Improvement in Canadian $ exhange rate

david,Mississauga

At least some Canadian members may have received an e-mail from Cunard about an improvement in the exchange rate for the Canadian $ vs the U.D. $ - a reduction from 35% to 30%. This puts it in line with what Canadian banks are charging.

The e-mail says this reduction is applicable to "new bookings made after January 12." I contacted my travel agent who was able to get us the reduced rate for our Alaska cruise for June 2022 which we booked two months ago. Cunard said we had to cancel and re-book, but we kept the same stateroom and all the perks we had from our original booking. It was well worth it. For 10 days in PG the saving was Can.$604.

• Like 1

As a Canadian, I also received the email. I was wondering what the rate Cunard had been charging. Now I know. Thanks. A bit better and I hope that it continues to improve.

I had a cruise booked but it was cancelled. I left my deposit with Cunard as I thought they needed the money more than I did at that time. They still have my deposit, but I do not think it makes a difference. When I book, I will just pay 130% for the cruise rather than 135%.

It is not easy for me to compare the US$ and Can.$ rates because Cunard knows I am in Canada and will only quote the Can.$ rate. I know I could get a programme installed that would give me flexibility, but I have never bothered to do so. When I get a brochure in the post or through e-mail, the sample fares are always in US$. By going to Cunard's Website and making an enquiry through the booking section I will automatically get the Can.$ equivalent.

Not that many years ago Cunard was charging only 20% for the conversion. This was a very good deal for us in Canada as it was less than the rate charged by banks. As our dollar dropped in value I knew it wouldn't last, and in a few years the exchange rose by 5% increments to 35%. The rate has not always been consistent. The last time I made comparisons I found some inside cabins that were less than 30% and some Queens Grill suites that were over 40% - even for the same voyage - but the vast majority of categories were 35%.

Our travel agent said it is possible for Canadians to pay in US$ if it is to our advantage.