some even say the shells were found when the bags were searched but nothing was said about them. Anybody know???

Shells are okay to bring back; however, you cannot collect shells inhabited or not within the marine park. The park is marked on the southeast all the way around to the western boundaries. You'll see the signs so just stay out of those boundaries and you can get empty shells.

What is NOT okay to bring back is black coral. You'll see shops that sell it. First of all, what is being sold as "black coral" is likely not. Secondly, black coral is rare and it is illegal to poach it and sell it. So, don't buy it.

I brought back shells that I found outside the marine park during out last stay and there was no problem bringing them through. In fact, customs in Cozumel even saw them.

I appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions. I have seen so many conflicting answers on this subject. I did pull up the US Customs site and could not find anything about empty shells, though it did mention mollusks--isn't that the creature inside? Might be thinking of something else, but anyway, I don't suppose you would know if it's okay to bring just a bit of sand back in a little ziplock bag? I saw soil was a no-no but not sure if they consider sand to be soil. I probably would myself, but they didnt literally say the word "sand" so I want to be sure. Thanks again!

It's not US Customs you have to worry about. Its the Mexican authorities. The Mexican coastline (which would of course include all beaches) is considered an environmental reserve from which it is illegal to remove any natural items.

However we found this out after we had taken a huge conch shell off the beach and brought it back to Canada.

I'd check for yourself with the Mexican authorities if you are worried about what the rules are.

Actually, bruce-r, the marine park does extend around the southern tip of the island on the eastside a bit. There's a sign that marks the start of the park. (marino de parque de arricifes -- or something like that). I believe the sign is near El Mirador but I'm not positive. If you go north of that sign, you'll be out of the marine park and you'll find some cool shells. I even found an empty conch that had been there a while and was buried in the sand.

We went through customs at the Cozumel airport and they just told us to take the shells out of carryon and put them in our checked luggage. No problems.

While there are federal marine parks along much of Mexico's coastland, I don't believe the entire Mexican coastline is an environmental reserve. If it were, there would be NO WAY cruise ships would be able to come into port because of the environmental damage some ships cause. In fact, the marine park conveniently ends where the cruise ship piers are (used to be). Perhaps you're confused with the "restricted zone" where foreigners cannot own land in Mexico. Within 100 km of the border or 50 km of the coast, foreigners cannot acquire direct ownership of the land.

Actually, bruce-r, the marine park does extend around the southern tip of the island on the eastside a bit. There's a sign that marks the start of the park. (marino de parque de arricifes -- or something like that). I believe the sign is near El Mirador but I'm not positive. If you go north of that sign, you'll be out of the marine park and you'll find some cool shells. I even found an empty conch that had been there a while and was buried in the sand.
Thanks for the clarification. I knew that the park was on the west side, but I wasn't sure where it ended going south.

We went through customs at the Cozumel airport and they just told us to take the shells out of carryon and put them in our checked luggage. No problems.
Our shells were already in the checked luggage, so no problems. I did learn one thing by watching the family before us go thru the checked luggage search. They don't allow opened bottles of alcohol in checked luggage. The Mexican version of the TSA took the bottles and emptied them. :( They did allow one opened bottle of expensive tequila to go back into the suitcase with a wink and a nod. Bottles that hadn't been opened weren't a problem.

Archived