Ponta Delgada/Azores

Hello, Pat. Last summer I started a number of threads called Do-It-Yourself CityName. One of them was for Ponta Delgada. I'm am American cruiser who has lived in the Azores for six years. You will probably find almost all the info you want on the thread, but please contact me if you have any specific questions. susana.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=122141&highlight=ponta+delgada

Take a taxi, they are just like a tour guide. I visit Ponta Delgada every 4 years on vacation and sightsee by taxi each time. I'll tell you, the island of Sao Miguel(Ponta Delgada) is the most beautiful place on earth that I have visited so far. The previous poster has tremendous info and I would agree with it all, except I like all of the food they serve. You will not forget your visit there!

Well, each to his own regarding the food.

But, I would like to warn everyone to watch out for the unscrupulous taxi drivers. Make sure you agree on a fare to a specific destination or on an hourly rate before you get in.

That sounds like a over-used warning, but it actually happened to us right here. On our transatlantic cruise, in November, which went from Lisbon to FLL, we returned to Ponta Delgada for the day. We had left our car at the airport and simply needed a ride from the pier to the airport--about 5 minutes away. We did not check the rate and the guy insisted on charging us what would amount to a normal fare for about half an hour. Even though we complained to him in Portuguese, his response was "Too bad . . . that's the tourist rate."

This is, however, a truly magnificent island. But things are changing fast and it is hurrying to join the modern world. Large buildings are going up around the city, families are all interested in getting that second car, and teenagers have discovered loud American music.

So, come quickly. It is still a paradise, and I can't imagine living anywhere else. susana.

• 3 years later...

We shall be visiting Ponta Delgado on a repositioning cruise in mid October.

I have checked several sites and most people seem to suggest that taking a taxi is the best thing to do. We have 9 hours and we would like to find out (green Michelin style!) what are rated 4 star, 3 star attractions.

Given that we would like to see the best sights and also to spend some time just walking around can anyone who has been there before offer any suggestions about the best route?

Archived