Uk cruisers in the Med this summer?

dritan

Hi

Wondered if I could get your thoughts on whether you think MSC will open up the Med cruises to UK cruisers after travel restrictions are lifted in May ( assuming they are)?

At present only Schengen countries can travel ( so excluding UK and Ireland).  I had my MSC Poesia end of May cruise cancelled some time ago and the reason given back then, was that this was due to the UK government's ban on foreign travel ( as opposed to the cruise itself being cancelled, which is later was anyway).

This has made me think that once the UK govt restrictions are lifted we would be good to go, but am I guilty of wishful thinking?  

We are really interested in an end of summer MSC Grandiosa or Seaside and aren't interested in the UK only cruises.  But perhaps the plan is that these will be the only options available to UK cruisers?

I've not found anything online that indicates the plan one way or the other.  Any thoughts?

Thanks to both of you for these updates.  I think the "end of June" is the new bit as I don't recall a time frame before.  And I can't see any reason why the UK wouldn't be included in the opening up after end of June from the article.  I think I need to start persuading hubby. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Never too young to cruise said:

Well I hope they do open up to the UK, because I'm booked on the Orchestra out of Venice on 14 August and am desperate to get away! Funnily enough I got an email from MSC UK today slightly changing my intinerary, and giving me €200 onboard spend for the inconvenience.

Nice!  I'm going ahead and booking the Seaside.  Just want to have something to look forward to, which might not actually get cancelled 😉

I am fairly confident that as soon as the UK ban on international cruising is lifted, MSC will update their rules and allow guests from the UK on Med cruises.   

The fact they are now specifically selling the new Seaside and Grandiosa routes from 29th May seems to indicate they will allow UK passengers to board where it is legal.  There are certainly likely to be travel restrictions and costs associated (e.g. test to enter countries on departure and return, and if unvaccinated a quarantine on return to the UK).

On 4/23/2021 at 12:37 AM, dritan said:

Nice!  I'm going ahead and booking the Seaside.  Just want to have something to look forward to, which might not actually get cancelled 😉

I really like the look of the Seaside itinerary. If it wasn't for the hassle of changing flights I would join you on the Seaside!

We’re booked on Seaside in August; rebooked last July from an October 2020 cruise (before the Oct one was officially cancelled). I’ve been 

hoping it would be cancelled really as a) one of our kids is now working full time and will struggle to get off work b) two ports have changed and c) I don’t want to pay for excursions for four people just to be able to get off the ship - assuming this will still be the case. Also obtaining three lots of pre-cruise swabs (I’m vaccinated) would be a pain. 

Having said that...the ship looks amazing and the itinerary is still fab so I’m torn. I’ve asked my TA to find out if the two port changes will warrant a refund but she’s not got back to me yet. If not, I will ask if we can rebook under the flexible cruise policy. If I can’t do that either, and the cruise goes ahead, we will go and make the best of it but I’m pretty sure the second option should be available to us?

I suspect the foreign office advice against international cruises will remain in place until the last stage of the roadmap on 21 June. After that, MSC are probably poised to take UK passengers from the next day.

The only question mark might be over the new traffic light system they're developing, which seems likely to have most of Europe at amber to start with, requiring quarantine, but should have relaxed by July when the European vaccination programme catches up a bit.