American / Lost Seats?

NHWhiteMountains

Has this happened to anyone else? We booked our plane reservations thru American last August/September (Boston to San Juan) leaving Saturday 3/4/06 @ 12:15. Our seats were all assigned (five of us). They changed the flight to 12:11 (4 minutes earlier) and dropped two of the five seat assignments. They're now saying that all seats have been assigned, the rest are at airport day of checkin. I'm wondering if they've oversold the flight and there is a chance we won't get on the plane? We're not experienced travelers and I don't know whether to be concerned or not. Any advice?

The four of us, myself,dh,dd,dsil are flying out 2/18 from Newark to Miami. I was able to get seats for myself and dh but not for the rest of the party. Our TA booked through Carnival last March. Is there any way mt dhanddsil can get bumped off the flight? Doesn't Carnival have to hold the ship if our TA booked through them? Not sleeping in New jersey!

Teeach, don't panic! If the airline overbooks and not enough people cancel prior to the flight, they will first ask for volunteers to take a later flight - they usually offer a free coach ticket, so they get plenty of people who aren't in a hurry to get where they're going. If that doesn't work, they can bump passengers, and I don't know how they pick who flies and who doesn't. I seriously doubt that they would kick off part of a group.

First, try to check in online the night before your flight. You may have the opportunity to select seats at that time. If that doesn't work, go to the airport at the recommended time, or maybe 15 minutes earlier, and try the automated kiosks that I think Newark has. If that doesn't work, you'll have to get in line to speak with an agent, but I would try the other two options to avoid having to wait. Better yet, put one of your party in line while you try the kiosk, then if that doesn't work, join him or her.

Has this happened to anyone else? We booked our plane reservations thru American last August/September (Boston to San Juan) leaving Saturday 3/4/06 @ 12:15. Our seats were all assigned (five of us). They changed the flight to 12:11 (4 minutes earlier) and dropped two of the five seat assignments. They're now saying that all seats have been assigned, the rest are at airport day of checkin. I'm wondering if they've oversold the flight and there is a chance we won't get on the plane? We're not experienced travelers and I don't know whether to be concerned or not. Any advice?

Just happened to my family on AA-booked last Oct. for a flight in April. I was told you are guarenteed a seat but not gaurenteed to sit together. They also told me to keep checking everyday on line for any cancellations or seats opening up -together. The flight was booked, I thought yeah right. Low & behold about 5 days later there were seats showing available & together --& I grabbed them! So keep checking everyday -several times a day if you the time-especially if you would prefer to sit together.

Archived