Warning-San Juan and Luggage

Just a warning for those travelling to and from San Juan. I've done a lot of travelling and seen some rough handling of luggage but this trip to San Juan was, by far, the worst I've ever seen.

While waiting for our luggage to arrive, I saw not just one or two pieces but quite a few come out busted open, torn, ripped, handles broken, and wheels busted up. I never seen anywhere near that many before and wondered what had happened.

When flying back out of there, I had time to watch the luggage being handled by the inside porters, TSA, and the people loading it on the planes. In all places, they were throwing it around like I've never seen before, even TSA. Luggage tossed six to ten feet across the floor, bounced off walls, and shoved off racks to the floor and tarmac six feet below. I saw one piece split open, it and its contents shoved in a wad in a box and taped up and sent on. I can't believe the airlines aren't getting enough claims at this airport to do something about it.

Just wanted to let you know that maybe you don't want to spend a lot of money for luggage when travelling there. Mine made it through with just minor damage but check yours out before you leave the airport.

Booze smugglers might want to take extra precautions too.:eek:

I've always found the people of San Juan to be warm, helpful, and caring. This seems to be so out of place for there.

Our new luggage set was torn to shreds on our last cruise out of San Juan. Not just one piece either. DH will never cruise out of there again. Really bad experience getting on and off the ship. Luckily there are several ports in Florida!

Just a warning for those travelling to and from San Juan. ...the worst I've ever seen...for our luggage.

The last time we were there one piece of our luggage was rendered useless by the time we got TO the ship. Luckily we were able to get some duct tape.

I guess it hasn't gotten any better there.

We are headed back in Jan 07...

wrp96 - keep us posted. :cool:

Back in 1990, one of mine had the whole side CUT out of it and my clothes were going around the belt in little piles. That included my undergarments. :o The rest of the things were still in the luggage minus the side of it..

I always dread what to expect when flying there.:mad:

My DH and I flew into and out of San Juan last week. Our luggage was not severely damaged but it sure showed mistreatment as though dragged across the pavement or dropped. Isn't there anything RCCL can do about it? I sure won't spend a lot on luggage either to fly to/from San Juan again!!!!!

We were just on the Serenade about 3 weeks ago, and got to 'experience' the airport at San Juan. What a madhouse! Definitely get a porter when you arrive at this airport. Otherwise, you'll stand in the taxi line forever. It's definitely worth tipping a porter to cut out some of the hassle.

One piece of our luggage got lost on the way home from San Juan (luckily I got it back later the next day). Another piece got a hole in the bottom of it...it looked like it got caught on a conveyer belt or something. All 4 pieces (which were brand new, and bright red prior to the cruise) came home looking rather battle-worn. They're now very dingy, and have dark black streaks all over them. I've never had luggage look THAT bad after a single plane trip before.

Amazingly, the 6 bottles of liquor I had packed in 2 pieces of the luggage made it through unscathed...but I had them well padded in plastic bags and dirty shirts. :D

We're flying into San Juan on Saturday. This is definately scaring me. Any suggestions of what to do?

Take a small roll of duct tape....just in case your suitcase zipper breaks, or they rip something. Of course, if you've been on Cruise Critic for awhile, you'll know that's just 1 of the 101 uses for duct tape while on a cruise. :)

Pack your cameras, medications, etc in your carryon luggage. Don't trust them with anything breakable, or not easily replacable. Really, that goes for any airport, not just SJU.

I was on a balcony above the door where they unload the luggage from the ship. This was the week after the whole baggage handlers strike in 2004.

I've never seen anything like it. Wheels and pieces were flying everywhere which were kicked about by the luggage handlers. Misc pieces of clothing shot out of the door every once in a while, it was put into a pile near the side of the ramp.

Luggage that was hanging off the luggage carts was jammed in between the railings as the carts were pulled out, stuff falling off and getting run over, luggage ripped wide open with stuff just hanging out.

I watched one of my bags fall about 8 ft from the top of a cart only to be dragged upside down for about 20 ft, then thrown onto the top of another cart and then disappear into the terminal.

This was all just getting them off the ship, can't imagine what happens to the pieces next.

It was like the old samsonite commercials except a lot of the luggage didn't pass the test.

Just wanted to let you know that maybe you don't want to spend a lot of money for luggage when travelling there.

Or, looking at it from the other side, it may be an argument for investing in really good luggage that can withstand the abuse. :)

Tracy

Just a warning for those travelling to and from San Juan. I've done a lot of travelling and seen some rough handling of luggage but this trip to San Juan was, by far, the worst I've ever seen.

While waiting for our luggage to arrive, I saw not just one or two pieces but quite a few come out busted open, torn, ripped, handles broken, and wheels busted up. I never seen anywhere near that many before and wondered what had happened.

When flying back out of there, I had time to watch the luggage being handled by the inside porters, TSA, and the people loading it on the planes. In all places, they were throwing it around like I've never seen before, even TSA. Luggage tossed six to ten feet across the floor, bounced off walls, and shoved off racks to the floor and tarmac six feet below. I saw one piece split open, it and its contents shoved in a wad in a box and taped up and sent on. I can't believe the airlines aren't getting enough claims at this airport to do something about it.

Just wanted to let you know that maybe you don't want to spend a lot of money for luggage when travelling there. Mine made it through with just minor damage but check yours out before you leave the airport.

Booze smugglers might want to take extra precautions too.:eek:

I've always found the people of San Juan to be warm, helpful, and caring. This seems to be so out of place for there.

I must admit DW and I never encountered a problem with damaged luggage in San Juan. Maybe because we do a pre and post cruise stay and we retrieve our luggage at the airport and then go right to the hotel. From the hotel, we transport our own luggage until we get to the pier and give it to the porters right before we walk in. I actually watched the porters at the cruise pier handle my luggage for a brief moment. It was put with other cruise pax luggage from our ship and category. Upon delivery it was fine. Is this just the experience of those pax with cruise air who fly in the day of the cruise? DW and I are sailing on our 14th cruise (12th from San Juan) this April. Maybe we are just lucky thus far not to have this problem. In any event, Iwould raise hell if it happens. Someone would be held accountable.

jcruise

We have friends who flew into SJ in a heavy rain. Their bags were taken off the plane and sat out in the rain long enough to get most of the contents wet. It was her their first cruise and one they much anticipated. Lisa said the worst part was finding the beautiful new gown she had purchased for fomal night all wet and the colors bleeding is some spots.

Sad, huh?

HMMMM We too stayed at a hotel pre-cruise. Transported our luggage (not expensive stuff at all !) ourselves to hotel and to ship. Then getting off we kept our luggage with us after getting off ship via taxi. We had no problems whatsoever. As a matter of fact....had more problems on our flight to Mazatlan in Sept. 04. It went to Monterrey :eek: we did get it the next day but it was a little banged up but ok.

Sounds like the big problem is in the transport from airport to ship and back by the cruiselines.... ??

Archived