Applying Multiple FCCs – Trouble Reconciling the Numbers

lgdesign

Forgive me if this has been addressed... pretty sure it has been but couldn't locate it.

I'm late to the game applying my multiple FCCs to a reservation.  In addition to their so-called "30% off sale", I applied a 50% FCC and 10% FCC to my Greek Isles cruise.

Despite having done the math eight ways from Sunday, I can not for the life of me figure out how they came up with price reduction I got.  It's about $140 less per person than I expected and I think they're doing something funky in their accounting system when they figure out the prices using multiple FCCs for one cruise.  Must be the "new" math.  

I called my PCC and got an "explanation" that in the moment seemed to make sense... this evaporated instantly when I went back to crunching the numbers and still got whacky results.

Am I alone in this?  Anyone else puzzled by their FCC-reduced pricing when applying multiple FCCs?

Thanks in advance...

1 hour ago, TrumpyNor said:

The extra 10% future FCC discount is normally taken directly off the total cabin price before any other discounts (or amenities) are applied.

Forgot to say that this means that the rest of your discounts are taken from an amount that is LOWER than the original "full price". I am guessing this is the reason why the total discount in $$$ is lower than when you did your calculation...

Edited by TrumpyNor

6 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

The extra 10% future FCC discount is taken directly off the total cabin price before any other discounts (or amenities) are applied.

Are the 10% some "extra" FCC that you received, as some additional compensation for taking FCC instead of a refund? If that is the case, then the 10% is calculated off the cabin price on your ORIGINAL booking, the one that got cancelled. So that the amunt will not nessecary equal 10% off your new booking. Sorry, I am getting very confused myself here.... 😄

Edited by TrumpyNor

And after talking to my PCC again, we both went through the numbers again, figured out some things and got re-confused about others.

Bottom line... NCL's accounting regarding their FCCs (especially stacking them) is Machiavellian and I surrender... my numbers are close enough for government work as a friend used to say.

• Like 2

You know, at first a lot of people were concern about getting only part of their FCCs when the amount was emailed to them. As it turned out - the other part goes to the spouse, etc.

It can be frustrated trying to see how they come up with their math/ numbers.

But it should not be wrong.

When 10% discount and FCCs are both applied together in the same booking, they always calculate the 10% discount first, and FCC fare reduction in the second step.

Even though you try to apply FCCs first before the 10% discount, their system will eventually "rearrange" the math so that the 10% discount will be calculated first.

Example:

- Fare $1000

- You have 10% discount and FCC $200

Final price (correct)

Step 1: 10% discount = $900

Step 2: minus $200 FCC = $700

Final price (incorrect)

Step 1: minus $200 FCC = $800

Step 2: 10% discount = $720

This is my observation so far on my reservations. But I don't know if there are other scenarios or restrictions that will result in a different calculation on other people.

I too struggled to figure out how the FCC was applied the first time our cruise was canceled.  Then our rebooked cruise was also canceled and the applied discounts and FCC's got really weird!!  My scenario is further complicated in that the cruise was booked via CAS (with their price structure), an upgraded cabin category AND a switch from 5-day to 7-day.  We had excursions booked, too - haha.  I had nothing better to do so I created a spreadsheet and started crunching the numbers.  I couldn't get an exact match to their final number but it was pretty close.  Hoping the rebooked cruises sail (December 2021 and March 2022) so I don't have to keep recalculating...  

• Like 2

yes, this also happened to me.  I did the math and it did not add up.  Futhermore, when my second cruise was cancelled I didn't get the full amount back.  I got after the 25%.  I gave up trying to fight it.  I'm going with what I orginally paid and have paid since for my new booking which is in the Haven in August.  It's the easiest way to deal with it for me bc I got nowhere with NCL.  Even asked for supervisor.  Nothing.  Their calculators are magic apparently. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Same story.  I'm an accountant with a long career in hospitality, so I wanted to figure it out.  I couldn't.  I asked two different times for an accounting of my original payment, cancellation bonuses, FCC and how it related to the new cruise.  Never got anything and ultimately gave up and It's close, so I'll take what we get.

• Like 1