Question about Sail and Sign Acct.

HarleyGirl

I plan to use cash for Sail and Sign account so that I don't end up paying it out on a credit card later. I was just wondering what happens if you use up the amount you put on the account--do they cut it off and you cannot buy anything until you put down more cash or what? Thanks!

You put down a certain amount in cash (there is a minimum to secure your account, appro $200pp)... if you get close to that amount, they will call you so you can come put more cash down or give them a credit card to pay for the rest.

Another option for you if you're still far enough out would be to 'pre-pay' your S&S account. Call Carnival and tell them you want to purchase funship dollars and apply them directly to your account. This way, you don't have to worry about bring a ton of cash or traveller's checks with you and you won't have a hefty credit card bill at the end of the cruise. You can buy as much as you want and it will be waiting for you as 'onboard credit' when you board.

If you "pre pay" on your sign and sail card and don't use all the money on it, what happens to the money? Do they refund you the rest in cash, check or what? How long does it take for that to happen? I'd like to put money down ahead of time so I don't have to carry the cash on board but would worry we wouldn't use it all! Sometimes we don't buy pictures or drink much at all, othertimes we spend like we were rich and then regret it!

If you "pre pay" on your sign and sail card and don't use all the money on it, what happens to the money? Do they refund you the rest in cash, check or what? How long does it take for that to happen? I'd like to put money down ahead of time so I don't have to carry the cash on board but would worry we wouldn't use it all! Sometimes we don't buy pictures or drink much at all, othertimes we spend like we were rich and then regret it!

They give you a check for any money that has not been spent.

We used the cash method for our S & S. We put $500 down. Immediately off the top they take the gratuity's, $10 per person per day. It was our first cruise so you know we bought every picture and a piece of art. We didn't have a large bar bill (smuggled the booze). I watched our S&S every day via the tv in the room and went to the pursers desk when I had to replenish. It was very easy. We were told that if there was a balance after, we would get a check issued to us before departing. We did have a balance of 90 cents left over and I was not going to stand in line for that.

We have never had to stand in line. They have always slipped the check under our door on the last night. If you want it cashed at the desk the last morning then you may have to stand in line. Otherwise, you can just wait and cash it when you get back home.

We used our bank card (debit) with a Mastercard logo at embarkation and never heard a word from them all week. Now I'm looking at my bank account and they are withdrawing in intervals. In my opinion that's the way to go. You don't have to worry about being denied and you won't have to stand in line. Afterall, a bank card "is" cash.

Would you consider maybe just putting it on a cc and then pay it off when you get home with the money that you have 'set aside' for your S&S card?? That way, you only have to bring the amount of cash that you think you'll need on the islands. And you won't have to worry about having enough cash with you...

We used our bank card (debit) with a Mastercard logo at embarkation and never heard a word from them all week. Now I'm looking at my bank account and they are withdrawing in intervals. In my opinion that's the way to go. You don't have to worry about being denied and you won't have to stand in line. Afterall, a bank card "is" cash.

Most debit cards have a daily maximum limit on them. When I have bought larger items with one it had to be charged up to the maximum over a period of days. That could be the reason for this. If it is it could cause your card to be denied those days if you try to use it elsewhere so you might want to verify that with your bank to be sure.

We used the cash method for our S & S. We put $500 down. Immediately off the top they take the gratuity's, $10 per person per day. It was our first cruise so you know we bought every picture and a piece of art. We didn't have a large bar bill (smuggled the booze). I watched our S&S every day via the tv in the room and went to the pursers desk when I had to replenish. It was very easy. We were told that if there was a balance after, we would get a check issued to us before departing. We did have a balance of 90 cents left over and I was not going to stand in line for that.

How do you fill out the cruise docs when you use the cash method? The section where they ask for your credit card information is what I'm referring to. Do you just leave it blank?

i just went on a cruise with the parents and brought 400 in cash to put on my s&s..when my dad was checking in at the desk the rep informed him that i needed a credit card...it caused some tension with me and the parents from the get go because i had to go on my parents s&s. I felt like a little kid again...my mom looked at me and said "why didnt you bring a credit card, everybody knows that you need a credit card"...i explained that i brought the 400 dollars to put up as deposit, and i didnt want to keep up with the credit card..she looked at me like i was insane...sucky start.

I have never had a problem with cash. You skip the part of the docs that ask about your credit card. Then when you get on the ship, you go to the pursers desk and put down your deposit. We have never had a problem. It is also a good way to stay within your budget. With a credit card, you might be tempted to just spend a little extra.

At least this method always works for me, but it really comes down to the individual. I think I may purchase funbucks this time and apply before we get onboard.

Either way, have a great cruise.

Guys! I've been back a week and my Debit (Mastercard) has just cleared the bank. It is as good as cash, you don't have to see the Pursor and you don't hear a thing about it all week. If you're looking to use cash for sign and sail why not use debit.

Archived