Does anyone have information on Liveaboards?

cruzegirl

• 2 weeks later...
I've only done cold water liveaboards, so my information might not interest you.

I'd definitely consider going on a Nekton cruise or Aggressor if I had a sudden financial windfall. Under no circumstances would I go on a Peter Hughes boat.

One other you might consider is the http://www.cuanlaw.com Not as much diving, but plenty of other activities and the food is first class from what friends have told me.

After dealing with Peter Hughes, I second Bruce's recommendation of not considering them under ANY circumstances. Trust me on this one. I do not want to badmouth, just stay away!

Be glad you did not take me up on going on the Sun Dancer II last summer with us, Bruce!!!

I can't see ever booking a Peter Hughes liveaboard myself, but that's my personal decision and in no way would I criticize someone who does.

Think I'll stick to Nekton for awhile...at least until I can book the Odyssey in Truk Lagoon. ;)

I can't see ever booking a Peter Hughes liveaboard myself, but that's my personal decision and in no way would I criticize someone who does.

Think I'll stick to Nekton for awhile...at least until I can book the Odyssey in Truk Lagoon. ;)

Went to the Boston Sea Rovers show last weekend and got discount coupons from the Nekton ($300 of their Cayman itinerary) and Aggressor ($100 off any itinerary) folks. Both seemed about the same price but I'm holding out for Beneath the Seas show outside New York City in a few weeks for better discounts (the bigger the show, seems the bigger the discount). :)

Went to the Boston Sea Rovers show last weekend and got discount coupons from the Nekton ($300 of their Cayman itinerary) and Aggressor ($100 off any itinerary) folks. Both seemed about the same price but I'm holding out for Beneath the Seas show outside New York City in a few weeks for better discounts (the bigger the show, seems the bigger the discount). :)
I'd be happy to use either one of those coupons if you don't need one of them. :)

I'd be happy to use either one of those coupons if you don't need one of them. :)

They expire this month but if you still want them, send me a fax. My e-mail address can be found on my website http://www.randallgamby.com. Also be aware that I leave for Europe for the week starting on Sunday afternoon so act quickly. :)

Randall

Well I just caught up on this post and have to throw a recommendation to Explorer Ventures....I returned from the Southern Bahamas (Georgetown) on the Caribbean Explorer 1 several weeks ago and have to say I enjoyed it a lot more the Nekton. The diving was fantastic...lots of walls, great vis and no current to fight. But the boat and the crew made the trip. Now we had a very small group on my week (6 Passengers) and (6 Crew) so you can imagine the service was outstanding. I managed 25 out of the 26 dives offered.

Next month I'm trying the Turks and Caicos Explorer. Hoping I enjoy it as much.

I tried to send my opinions on several liveaboards before we left, but it went to lala land, I guess. To qualify me, I have 276 dives, been on Fiji, Belize, Kona, Bay Islands and now Cayman Aggressors. Also Nekton Pilot & Rorqual & Nimrod Explorer on GBR. We definitely like Aggressors best. In Dec 04 we did the Pilot in Belize and liked it enough to try the Rorqual out of Exuma--that was pathetic (at least at that time) the boat listed, everyone was tripping on the carpeted dive deck (hard enough to walk w/fins on) the food wasn't as good as the Pilot (could have just been that week) anyhow, everyone was writing nasty comment cards. What bothered me more than anything else was the "ladder" getting back onto the boat (same w/Pilot) the photos show everyone standing there smiling etc. what they don't show is the underwater part which is just a pole w/round steps on either side and the last step is very high to the above water part. With the heavy steel tanks + weights, I had to have a crew member pull me up onto the boat. (I'm 5'5", so not that short.

They Cayman Aggressor has regular steps with hold bars on each side and was 100% easier. The food was good (not cruise ship gourmet, but very good and lots of it) The cabins are a double w/single bunk on top ( DH always gets that) The bathroom is very small & it just has a shower curtain to pull around-1 in there at a time. To tell the truth, the hot showers on deck were all we used since they had a shampoo dispenser right there. Someone was always there to give you a hot towel & shoulder massage. The dive briefings were alway excellent and a crew member was always in the water to point things out or be a buddy. After your first trip w/them you belong to the "Dive the World Club" and can get 1/2 off your buddy's fare on certain weeks. The also have other specials like Gold Weeks, which was last week & $200 off per person. We have already signed up for the budy week on the Turks & Caicos for May 2007. Just my opionions.

It's always so interesting to read other people's reviews/reports of their trips. Our service and experience on the Pilot was outstanding, which is obviously why we're planning to go back on her next year. Although I've read great things about many of the Aggressor as well as the Explorer boats, I have bad enough sea sick issues that the Nekton SWATH design is too good to pass up. We watched Peter Hughes' traditionally hulled boat ride the same storm we did, but while they were severely pitching and yawing in the wind and waves, we were barely moving in comparison.

One thing I've learned reading this board and others like it is that I read reviews as THAT person's experience. I tend to not feather an entire cruise company based on reviews, unless there is an overwhelming majority of either position or negative reviews over time. I expect people to read my reviews/reports the same way....as just one person's experience of one particular trip.

I'm glad you found a liveaboard fleet that you're excited about going back to year after year. :D After all, isn't that what it's all about?? :D :D :D For us, we'll be heading back to the Pilot to Cay Sal Banks this time...and I'll write another review/report when we return. ;)

silkismom,

I read your post but have a question.. Which boat had the round pole with side steps on it?? That doesn't sound safe at all..... When I looked at the Nekton, I saw the ladder with rails on both sides... So wanted to make sure which one had the round ladder you mentioned...... Thanks....

I think what is being referred to is the "Fish Bone" ladder at the bottom of the main ladder on the dive deck of the Nekton Boats. This is the open style ladder that many boats use so that you can climb them with fins on if you need to (I don't know the real name of these types of ladders). They didn't seem unsafe to us....

We always removed our fins prior to climbing the ladders and never had any problem with either of them. Because the Steel 95 tanks are heavy, a crew member always grabs your tank valve to help you up. I never felt like I needed them to do that, but the extra umph was welcomed anyway.

I think what is being referred to is the "Fish Bone" ladder at the bottom of the main ladder on the dive deck of the Nekton Boats. This is the open style ladder that many boats use so that you can climb them with fins on if you need to (I don't know the real name of these types of ladders). They didn't seem unsafe to us....

Many of the cold water dive boats I've been on have this style of ladder, which is great as I really prefer being able to climb the ladder with my fins on.

I've also heard them called christmas tree ladders.

• 7 months later...

My husband and I spent a week on the liveaboard Aqua Cat in August. Captain Mark and the crew were fantastic. We left from Nassau, Bahamas and dove in the Exuma Cays. 26 dives for the week. My husband went on all but I skipped several to go snorkeling and kayaking. They have an eco boat that does daily beach excursions. This was our third liveaboard and by far the best that we have done. We have some new Canadian diving buddies that we met on board.

Archived