20+ Group...same plane or not?

tripman

Hello, (already posted this question elsewhere, hoping for some more input)

I will be traveling in a group of 20ish people in a few months. We arranged air through Princess, we are all coming from Detroit.

How will this work, will we all be on the same flight or will we be spread all throughout the day on different airlines, times, etc?

Thanks

Did you book as a group? I would think if you booked together as a group the chances are you will be on the same flights if there is room available on those flights. The airline might be the limiting factor.

I think there is no guarantee. Cruise lines book airline seats at 30 to 60 days out. They are constricted by which flights have available seats at their contract prices. You may get lucky and all of you may be on the same flight. But at the same time, at 30 to 60 days out there may only be a few contract seats available on each flight so you could very well be split up, and not just between two flights. The only way to guarantee that you will all be on the same flight is to pay deviation fees and choose your flights yourselves.

I think there is no guarantee. Cruise lines book airline seats at 30 to 60 days out.

That is correct, there is no guarantee. I did have a group of all my family members, a total of 35 people, all on the same flights so it is a possibility.

Going to the ship, we all wore the same shirts. The USAirways agent noticed this (how could she miss it) and opened a counter just for my group. We all stayed at the same hotel the night prior and were being shuttled to the airport in groups of 12 but she held the counter open untill everyone arrived.

Are you flying down the day of departure? That's about the only reason I know of to use the cruise line's air (as they are then responsible for getting you to the ship in the event of delays) If not, and if you can still change plans, why not book the air for the group yourself? Then you will have control of things.

Check the price difference. It might make sense to go down a day early and get a room in Ft Lauderdale. That way you get on the ship fresh and ready to play instead of stressed from traveling. We always go the day before and book our own air.

And even IF the cruise air requires them to get you to the ship regardless.. Is it worth possibly missing the sailing and not catching up with the ship until 2 days later in the caribbean?

Are you flying down the day of departure? That's about the only reason I know of to use the cruise line's air (as they are then responsible for getting you to the ship in the event of delays) If not, and if you can still change plans, why not book the air for the group yourself? Then you will have control of things.

Check the price difference. It might make sense to go down a day early and get a room in Ft Lauderdale. That way you get on the ship fresh and ready to play instead of stressed from traveling. We always go the day before and book our own air.

And even IF the cruise air requires them to get you to the ship regardless.. Is it worth possibly missing the sailing and not catching up with the ship until 2 days later in the caribbean?

I'm aware of all of this. Unfortunately, I'm not paying, my grandmother is (for everyone for her birthday), so I have little say.

You probably won't know until 30 days or less before you leave. There is no guarantee you will be on the same flight, or even leave from the same airport.

We have only booked cruise line air once, never again. I probably shouldn't say that, sometime in the future we may have to for an overseas cruise. But for flights within the U.S., Canada or Puerto Rico, we will book our own. The ariline seated us apart from our children, fortunately a very kind woman moved her seat so I could sit with my 6 year old.

All that said, don't stress over this. The way it is booked, you have no control, without paying extra. Just wait and see what happens, wish for the best outcome and even if you are separated for the flight, you still have the cruise together!

You probably won't know until 30 days or less before you leave. There is no guarantee you will be on the same flight, or even leave from the same airport.

We have only booked cruise line air once, never again. I probably shouldn't say that, sometime in the future we may have to for an overseas cruise. But for flights within the U.S., Canada or Puerto Rico, we will book our own. The ariline seated us apart from our children, fortunately a very kind woman moved her seat so I could sit with my 6 year old.

All that said, don't stress over this. The way it is booked, you have no control, without paying extra. Just wait and see what happens, wish for the best outcome and even if you are separated for the flight, you still have the cruise together!

Thank you for the input. Although I'm really not all that concerned either way, I'm just asking because I don't know what to expect.

Archived