Pool chair hog

rainbird

We have been on two cruises so far. The only bad thing about the ships are all the chair saving by the pool. I don't think anyone is able to stand 8 hours or more in the sun and live. If everyone just used the chairs when they were at the pool i think there would be more then enough chairs to go around. I think it would be ok to move towels that have been left on chairs for any amont of time, but don't want to get people worked up, it not worth it. We will be one the Carribbean and the Star next year. Anyone have any input or what they have done to get chairs on these ships? Anyone ever think of getting a cruise critic chair group, getting 2-4 chairs and rotating them at different times so we could all take our turns. I like to be by the pool in the eary AM, so someone else could take them about 10-11 and so on. Any throughs?

Just spend about 15 to 20 minutes tops waiting it out. If someone has not returned to the towel covered chair then just grab it for yourself. We had very little trouble finidng seats on the Star, and when we spotted another free one we would grab it and bring it next to our chair for the kids.

chair hogging bothered me a lot on my first cruise, then I said to my wife, why do we want a chair by the pool anyway, Im not into getting splashed and I have no little kids to watch anymore........theres a bunch of empty chairs all over the place:cool:....don't let it bother you...just have fun:D

It all depends if you're an A personality or not. Personally, on an at sea day, I set up a chair in the Sun and my wife sets one in the shade EARLY (by 9:00); I know exactly what music I want to play on my MP3 and what book I want to read, put on SP32 or 48 or whatever; I spend a good 4 to 5 hours there with a (short) break for lunch, and then I'm toast. Around 2:30 or so more chairs seem to open up; before that it's hit or miss; I do see groups who reserve a whole section of chairs and spend very little time there. You can always sit around the pool without using a chair if you're not looking for a long stay; otherwise, you can sometimes move chairs from one deck or area to another, or enlist crew members to help.

Or you can ask someone nearby if anyone has been in the chair lately. If not, remove the paperback book and whatever, put it nicely under the chair and sit down. If anyone looks for "their" chair in the next 15 minutes, I give it up willingly. Otherwise, it's mine until I leave the area.

Want some fun. Play the chair hog game.

Game chair hog rules are simple. There are only 2 rules.

Rule 1: Swap out only right shoe or sandle from one chair and replace it with only the right shoe (different color, style and size naturally) from another chair hog's chair. Works equally well with any item such as a book or etc.

Rule 2: Just wait and watch fun when chair hogs return to find that they now have unmatched and a different sized right shoe on their chair.

We have been on two cruises so far. The only bad thing about the ships are all the chair saving by the pool. I don't think anyone is able to stand 8 hours or more in the sun and live. If everyone just used the chairs when they were at the pool i think there would be more then enough chairs to go around. I think it would be ok to move towels that have been left on chairs for any amont of time, but don't want to get people worked up, it not worth it. We will be one the Carribbean and the Star next year. Anyone have any input or what they have done to get chairs on these ships? Anyone ever think of getting a cruise critic chair group, getting 2-4 chairs and rotating them at different times so we could all take our turns. I like to be by the pool in the eary AM, so someone else could take them about 10-11 and so on. Any throughs?

We were on the Caribbean Princess 1/28/06. If you wanted a chair on Deck 15 around the pool forget it! None to be found during prime sun hours. I never looked there. However if you went to Deck 16, one deck above the pools, there were plenty of chairs especially around MUTS that there was never a problem finding one or two together. I'm not a pool person (and the pool was like a wave pool some days because of the rough seas) so it wasn't an issue for me to be near a pool.

Eileen

We were on the Caribbean Princess 1/28/06. If you wanted a chair on Deck 15 around the pool forget it! None to be found during prime sun hours. I never looked there. However if you went to Deck 16, one deck above the pools, there were plenty of chairs especially around MUTS that there was never a problem finding one or two together. I'm not a pool person (and the pool was like a wave pool some days because of the rough seas) so it wasn't an issue for me to be near a pool.

Eileen

I'm going on the CP March 11th so it is nice to know how to get around chair hogs besides I like watching movies.

Want some fun. Play the chair hog game.

Game chair hog rules are simple. There are only 2 rules.

Rule 1: Swap out only right shoe or sandle from one chair and replace it with only the right shoe (different color, style and size naturally) from another chair hog's chair. Works equally well with any item such as a book or etc.

Rule 2: Just wait and watch fun when chair hogs return to find that they now have unmatched and a different sized right shoe on their chair.

This is a brilliant idea!

I understand that Princess has a 30 minute rule, theoretically if you are not back in that time, a crew member will remove your towel and personal items.

I'm not sure this in enforced, but I'm sure that if you notice that that time period is up, it would be appropriate to ask a crew member to free up the lounge chair. Then when the guilty party returns , you just say "a crew member removed your items, since the chair was empty for 30 minutes".

This is a big problem on cruise ships as is saving seats in the theatre. On our recent Grand Princess trip (where the theatre is quite small), we were trying to enter a row of empty seats, only to have someone from the other end of the row, run up and throw sweaters onto about six seats right before we sat down! Their party didn't arrive until about 20 minutes later. There are many announcements about seat saving, every single night, so there is no excuse for this rude behaviour!

Or you can ask someone nearby if anyone has been in the chair lately. If not, remove the paperback book and whatever, put it nicely under the chair and sit down. If anyone looks for "their" chair in the next 15 minutes, I give it up willingly. Otherwise, it's mine until I leave the area.

Plain and simple. Fair too. Nice outlook

I'm going on the CP March 11th so it is nice to know how to get around chair hogs besides I like watching movies.

Your Welcome. MUTS is not the main pool and kinda out of the main action of the main pool. Nothing beat watching a movie and lying in the sun. On Deck 16 aft and forward are the best locations for finding chairs, midship even on that deck is a little more crowded but you can find one.

Eileen

If those people left, you can take their sweaters and move them all onto one chair. If whoever did it is sitting a row away you can, pick up the sweaters and tell them too bad.;)

We only had one time on the last cruise when we couldn't find deck chairs to sit on. My girl had just gotten some pizza and there weren't any available tables so we looked for free deck chairs. Either filled or the usual towels etc. We didn't want to wait the 15-30 minutes to see if these people returned as her food would get cold, so we went up to the sports deck. Saw a couple of chairs but a nearby person said, her friends were watching the ice carving demo. So girl and I shared the only available chair.

I have a tongue in cheek suggestion...why not chalk the chair every 1/2 hour like parking enforcement. I personally volunteer for that job if I get to have a suite! LOL ;)

Actually, The DH and I have not had an issue with finding a chair because we like to do things early and usually don't stay past lunch. If we do one of us gets the food while the other waits and orders our "beverage of choice". I am have been known to tattle to others looking for a chair if I notice the time "chair taker and not sitter" leaves things. I know no one likes a tattle tale! :)

Archived