Name changes after marriage

canadaman111

My wife and i are booked in feb. 2022 on the Mardi Gras.  We weren't married when we booked, but got married this past summer.  We are booked with early saver.  I can't find a whole lot of recent info on this.  What I can find some people say they will change the name for free after seeing the marriage certificate, others say we will have a $50 fee.  

I have been avoiding the phone call to carnival to deal with it.  What do you guys expect they are going to tell me?

I had the same scenario, booked under my maiden name for a honeymoon cruise, and traveled with my drivers license with my married name (I was able to get it updated right before leaving on honeymoon).  She will need to bring her marriage certificate to bridge the updated travel documents (ie, Drivers License) from the birth certificate and booking documents.  Or -- if she doesnt update her drivers license, she can still travel under her maiden name/booking name.   But will still need to provide a birth certificate + Drivers License.  

As long as you have your Marriage Certificate, US Passport, or other proof of citizenship you can sail.

Some people get married the same day as the cruise of a day or two before.

Just bring all of your documents to the pier.

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The only truly important thing is make sure the manifest that the ship has either matches exactly to your travel documents OR you have a proper paper trail (marriage license) to explain the discrepancy.  But as others have said, this is easy to deal with by phone and does not involve some kind of 'name change' fee.    

It is a problem when you go to board and your name is not on the sailing manifest.

Most of the time you will not be let past security at the entrance to the facility.

Even if you do manage somehow, scanning your passport will not work.

What happens next can vary.....but I would suspect your would be denied.

David

On 1/4/2021 at 10:59 PM, DAllenTCY said:

As long as you have your Marriage Certificate, US Passport, or other proof of citizenship you can sail.

Some people get married the same day as the cruise of a day or two before.

Just bring all of your documents to the pier.

David

This - As long as you have all your documents - including the Marriage Certificate - this worked for us.

As long as you have the documents to connect the two names (marriage certificate original copy showing maiden name to married name) she should be allowed to board if her booking name is maiden and her ID (passport/drivers license) is married name.  Make sure you take original documents.  I would call ahead to my PVP and get it changed.  This is the reason we use a PVP...we have a person that will take care of us.  (My daughter sailed with us and her passport was still maiden name but her booking name was married name.  I had taken a picture of her marriage certificate and had it on my phone.  They allowed her to board.  I had no idea until we showed up her passport was still maiden name!)