OBC vs FCCs

Littleribbie

Greetings! Could someone explain the difference please. Like many, we have a fair amt. of FCC from several cancelled cruises in 2020 and now our 2021 cruises. Except for the deposit our 2021 cruises were paid for using the 2020 FCCs. Anyway we only have 1 b2b booked for 2022 and have paid only a small deposit and the rest will be paid by previous FCC. Can the remainder FCCs basically be used as cash at the end of the cruise?....I have read the NCL info on what the FCCs can and can not be used for and I think I understand it. We only have a small token OBC from the Travel Agency so Im not even sure if they will put it towards our next cruise. We are not drinkers per se and will not purchase the drink package but can we use the FCC if we decide to have a drink with dinner? .....and any idea why we HAVE TO pre book excursions prior to sailing in order to use the FCC? Thanks for any help

The answer to your question appears to be no.  According to NCL's FAQ:

What can the FCC be used for?

Any bonus FCC amount is applied only to the voyage fare. The original, full value FCC can be applied and used for the following:

• Voyage Fare
  • NCFs
  • Government Fees and Taxes
  • Pre-paid service charges
  • Beverage or dining gratuities (if part of the Free At Sea promotion selection)
  • Air purchased through Norwegian Cruise Line
  • Hotel purchased through Norwegian Cruise Line
  • Cruise tours purchased through Norwegian Cruise Line
  • Pre-booked and pre-paid shore excursions
  • Transfers
  • Essentials, Booksafe Standard or Platinum Travel Protection insurance (if purchased on the original suspended reservation)

Is there anything the FCC cannot be used for?

The FCC cannot be applied or used for the following:

• Amenities
  • Dining/beverage packages that are not part of the Free At Sea program
  • Internet packages that are not part of the Free At Sea program
  • Shore excursions booked while onboard
  • Onboard credit
  • Water/soda packages
  • Bottles of wine
  • Bon voyage gifts and celebration packages
  • Photo packages

• 11 months later...

You can use it for thermal suite access. Hotels before ... etc. But it can not be used onboard. With my experience I think there is a simple reason. These transactions take a bit of work to complete. We have made several transactions with our fcc. Drinks, Hotels, Thermal Suite (etc). So I think to simplify the process they made it contingent on before sailing. But not 100% sure. 

But to be clear you can not use your FCC at dinner.

This was our logic. I drink. My partner does not. But she does enjoy a good glass of wine. Pellegrino. Good Coffee. Virgin Drinks. So it made sense to go ahead and use our FCC for this. It will be nice to never check the app to see how much we are spending. Also unlimited bottled water is a huge plus. 

Hotel was a wonderful perk as well.

Finally giving her access to the thermal suite was a huge perk. She deserves it.

Edited by raschueller