CHACCHOBEN MAYAN RUINS for 5 year old

sdf89

We just learned today that our cruise has been diverted to Costa Maya. We are considering CHACCHOBEN MAYAN RUINS with David and Ivan, but wondered how it would be for a 5 year old? We would be doing just the ruins tour (3.5 hrs). Also DW has some knee and hip arthritis, how much climbing does one do??

Since I don't have a small child, I can't give you much advice re: 5 year old

However re: climbing and stuff

I went on this excursion and I have arthritis in both knees and I was recovering from an ankle injury and a back injury. I managed just fine. There is not a lot of climbing. Your wife WILL probably require some assistance at the 'grand basiamento' (sp?) because there are some steep, uneven steps. (BE SURE to go around to the side where there are fewer steps. There are 30 steps on the main stair but only 15 around the side). I needed some assistance there but it is worth the effort. The views from the "grand basiamento" are great and the structures on top of it are definitely worth seeing. There are a lot of benches and places to sit at the site - so she will have ample opportunities to rest her knees.

While I enjoyed the Mayan tour with David and Ivan, Ivan was very good and included a lot of information. The younger kids 5-9 seemed bored. He does a lot of talking. The ride out to the ruins is almost an hour....I suppose if you find a childs book on the Mayans and "talk it up" before you go, it might be O.K.

I remember my parents dragging me to the ruins in Cancun when I was a teenager. It was so boring at that stage in my life. I couldn't wait to get back to the hotel....I can't imagine taking our 14, 12 and 7 year olds to the ruins. I think we will do the beach and water sport thing.

We took our 8yr. old He enjoyed climbing up the stairs and running around, but the talk and the presentation we adults loved, was really boring to him. Children don't have the same attention span we do. During the hr. drive to the ruins, he slept and he slept on our way back as well. We stopped at the village and he enjoyed visiting with the children, but I think he would have enjoyed it more if we had stayed at the beach all day. Our 12 yr old enjoyed, but I think it was a bit long for her as well.

Archived