Greek Isles late August - odds of cruise happening?

jjkandlak

First time cruisers - my wife and I have both had our covid vaccinations and are scheduled to cruise NCL in late August to Greek Isles out of Venice. What does everyone think about the likelyhood/odds of this cruise happening? Thank you in advance for your input. 

It's all speculation at this point, but realistically, I'd say the odds are low to nil on the cruise taking place.

While the US is doing surprisingly well with vaccinations, much of the EU is lagging badly. In Italy, only 3.8% of people have been vaccinated, with a goal of 80% vaccination rates by September. On top of this, they're currently having huge covid spikes (50% increase last week) and are going back into lockdown for the foreseeable future.

It seems unlikely to me that any US cruise line would risk having a mixed nationality passenger load in a port-heavy itinerary like Europe this summer. We've got a Rome-NY booked for the fall, and fully expect it to be canceled. 

We are book on 08/27 out of Venice but I haven't booked flights as still think low probability of this happening. On one hand, the bad Europe stats make me think they will cancel shortly and re-deploy places they have better insight into being open...........on the other hand, every ship of every cruise line can't be located in the handful of private and Caribbean islands for the next 8 months either........would be interesting to be a fly in these logistics planning meetings.

2 hours ago, jjkandlak said:

First time cruisers - my wife and I have both had our covid vaccinations and are scheduled to cruise NCL in late August to Greek Isles out of Venice. What does everyone think about the likelyhood/odds of this cruise happening? Thank you in advance for your input. 

Well, it is not all speculation as speculated above.  How about some facts?

With respect to Greece:

1. A committee of epidemiologists and other health experts advising the Greek government was scheduled to hold an extraordinary meeting last Wednesday, March 17, to assess the epidemiological situation and to consider when and how lock-down restrictions might be lifted.  Also, the Greek government has leaked information to the press that "both health experts and government officials are to adhere to the original plan for a partial lifting of measures in retail and catering.”
  2. Within the past six weeks, the Greek Tourism Minister Harry Theoharis said the country is reportedly working on a plan to safely re-open to tourism.  He specifically said, "We aim to open tourism by 14 May with specific rules and updated protocols.  Until then, we will gradually lift restrictions if conditions allow.”
  3. The World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) praised the Greek government for “its tremendous efforts and strategic steps taken to restart international travel from 14 May,” saying inter alia

that their clear roadmap to recovery “lays out the pathway which other countries could follow, in a bid to kickstart safe travel and help revive their own stricken economies.”

4. Just a few days ago, Minister Theocharis said, "Greece is ready with a complete protocol for summer 2021," adding "Tourists will be welcome if before travel they are either vaccinated, or have antibodies, or test negative.  All tourists will be subject to random testing."

Now, as to Italy:

1. Italy travel restrictions currently prohibit tourists from the USA and several other countries. Arrival from low risk and most of Europe countries are allowed but they are required to provide a negative PCR test result taken within 48 hours of their arrival.

2. As of June 3, Italy is planning to open its borders to residents of other EU states, countries within the Schengen Zone, and the United Kingdom.  Note: The Schengen Zone encompasses most of the Mediterranean States where cruise ships call.

3. The Italian Government's current COVID restrictions apply through through April 6, 2021.

So, on balance, the odds of tourism in Greece seem much higher for an August cruise, and are uncertain in the short-term for Italy.  Finally, I care about the odds of your cruise in August because I'm booked for the reverse trip in September and am following conditions closely.  Fair winds to you.

Honestly I think the cruise may go ahead but only for EU/UKresidents. I am booked on Escape out of Copenhagen in September and that's what I am expecting.  I hope i am wrong though and that you guys can come over from US

7 hours ago, pghflyer said:

We are book on 08/27 out of Venice but I haven't booked flights as still think low probability of this happening. On one hand, the bad Europe stats make me think they will cancel shortly and re-deploy places they have better insight into being open...........on the other hand, every ship of every cruise line can't be located in the handful of private and Caribbean islands for the next 8 months either........would be interesting to be a fly in these logistics planning meetings.

Me too, waiting for cancellations.  

I had a Jade cruise outta Amsterdam Sept 23. My cruise was canceled because they are “redeploying” 3 ships. Jade was one of them, Encore & Jewel were the other 2. I think they will be using redeployment as a new cancellation term. So I rebooked same date out of Copenhagen. 🤞🏼