Using cable ties to lock luggage

Tiger Shark

Since we don't have to fly, we put the nail clippers in my purse and the extra ties in a carry on. If someone opened your suitcase and the extra ties were right there, you wouldn't know it. They would just use one of your extra ties to retie your suitcase.

We also tie all the zippered compartments. This might sound silly, but I worry more about a crew member slipping drugs into our luggage as a way to smuggle them into the US. Then if they find our luggage before we do, they could retrive it. Maybe that's not right. I think you get your suitcase before customs, so they would have to find you outside.

Anyway, you can see I'm a worrier.:p

I have used this method the last few times we have traveled with checked luggage. Home depot has some thin & brightly colored ties. I put reg size nail clipper in side pocket of checked bag. My bag was chosen to be inspected by the authorities and the customs people replaced my tie with one of their's and a nice note inside the bag.:)

karen

the nailclipper is really the only way to go --if tsa opens your luggage they will replace the tieon with one of their own and leave a note for you in your luggage-----------------there are also locks that you can buy that are tsa approved and they have the key or combo to open your luggage and then relock it with your original lock

TSA approved Master lock.

Set your own combination.

NO keys:D

Bought 2 today for $7.99 ea.

Use them over and over and over and over

Use your old travel locks and IF tsa wants to inspect your bag they will just cut the lock off. What else you going to do with the old lock anyway?

i usually stick nail clippers in a pocket. i can generally get the lock apart enough to get a finger in the pocket and fish out the nail clippers. i have also borrowed scissors to cut them off. i get some interesting looks from front desk agents but they wind up saying it's a good idea.

a TSA guy said it was good too! i have also heard of even the approved locks getting cut off so i too go to home depot and get a big bag of pretty cable ties.

for our next cruise, we can drive to the port....so i can use locks. boy will that be weird. get in the car, go for a sunday drive, get on a boat and float to bermuda.

I also use the ties, and I put a small pair of pointy scissors in one of the outside zippered pockets. The cable ties won't keep the hard time thieves out, but will help keep the honest people honest, especially when the luggage is sitting in the hall the last night :(.

Before handing over our luggage at port, I put regular luggage locks on them. When we are putting luggae out at night, I put regular locks on them. When we fly, we use either cable ties, or TSA locks, I've just purchased the former and have not used them, yet. It's not a big deal to take the locks off when standing in line at the airport. Contrary to popular belief, crew does not have a lot of time to go rifling through luggage. I'm sure it does happen, but the and the crew at port are very busy people.

Archived