Muse or Shadow for Alaska

5waldos

Trying to decide between these two Alaska cruises for Sept 2022. The Muse begins in Vancouver, the Shadow in Alaska. My first thought was the Shadow because it is smaller but now I am having second thoughts. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by 5waldos

My two cents...

With the Shadow’s refurbishment and addition of Arts Cafe, it doesn’t really matter any longer.  You won’t have Kaiseki or Indochine on Shadow, but everything else will be there, including a larger main restaurant.  So, compare ports and see which stops you like best.  Wrangell, AK would be our deciding factor if it was on either itinerary.

Edited by Stumblefoot

Wrangell is not on either itinerary- actually, the itineraries are exactly the same, just in reverse. Kaiseki is very tempting but since posting I remembered another reason for beginning in Alaska. Flights home from Alaska are horrible! All are in the middle of the night. Getting to Alaska is fine. Can't understand why the flights are so terrible. So if the ships otherwise are generally comparable, I guess the flight situation trumps Kaiseki. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 5waldos said:

Flights home from Alaska are horrible! All are in the middle of the night. Getting to Alaska is fine.  So if the ships otherwise are generally comparable, I guess the flight situation trumps Kaiseki. 

Smart move.  Considering the UA non-stop back to DEN will most likely be on a 2-class 737, it'll be a very long 5-hours not being able to fully recline your seat.  Hopefully, they'll be flying their 737-MAX with 20 F seats at least.

Edited by Stumblefoot