Moved our cruise but can we now cancel?

Mim Lloyd

We were due to sail the Caribbean on the Azura in January 2021, but took advantage a couple of months ago of P&O's offer to move it penalty free to a later date. We now booked on the same ship for a Med cruise out of Malta in September 2021. A family event is now happening in September and we'd now like to cancel the cruise completely and receive our deposit back. Would P&O let us do this seeing as we've already moved it? I'd even be happy for them to put the deposit against another cruise we've got booked with them in December 2021 rather than them give us a refund.

Edited by Mim Lloyd

4 hours ago, Mim Lloyd said:

We were due to sail the Caribbean on the Azura in January 2021, but took advantage a couple of months ago of P&O's offer to move it penalty free to a later date. We now booked on the same ship for a Med cruise out of Malta in September 2021. A family event is now happening in September and we'd now like to cancel the cruise completely and receive our deposit back. Would P&O let us do this seeing as we've already moved it? I'd even be happy for them to put the deposit against another cruise we've got booked with them in December 2021 rather than them give us a refund.

My opinion is that you can't do that. By moving your deposit to another cruise, you effectively took out a new booking,  and if you cancel, you will forfeit your deposit. The option of putting your deposit towards a future already booked cruise is not possible either.

How about  moving your deposit to a 2022/23 cruise, once the new brochure comes out, assuming P&O still allow it?

Failing that, I think you have no option but to lose your deposit.

Edited by wowzz

We had a cancelled cruise June 2020 paid for in 2019 so opted for FCC next Oct this would have cost more than the 2019 cruise so we paid a small deposit for the outstanding amount. We decided to cancel the 2021 cruise and ask for a refund on the original 2019 cruise. This is the reply -

quote "I can see that you have paid an extra deposit of £147 (as FCCs from your June booking has not been applied as of yet). If you are looking to cancel this 2021 cruise, cancellation of this cruise will result in loss of deposit as this cruise is planned to go ahead. however you can use our flexible transfer policy as per below:

• Transfer your booking to any P&O Cruises holiday currently on sale (and not just to those within the next 12 months).
  • Transfer your booking to a cruise of higher or lower value (and not just of a higher value, as is usually the case).
  • Transfer your booking an unlimited number of times (and not just once).
  • Transfer your booking free of charge." Unquote

So you would loose your deposit.

Steve.

35 minutes ago, safathome said:

We had a cancelled cruise June 2020 paid for in 2019 so opted for FCC next Oct this would have cost more than the 2019 cruise so we paid a small deposit for the outstanding amount. We decided to cancel the 2021 cruise and ask for a refund on the original 2019 cruise. This is the reply -

quote "I can see that you have paid an extra deposit of £147 (as FCCs from your June booking has not been applied as of yet). If you are looking to cancel this 2021 cruise, cancellation of this cruise will result in loss of deposit as this cruise is planned to go ahead. however you can use our flexible transfer policy as per below:

• Transfer your booking to any P&O Cruises holiday currently on sale (and not just to those within the next 12 months).
  • Transfer your booking to a cruise of higher or lower value (and not just of a higher value, as is usually the case).
  • Transfer your booking an unlimited number of times (and not just once).
  • Transfer your booking free of charge." Unquote

So you would loose your deposit.

Steve.

Even though OP would lose their deposit, the policy otherwise seems to be quite generous , much more so than in previous times. 

There is no harm in asking P&O to move your deposit to another previously booked cruise (or instructing your agent to do so on your behalf if you used an agent), but I suspect that the answer will be as the previous posters have indicated.

Thanks all, I'll ask my travel agent to check with them if I can move it again to another cruise. I don't want to lose the deposit if at all possible as we've paid £825, I had to pay upfront for Premium seats on the plane for the original Caribbean cruise.

27 minutes ago, Mim Lloyd said:

Thanks all, I'll ask my travel agent to check with them if I can move it again to another cruise. I don't want to lose the deposit if at all possible as we've paid £825, I had to pay upfront for Premium seats on the plane for the original Caribbean cruise.

That makes a difference I would have thought. You should ask for the airfare part of the deposit to be refunded, as it is not part of the actual cruise only fare. Not sure if that is possible, but I think it's well worth raising the issue with P&O. 

• Like 1