Alaska 2022: Grand, Sapphire or Majestic. Which do you prefer?

Cobber76

1 hour ago, HS2BS said:

Just read on the Celebrity board that all Alaska cruises cancelled till 6/1/21 - will Princess  follow?

Could be that Canada is going to extend there cruise ban till then?

Hal

Details???????????  Why is Celebrity cancelling the cruises mentioned in your post?

From Celebrity this morning

Dear Guest,

We are reaching out to provide an update on the status of your 2021 cruise vacation.  As the world continues to work towards a new normal, our primary goal continues to be a healthy return to service for our guests, crew and the communities we visit.  While working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other local health and government authorities towards this shared goal, we are evaluating all current itineraries to ensure compliance with the new Conditional Sail Order.  This means some of our itineraries will need to be canceled and others will be modified. 

Unfortunately, these deployment adjustments will require cancellation of your Alaska cruise vacation. We apologize for the inconvenience this causes as we value your vacation time and want to ensure you have the best experience possible on a Celebrity Cruise.  At this time, we would like to offer you the opportunity to be re-accommodated on another Celebrity sailing in Alaska or to receive a 125% Future Cruise Credit (FCC) or a 100% Refund. 

From now through December 22, you have the option to rebook on any other 7-night Alaska sailing in 2021, departing between May and September, based on the price and promotion of your original booking or at prevailing rate, whichever is lower.  If you choose to rebook, you will also receive an onboard credit of $100 per stateroom. Please contact us or your Travel Agent to take advantage of this offer. 

If you are unable to rebook by December 22, you will automatically receive a 125% FCC valid for use on sailings through May 4, 2022.  The value of the FCC will be calculated based on the amounts paid toward your cruise and will be processed by January 22, 2021 via email. ...

Hal

14 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

From now through December 22, you have the option to rebook on any other 7-night Alaska sailing in 2021, departing between May and September,

I am confused.  Was your cruise originally a 14-day cruise?  If so, Princess has already cancelled those --  mine was one of them. 

The partial quote I noted above is from your letter from Celebrity.  As I read the letter I see no indication that ALL Alaska sailings are cancelled through 6/1/2021.  I am thinking that you either had a 14-day cruise booked or your ship was redeployed and you need to make alternate arrangements on another ship. 

12 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

7 day - Vancouver to Seward 5/14

If you take a moment, go to the Celebrity board for more information:

“All May 2021 Alaska cruises cancelled”

Very odd and poorly written letter --- if the cruises are cancelled, then why does it say you can rebook on another 7 night for the time period May-September 2021. 

Sorry to hear that this happened to you.  My 3 Princess Alaska cruises were cancelled for 2020.  For 2021, I had one 14-night cruise cancelled and I am still hanging on to one 7-day cruise.  This is so frustrating for so many.

3 hours ago, HS2BS said:

7 day - Vancouver to Seward 5/14

If you take a moment, go to the Celebrity board for more information:

“All May 2021 Alaska cruises cancelled”

Agree with above poster that the letter Celebrity sent is not clear in certain details. But as for the confusion over Celebrity's very particular May exclusion, I read (according to another poster on CC in the Celebrity forum) that the ship was headed for a dry dock in Asia in the near future. But knowing what we know now about ships sitting around, I'm speculating Celebrity isn't rushed to fill up deployments where they don't see the demand or restrictions loosening. What conclusions this could lead to for Celebrity by then, time will tell.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 9:15 AM, John99 said:

Good comments by snoozecroose and KruzPrincess.

Majestic would be my least favorite among the three.

The Sapphire would be my choice.

Grand - refurbished 3/2019

Guests -2600

Length – 949 ft

Sapphire – refurbished 3/2018

Guests – 2670

Length – 952 ft

Majestic - refurbished 12/2018

Guests – 3560

Length – 1082 ft

For us the itinerary is a primary consideration.  Having an additional 1000 guests (Majestic) in port is not for us.  Plus the Majestic does not have a promenade deck like the others ships.  Also, the Majestic was originally configured for the Asia Pacific market.  What changes did they make to the Majestic (during the 2018 refurbishment) to accommodate the North American market? 

We are currently looking an Alaska Cruise Tour for July 2022 with the Sapphire being our choice.

John

I would never take a Royal Class ship ( Majestic) on any cruise. We found it to noise and quiet place to sit and watch the ocean go by. Lack of  promenade is very big Con+++ for us.

On 12/8/2020 at 12:54 PM, Italy52 said:

Keeping fingers crossed that 2022 will be our year.  

We’re also hoping 2022 will be our year to finally get to do an Alaska cruise, it will be third time lucky. Previous 2 bookings have been cancelled 😢