Zaandam cabin choice

Im on a ship

We are getting ready to book, and were given cabin 1962, but can change to a few others if necessary. I like this choice as it is on the preferred side of the ship for our itinierary, and at the end of the corridor, where there will be little foot traffic outside our door. However, are there major drawbacks to this section of the ship such as engine noise? We can move farther forward, but it would be near the stairs, so lots of folks walking past. Any advice about other factors I may not be considering? Motion is not an issue as we don't get seasick. 

EDIT: DH found 6102 on the Verandah deck is an option for only a few dollars more. Seems like a no-brainer, but still looking for input. 

Edited by Im on a ship

I have staterooms on both the Volendam and the Zaandam very close to the forward lobby/elevator/stairwell.  One was on the port side of the Zaandam on Dolphin Deck with the next forward stateroom whose door opened onto the foyer.  Directly opposite my stateroom's door at that location was the door that opened into a pantry.  Noise?  Traffic?  No issue whatsoever.  A stateroom on the exact opposite where my stateroom was located--the starboard side--that location would be close to the stairs leading to A deck where the tendering platform is located.  If the shell door is open to permit tendering and the ship is in a warm/humid environment, the occupants of staterooms near that forward foyer are going to experience more heat/humidity when they are in the corridor.  In the stateroom, no, when I had a stateroom at that location:  I noticed nothing untoward.  

• Like 1

You may have vibration and engine noise in 1962. We had a Zaandam aft cabin on the Navigation deck in 2009. The vibration was constant, noted also by occupants of other cabins between the aft elevators and the stern. I wandered around the ship to check whether I'd like cabins in other locations for a future cruise. I noticed engine noise in addition to vibration aft on the lower decks. Maybe the vibration has been fixed in drydock since then. 

Here is a review with photos of 6102 on the Amsterdam, an R class ship like Zaandam, and I believe this cabin location is the same as what you would have on the Zaandam: 

https://halfacts.com/r-class/6102-amsterdam/

23 minutes ago, Maya_C said:

You may have vibration and engine noise

My opinion after residing in many of the staterooms on Dolphin Deck near the Forward Foyer:  Forward is better for me than a stateroom aft.  No unusual noise; as close to mid-ship as one can be, the ride will be much better when King Neptune is having a bad day, and it's not far to walk to the stairways/elevators to my favorite HAL venue:  the Crow's Nest.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Im on a ship said:

Thank you for the input. After much deliberation, we decide on aft on the Main deck. At least we have our deposit paid now so I can settle in to planning the fun stuff.

If constant engine noise isn’t a problem for you, you will enjoy the main deck. More noise from engines than from elevators and stairs. When you sleep at night, you will hear the engines vibrating through your pillow. If you are one that is asleep as soon as you hit the bed, you will be okay. We avoid the aft third of the ship as I can’t sleep at all due to the constant noise.

Edited by Storylady

21 hours ago, Im on a ship said:

After much deliberation, we decide on aft on the Main deck.

You will be close to the elevators/aft stairwell that will get you close to the Lido Restaurant and the Seaview Bar as well as the aft pool.  Also, very easy, quick access to the MDR on either deck.    Enjoy!

• Like 1

I read about the engine noise prior to our last cruise, a similar ship, Amsterdam, to Alaska. We were aft on the Dolphin deck, and were told it would be terrible. We couldn't change because we had booked several cabins adjacent to family. I really don't recall any noise at all.  Main deck, being higher should be ok then. It surely couldn't be any louder, engine wise, than Dolphin.

• Like 1

I have stayed in 6102 multiple times, it is my favorite cabin.  The front wall of the cabin is slanted and your window drapes must be closed at night.  It is a cozy cabin. There is a door to the outside right next to your cabin, never heard any slamming.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SLC1954 said:

I have stayed in 6102 multiple times, it is my favorite cabin.  The front wall of the cabin is slanted and your window drapes must be closed at night.  It is a cozy cabin. There is a door to the outside right next to your cabin, never heard any slamming.  

A very accurate description for this stateroom.  A question out of curiosity:  Were you required to have the drapes closed at night?  I had a forward facing stateroom under the Bridge of the Statendam of 1957.  One evening, after I returned to my stateroom and opened the drapes that the Cabin Steward had closed, I heard a frantic Cabin Steward at my door.  "The Bridge Called!  The Bridge Called!"  He rushed into the stateroom and closed the drapes.  Opening those drapes must have impacted the nighttime vision for the Bridge staff due to the light that those windows caused.  

On 4/26/2021 at 7:58 PM, Im on a ship said:

Thank you for the input. After much deliberation, we decide on aft on the Main deck. At least we have our deposit paid now so I can settle in to planning the fun stuff.

Aft on main deck is a great choice.  We were in a cabin there on the Amsterdam (sister ship) in 2019.  Make use of the aft open deck on Main with outdoor stairs upto the promenade!  Never heard or felt much noise.

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

A very accurate description for this stateroom.  A question out of curiosity:  Were you required to have the drapes closed at night?  I had a forward facing stateroom under the Bridge of the Statendam of 1957.  One evening, after I returned to my stateroom and opened the drapes that the Cabin Steward had closed, I heard a frantic Cabin Steward at my door.  "The Bridge Called!  The Bridge Called!"  He rushed into the stateroom and closed the drapes.  Opening those drapes must have impacted the nighttime vision for the Bridge staff due to the light that those windows caused.  

Yes, there is a sign by the windows and the cabin steward told me to keep them closed at night.  I would turn the lights out at night and open the drapes, so I could look out at night and see the sunrise in the morning.

• Thanks 1