MS Spitzbergen

amatorpedalis

In June 2020 we booked on MS Spitzbergen for the 10 day Scottish Island trip 2nd to 12th May 2021 through TS Tours Ltd. If I phone Hurtigruten they tell me that this expedition cruise is still sailing and this is the stance taken by TS Tours until they hear different. Yet on the 9th March the Hurtigruten UK General Manager  sent an email, "Breaking News - This morning the UK Government has aligned domestic cruises with domestic tourism and indoor hospitality so that a resumption of cruises will be from 17th May at the earliest."

Why has this cruise not been cancelled and passengers able to rebook or be refunded?

Any thoughts?

Also booked on this voyage. Agree with all your points. In addition previous Spitsbergen voyage (Bergen -> Glasgow) was cancelled some time ago. 17th May only applies to England, not other UK countries, though announcement did say discussions were underway to get UK-wide agreement. I have heard nothing about this happening since. Scottish Gov announcement of COVID Routemap yesterday gave no suggestion that domestic cruises would be allowed at start of May. Social distancing limitations early May are "4 people from 2 households in indoor public spaces" and  it is not even confirmed that travel to Scotland from any other UK country will be allowed for leisure purposes. It's definite that no international travel is allowed either.

So doesn't look too likely does it?

Booked on this trip as well and have had similar response from Hurtigruten. Cabins are still for sale on Hurtigruten's webpage. We are booked direct with Hurtigruten so assume would be one of the first to hear as will not need to go via an agent.

After the leg from Norway to Glasgow was cancelled a few weeks ago, we assumed it was only a matter of time before this trip was also cancelled.  The webpage has been updated a couple of times since but no change to 2nd May or the trip after from Glasgow to Bergen, which would clearly be considered international cruising.

We feel a bit disappointed, as the delay in the probable cancellation, has seen the price for the 2022 cruise increase and also, particularly for the late April sailing, there is a very limited choice of cabins still available.

Like you we hope to have some answers soon.

U.K. cruise lines P&O and Fred Olsen have cancelled all cruises through end of June and after that are only doing short U.K. cruises, often without stops.  So I am surprised that Hurtigruten still claims they will sail.  We have feeling that summer would be doubtful so moved out July Hurtigruten U.K. cruise to next year.

Thank you richws and JMR1 for your thoughts which are appreciated. It is comforting to know that others also await news. 

I have to confess that we would be relieved if Hurtigruten did cancel this cruise as our minds would be made up for us. As it is even with one dose of the vaccine, which has given us much confidence, we still do not feel safe staying in a hotel or cruise ship whether it is Hurtigruten, P&O etc. I am sure this will pass.

So we wait to see what happens and then decide whether to forfeit our money or risk it!!!!!

Hi again,

2nd May and subsequent Spitsbergen voyage no longer available for booking on Hurti UK website. Voyage not (yet) cancelled.  On phone they suggest it'll be known in a week.

I noticed that last week there were 4 Scottish cruises on sale but as richws says this and 2 other cruises are no longer on sale only May 22nd is available 

They are hanging on to our money as long as possible, rather mean as it is obvious that they will be cancelled. 

There are not many cabins available for the equivalent cruise next year either. 

On Hurtigruten's German website  (Corona information/ cancellations) the Expedition cruises for Spitsbergen (the ship) and MS Maud in Britain and Scotland  in April, May and June have been listed as cancelled. Might be a good idea to compare with their UK website, as some cruise lines like Princess and P&O are already offering some summer cruises for vaccinated British passengers. Maybe Hurtigruten might follow this scheme to earn some needed monies!

2 hours ago, grayjay said:

On Hurtigruten's German website  (Corona information/ cancellations) the Expedition cruises for Spitsbergen (the ship) and MS Maud in Britain and Scotland  in April, May and June have been listed as cancelled. Might be a good idea to compare with their UK website, as some cruise lines like Princess and P&O are already offering some summer cruises for vaccinated British passengers. Maybe Hurtigruten might follow this scheme to earn some needed monies!

On checking DE site I see cancellation of Maud voyages in May, but none in June. In addition I see no Spitsbergen cancellations in May or June. Very confusing! Greyjay could you please check and reply? Thanks

Edited by richws
correction

On 3/22/2021 at 12:12 AM, richws said:

On checking DE site I see cancellation of Maud voyages in May, but none in June. In addition I see no Spitsbergen cancellations in May or June. Very confusing! Greyjay could you please check and reply? Thanks

Today received email cancelling my 2nd May Spitsbergen departure and UK website now (today) updated to show this and 12/05 departures cancelled. There are still no cancellation shown for Maud in June as reported previously. DE website looks to have same cancellations listed.

At 1335hrs today we received an email from our travel agent informing us that this cruise has been cancelled by Hurtigruten. It seems to have taken a long time for the company to come to the obvious conclusion. I dont blame them for waiting to see if Boris &Co would perform another u turn. We are just relieved that the obvious has happen. Good luck to Hurtigruten and their crews and good luck to all you cruisers. Stay safe.  

No email for me yet.  I rang Hurtigruten to be told it should come by the end of the week.

No explanation as to why they are not all sent out at the same time.  I booked direct.

Also you need to wait for the email before filling in the form to rebook. 

I have cancelled the car parking and hotel in Glasgow.

Hope to rebook something for 2022.  There are lots of possibilities on MS Maud from Dover still available to book for 2021 but a bit risky to book.

We were bookedon Maud for 4 July 2021, but decided it was already looking risky a month ago and moved our cruise to 2022 while good cabins still available.  The U.K. cruise lines Fred Olsen and P&O have changed all their summer cruises to UK residents only, max 7 day cruise around UK with no back to back, and no stopping in ports until late August. 

Seems strange to me that Hurtigruten cancelled the May 2nd cruise 7 days ago but my TA has still not been officially notified, thereby delaying the refund process even more, not happy about that. 

1 hour ago, gollane said:

Seems strange to me that Hurtigruten cancelled the May 2nd cruise 7 days ago but my TA has still not been officially notified, thereby delaying the refund process even more, not happy about that. 

My sympathies. On only occasion I didn't book direct with Hurtigruten I had the same problem and the 2 organisations blamed each other and had a stand-off. I spoke directly to Hurtigruten and they owned the issue and sorted it. That was my 1st Hurtigruten cancellation - ironically for a Spitsbergen Voyage (to Franz Josef Land)