Eating in Belize

odis

I have seen more than one post about people getting sick after eating in Belize. We are looking at doing the cave tubing/zip line with Nacho which includes food. Has anyone had problems with the food served on this excursion, i.e. is it safe?

You have to remember this is a 3rd world country. No purified water. So when they wash the fruits/veggies the water is not purified. Also the same holds true when having drinks with ice cubes. I learned my lesson in Mexico. Always as if they have purified water and ice.

Hope this helps some.:)

I have seen more than one post about people getting sick after eating in Belize. We are looking at doing the cave tubing/zip line with Nacho which includes food. Has anyone had problems with the food served on this excursion, i.e. is it safe?

We ate at two restaurants in Belize. One in Belize City called the The Wet Lizard (I think) and the other on Caye Caulker by the pier. No problems at either.

My DH who is pretty particular about cleanliness, etc., ate a chicken shiskabob (spelling) on Goff's Caye last April since some locals do have food, drinks, etc. I couldn't believe it! I didn't say a word and had a taste too...it was excellent and we were fine!

We went on the Altun Ha & River Wallace tour which included a stop at a restaurant.

While I was in line for the bathrooms at this restaurant, I observed the 'dish washing'. I described it to my DH and nobody in our family at there. It grossed me out. Let me just say that no germs would be killed with their method and then they brought the plates straight to the serving area to be reused. YUCK!

We ate at the Jaguar Paw Resort when we did our excursion with Nacho and Cynthia. The place is owned by an American and everything was very clean, safe, and delicious. My husband has a sensitive stomach and he would have felt it first if there was anything wrong/unsafe about the meal. We ate everything and didn't have any problems, we only drank the sodas offered with the meal and bottled water that we brought along with us.

We bought a wide mouth bottle water with a carrying case (walmart is a good place to find them) we would refill every morning in ship's cafe with lots of ice and water, so we always had purified water with us.

You should be fine, the only thing i reccomend is not to try the extremely hot sauce they serve on the side, it is very spicy!

Archived