Isla Margarita - Dolphin Swim????

bnaj

I have read many posts about Dolphin Swims but I am looking for anyone who has done this one at Isla Margarita. Is it worth $400 for me to take my husband and two kids?????

We are travelling there the second week in March and I am getting worried that we have made the wrong decision. Please help:confused: .

Wendylou

Hi WendyLou,

I just did the Dolphin Swim (not the Dolphin Encounter) at the Sea Aquarium in Curacao. Not Margarita, but it was the high point of my recent cruise aboard HAL Zaandam. You're right, it was steep, especially after paying for pictures and a DVD, but it was an exhilirating, once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Post any questions to this board - Jon

Hi WendyLou,

My husband and I did the 'Swim with Dolphins' on Isla Margarita last year as one of our excursions from the Dawn Princess. It was a wonderful experience to get in the water with those gentle creatures. Just so you know what to expect ... the life jackets are bulky and you must wear one. Jewelry is either to be removed or taped over by the guide over to prevent nicks and scratches to the dolphins. There are several minutes you get to interact with the dolphins but remember there are also many people trying to do the same so you want to be sure the kids can ambulate in the water with their life jackets. At one point you get to ride on the dolphin's stomach and it was a wonderful experience. Makes you think about just how wonderful they are and you walk away with a different take on life and how we view different species. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. (They are constantly taking pictures of you so you can buy one of the CDs and have a lifetime of memories. If you can find someone on your cruise that you are willing to go half with, and then copy the CD, you'll save yourself some money. )

Carol

Wendy Lou,

We're also going on the dolphin excursion in mid-March (which ship are you on?). I asked the same question in another forum a couple of months ago. Basically, it seems like a wonderful experience, although I've been warned that the dolphin handlers are very business-like and not too customer friendly. My main concern was how the dolphins are handled because my family would be devastated if the dolphins were treated poorly or confined in an excessively small space. Reviewers seemed to think the dolphins were treated well.

You can get more info about Isla Margarita on the "Caribbean -- Other" board, including the straw market. If we have time after the dolphins I'd love to stop there.

Beth

Hi Bakery!

We will be onboard the Sun Princess and will be in Isla Margarita on March 14th. I am still undecided about doing the Dolphin Swim. I really want to but for that price I want to make sure my kids get to really spend time with them. 20 - 30 people for 20 minutes just doesn't seem feasible. I guess I will decide once onboard.

Only one week to go!!!!:D

Nancy

Archived