Royal Caribbean pre-planner currency & Drinks package question

Hi all, 

I've taken the plunge and booked a cruise I only half believe will actually occur - a Sydney-Queensland cruise on Ovation in November. 

However it's my first time on RC and despite hunting around here and online for a couple of hours or so I can't find clear answers. 

1. Is there any way to change the currency on the pre-cruise planner to USD, as it's currently only AUD? Given we're currently at 80c AUD/USD the drinks packages are at $92AUD/72USD, which seems at the higher end of their usual pricing (I've heard as low as $53USD on some offers).
  2. Is it true the drinks package includes cocktails only up to $12USD on Aus sailings? Given the pricing on this thread from 2 years ago, that would even exclude things like an Aperol spritz as well as all the premium cocktails. That dramatically drops the value imho. 
  3. Can you ensure that your card is charged in USD so you don't get charged a poor currency exchange? I have an exchange fee free card I'd like to use for that. 

I'm still unlikely to get the drinks packages as I'm travelling with someone who really only would drink a few coffees and maybe 1-2 drinks a day, so it'll likely not be worth it, but thought I'd ask just in case the prices drops enough. 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, adelaidefc said:

Hi all, 

I've taken the plunge and booked a cruise I only half believe will actually occur - a Sydney-Queensland cruise on Ovation in November. 

However it's my first time on RC and despite hunting around here and online for a couple of hours or so I can't find clear answers. 

1. Is there any way to change the currency on the pre-cruise planner to USD, as it's currently only AUD? Given we're currently at 80c AUD/USD the drinks packages are at $92AUD/72USD, which seems at the higher end of their usual pricing (I've heard as low as $53USD on some offers).
  2. Is it true the drinks package includes cocktails only up to $12USD on Aus sailings? Given the pricing on this thread from 2 years ago, that would even exclude things like an Aperol spritz as well as all the premium cocktails. That dramatically drops the value imho. 
  3. Can you ensure that your card is charged in USD so you don't get charged a poor currency exchange? I have an exchange fee free card I'd like to use for that. 

I'm still unlikely to get the drinks packages as I'm travelling with someone who really only would drink a few coffees and maybe 1-2 drinks a day, so it'll likely not be worth it, but thought I'd ask just in case the prices drops enough. 

Thanks!

OK... my information may not be 100% correct as nobody knows what will happen when cruising resumes, but here's what I can tell you:

1. No.Cruises booked through RC Australia and sailing from Australia work in AUD. Forget about winning on exchange rates, as RC will ensure you never win.

2.Forget about the pricing of drinks. The way RC packages work will ensure that standard drinks and cocktails are included in the package. All your standard two shot cocktails will be covered, and it will only be three shot drinks or ones using top shelf booze will cost extra. The same goes for wine and spirits... you will have quite a good selection available within the package.

3. I don't think so, for the same reason as in 1 above, but I'm not 100%.

As for the drink package pricing, again who knows in the new era, but previously the prices fluctuated wildly. For a cruise to NZ on Radiance that was cancelled at the last minute, the package price varied from $90.42 down to a low of $65.76 over the 12 months I was tracking it. The beauty with RC is that if you purchase something in the Cruise Planner, and the price then drops, you can always cancel and repurchase at the lower price. You will need to pay for the new purchase up front, and then wait for a refund on the cancelled one. For the Radiance sailing we ended up doing this five times.

As for the value of the package, everyone needs to work this out for themselves. Here's an example for a port day (with some rough prices):

Breakfast - Fresh juice $3.50

- Proper coffee $3.50

Water x 2 to take ashore $6.00

Afternoon cocktail $10.00

Pre dinner drink $10.00

Dinner - glass of wine $10.00

After dinner cocktail $10.00

Water x 2 to take back to cabin $6.00

That's $59 spent, and if you didn't have the package, you would need to add the 18% gratuity, taking it to about $70. On a sea day, you would possibly have a few more drinks, even if it were more coffees or soft drinks in the afternoon.

On top of the monetary cost, there's a couple of other points to note...

With the drink package, you can try a drink, and if you don't like it, put it down and order something different. Could be a cocktail or a wine with dinner, but it doesn't cost you any extra. You also don't have to worry about a drinks bill at the end of the cruise.... less to worry about = more enjoyable holiday 🙂 

Ignore all the people that will say you need to be rolling drunk 10 hours per day to get value out of a drink package. As you can see in my example, four alcoholic drinks in a day, and you've broken even at $70 for the package. Throw in a few soft drinks, mocktails or coffees, and you could probably break even at two drinks per day.

Work out your own rough break even point, and then start checking the cruise planner on a regular basis.

Edited by Balsam12
typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow. Thankyou so much for such an informative and detailed reply! I really appreciate it. 

Your thinking very much matches mine, but given the more expensive ($14USD inc gratuities) cocktails are the ones I was most interested in, I wanted to make sure they were included.  

Given it's an Aus cruise there won't be gratuities onboard, but judging by the drinks menu I linked from an Australian cruise they adjust prices to account for that. 

56 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

As for the drink package pricing, again who knows in the new era, but previously the prices fluctuated wildly. For a cruise to NZ on Radiance that was cancelled at the last minute, the package price varied from $90.42 down to a low of $65.76 over the 12 months I was tracking it.

I assume given that was a NZ cruise those prices are in AUD? At $65 each it would be a no-brainer if with one person in the cabin a 2-3 cocktail a day + coffee/softdrink/water person. Especially given it's only 2 ports in 7 days. 

I've only ever been on two cruises, one with a package, one without, and I really enjoyed the flexibility of having it, trying things I otherwise wouldn't and not thinking about the cost.  

Your cruise planner is through Royal Caribbean Australia and they only have $AU .
 Purchases are processed in Australia so there’s no international fee.

The same as you purchases onboard they will be processed in Sydney.

You can easily cancel anything you purchase on the cruise planner upto about 3 days before the cruise.

So if you have bought something and there’s a special.Just cancel and rebook. It will take a couple of days to get the first refunded.

The drinks onboard are expensive and there was a 18% gratuity added to all onboard purchases.

But who knows what the future will bring as they will want to recover the billions they have lost.

You said you are traveling with someone who doesn’t drink much?

If they are in your cabin they have to buy the drinks package also.

You can get out of that rule with a medical certificate but they will have to buy the refreshments package.

The drinks package is good,it’s convenient,just flash your card a couple of times and they remember you.

But people tend to try to get their money’s worth and wipe their self out and it does ware off after a couple of days.

You are allowed to bring  two 750ml bottles of wine per cabin and 12 nonalcoholic drinks under 500ml, for consumption in your Cabin. On embarking 

I haven’t ever bought the drinks package ,

I just buy a couple beers ,maybe a drink of the day . 

Edited by Chiliburn

12 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Apparently cruise planner is going to be changing and will be called My Royal Cruise.

And to conflict with my advice,purchases may be none refundable.

Yikes that would be unfortunate (unless they compensated with lower prices, which I doubt). 

I imagine with the medical certificate you'd have to call RC to arrange purchasing the package then send them the certificate?

4 hours ago, adelaidefc said:

Yikes that would be unfortunate (unless they compensated with lower prices, which I doubt). 

I imagine with the medical certificate you'd have to call RC to arrange purchasing the package then send them the certificate?

If they changed it to non refundable, but then just set the prices rather than running pretend sales all the time, it would make life much easier.

It would, however, take a lot of the fun out of it... I quite enjoy checking the Cruise Planner every day looking for better prices 🙂

4 hours ago, adelaidefc said:

They don’t make it easy ,believe me I’ve been through it helping friends.

My advice is wait till you get onboard and go to a bar with your cabin mate and just tell them they don’t want to drink because of health.
You won’t have a problem.

You will pay more but you my be able to slip a few drinks to your friend.

But be careful they can get nasty.

I don't think we'll worry about the medical cert, sounds like more trouble than it's worth. We've set a target price of $70AUD for the package and if it doesn't come down to that, it'll probably not be worth getting. 

Though there seems to be mixed messages on gratuities on Aus/NZ cruises. If the prices on this thread have 18% on top, that's some seriously expensive drinks! About AUD$17.50 for a standard cocktail and AUD$21.50 for a premium one, and that's with the present decent conversion! 

@Chiliburn I just had a look and my cruise planner actually does have a very similar look & feel to the official RC pdf you linked to in the Royal Caribbean thread

Though this is my first RC cruise so not sure how it looked before that. 

However the very tiny T&Cs at the bottom of the drinks package do still have a clause stating you can refund a purchased package....for now at least 

RC_TCs.jpg

7 minutes ago, adelaidefc said:

I don't think we'll worry about the medical cert, sounds like more trouble than it's worth. We've set a target price of $70AUD for the package and if it doesn't come down to that, it'll probably not be worth getting. 

Though there seems to be mixed messages on gratuities on Aus/NZ cruises. If the prices on this thread have 18% on top, that's some seriously expensive drinks! About AUD$17.50 for a standard cocktail and AUD$21.50 for a premium one, and that's with the present decent conversion! 

@Chiliburn I just had a look and my cruise planner actually does have a very similar look & feel to the official RC pdf you linked to in the Royal Caribbean thread

Though this is my first RC cruise so not sure how it looked before that. 

However the very tiny T&Cs at the bottom of the drinks package do still have a clause stating you can refund a purchased package....for now at least 

RC_TCs.jpg

The booze package was a couple of months ago at $A 56 Which is good value. I saw it the other day at $105

If you don’t have the drinks package they definitely put %18 on the bill and then they expect more.

You are given 2 recipes,one you have to sign and write the total of the bill and return it to the bar tender.

Theres a space you are expected to give a additional tip. I just round it off to the closest dollar. Put the total and sign it.

Theres reports if you don’t do that, they sometimes give their self a good tip.
Drinks package you don’t have all that it’s a flat rate Just flash your card.

One time I bought me and my sister a martini for her birthday.The 2 drinks where we’ll over $A40.

The reason I don’t get the drinks package is I usually  get access to a lounge with free drinks. Also I take some drinks on boarding and buy a bucket of beer at a bar and put some in the cabin fridge.Thats enough for me.

The new cruise planner isn’t in Australia yet ,it’s just been introduced to Marina of the seas in the Caribbean.
It will be rolled out and it’s a learning process for us at the moment.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, adelaidefc said:

One more very quick question about the planner... I don't see anywhere to choose bedding configuration (we'd like twins). I presume you do that when you do the online check-in?

It will be a double when you get to your cabin,the cabin attendant will find you,they seem to materialise from nowhere.

Just tell them.

I think it’s a question in your online check in but it’s always a double.

28 minutes ago, adelaidefc said:

One more very quick question about the planner... I don't see anywhere to choose bedding configuration (we'd like twins). I presume you do that when you do the online check-in?

That should have been done during the booking process, but you can ring RC to fix this.

Also, did you choose your dining preference? Anytime or Traditional is available and this too is usually a personal choice. If you don’t choose I think it defaults to Anytime dining. 

1 minute ago, adelaidefc said:

Thankyou both. I picked anytime dining but must have missed the bed preference. No biggy I'll either call or do it onboard. 

That’s the way - actually having the bed is a big start at the moment 😉

As soon as you find your room steward once you are on board, if you ask to have the beds returned to Twins, it shouldn’t be a problem for them.

16 minutes ago, adelaidefc said:

Thankyou both. I picked anytime dining but must have missed the bed preference. No biggy I'll either call or do it onboard. 

You are on Ovation.

They have the included  food and then there’s the upcharge restaurants.

Threre so much food and entertainment you won’t know where to go first.

One restaurant that really stands out is wonderland.   GOOD
‘If you can get it a deal,go for it.

They have a deal called Chops plus one.About $ 120 .

You can get chops on the 1st. or 2nd  night and pick a 2nd ,  then pick wonderland.

I've actually wanted to go on a Quantum-class for quite some time, as I've learned I quite enjoy the 'big-ship' floating resort type experience. For me the ship is part of the destination and my floating viewing platform. My other cruises were MSC Bellissima in the Mediterranean and Majestic Princess domestically. The views from the top of the Bellissima over Naples, Valletta and Messina were genuinely unique and amazing (there are no buildings that high there!). 

And Wonderland, for all its gimmicks, is something I'll actually pre-book because I'm really keen to give it a go!  That Chops + 1 package is currently $95, not too bad given Wonderland is $67 in isolation. 

We're forward-ship, just under the Solarium bistro, as I liked the idea of being able to grab food there perhaps a little less busy, as well as the very short stroll to the solarium itself, where I definitely can imagine a cocktail and a sun-lounge enjoying the view. Fingers crossed it all goes ahead, if not, I'll try again later. 🙂 

Edited by adelaidefc
Addition of detail
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, adelaidefc said:

I've actually wanted to go on a Quantum-class for quite some time, as I've learned I quite enjoy the 'big-ship' floating resort type experience. For me the ship is part of the destination and my floating viewing platform. My other cruises were MSC Bellissima in the Mediterranean and Majestic Princess domestically. The views from the top of the Bellissima over Naples, Valletta and Messina were genuinely unique and amazing (there are no buildings that high there!). 

And Wonderland, for all its gimmicks, is something I'll actually pre-book because I'm really keen to give it a go!  That Chops + 1 package is currently $95, not too bad given Wonderland is $67 in isolation. 

We're forward-ship, just under the Solarium bistro, as I liked the idea of being able to grab food there perhaps a little less busy, as well as the very short stroll to the solarium itself, where I definitely can imagine a cocktail and a sun-lounge enjoying the view. Fingers crossed it all goes ahead, if not, I'll try again later. 🙂 

$95 grab it .

Wonderland is weird,lots of science goes into the food.

Chops is good,the mushroom soup ,the crab cakes then the half kilo ribeye. You won’t go hungry.

11 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

$95 grab it .

Wonderland is weird,lots of science goes into the food.

Chops is good,the mushroom soup ,the crab cakes then the half kilo ribeye. You won’t go hungry.

Yeah it's probably worth the extra $28AUD than I was going to pay for just Wonderland I'd say. 

Can you cancel dining packages if they become cheaper like you can with drinks?

Also once again thanks for the advice! This forum has already helped me enjoy my other two cruises more than I would've otherwise. 

1 minute ago, adelaidefc said:

Yeah it's probably worth the extra $28AUD than I was going to pay for just Wonderland I'd say. 

Can you cancel dining packages if they become cheaper like you can with drinks?

Also once again thanks for the advice! This forum has already helped me enjoy my other two cruises more than I would've otherwise. 

I wouldn’t hesitate at $95 for the two .Wonderland is about that ,especially onboard.

And at the moment you can cancel it no questions asked with a full refund.

Another to look at is solarium bistro,it’s free and lots of seafood.

Book it early in the cruise as it gets busy as people start to find it.

On 2/26/2021 at 10:26 AM, adelaidefc said:

Hi all, 

Thanks!

Don’t pre-purchase the drinks package.  Buy it once on board.  You can do that on arrival or at any bar that day or the next.  And just insist your cabin mate is tea-total.  However she most likely will have to buy the soda package.  

You also tell the Purser’s desk at any time during the cruise that you want to be charged in US$. That way they don’t charge you a fortune (well, 3%) for their bank to convert.  This is not through the cruise planner. It is worth confirming on the last day, too.