The Zenith Plot Thickens--What Would You Do?

moondoggie

We picked our 2007 X cruise. We requested pricing for Cat 9 and Cat 6. We used a 'competing' service online to get bids--got four good ones. Received bids afternoon of 2/7. Selected one bid from a company we had used several times in the past. I e-mailed this agent the next morning 2/8 to get details about what deposit amounts were and the payment dates. Received the e-mail answer the afternoon of 2/9. The morning of 2/10 I e-mailed all of the information to book the cruise, with Captains Club numbers, Passport Numbers, names (two couples, two cabins), DOBs, and credit card numbers.

Based on the their pricing for Cat 9 and 6, plus examining the CC pricing on their site, we decided to go with the Cat 8 cabins that were recommended as 'just slightly obstructed' from fellow CC'ers who had stayed in the ones we wanted. All of this was detailed in the e-mail I sent the morning of 2/10.

I get a call this morning 2/13 from the agent saying that the price of a Cat 8 is now more than the Cat 6--$2500 now per cabin for the Cat 8 vs $2440 for the originally priced Cat 6. Agent wasn't 'in' on Friday, and says I should have called, not e-mailed them back the billing information.

And, the agent says that the cabins 9020 & 9025 are completely obstructed views. We decided to choose these cabins specifically because of the recommendations on CCers who had cruised in them, i.e. greydog.

So, what to do? Any recommendations? I am frustrated and welcome your suggestions. Still haven't booked anything yet. How would you handle this situation? Thank you very much.

I guess my question would be, why didn't he hold the cabins for you? All it takes is name, phone and date of birth at minimum. It's really easy.

That way the rate would have locked in.

BTW it takes too much time to use that website you used. I have found many times that rates will change so rapidly, the quotes I've done are no longer valid after 24 hrs.

Your best bet is to pick up the phone and call.

Be cautious, regarding the obstructed view cabins, on the Zenth. We have sailed her five times, and, absolutely, love her. The problem with the Cat. 8 cabins, is the extra pull down bed, jutting out, from the wall. I cracked my head on that, as I was tying my shoes and saw real STARS!!! The obstructed views are, not only from the life boats, but these barrels, right outside the window. If this is a special cruise, for you, perhaps, you could change cabins. Enjoy your cruise aboard the Zenith!! Our favorite mid-sized ship, on our favorite cruise line.

But, from my perspective, lesson learned. That is one of the big reasons why I would not use an online TA for something like this. Give me a real person who I can get in touch with, or if necessary, ride right over to their office.

An aside, 'those barrels' also contain lifeboats , the inflatable kind.

(unless you believe they might be depth charges .... :D )

Just a note. I think it is EXTREMELY dangerous to email credit card numbers! I would never do that. I, personally, would not send passport numbers that way either. You have just exposed enough info via the internet to be wide open to identity theft for four people!:eek:

I have to agree with another poster, for the small amount of money you WOULD have saved it is not worth what you have put out there. A good ta who is a Key Account'er could get you all this and more, without the problems!

Why people work so hard to save a very few bucks on something as important and expensive as a vacation remains a mystery.

One other thing, when you get info on the 7th, you must act on that info even if it is just to hold cabins. Waiting until the 10th was way too long to expect the prices to remain valid. On popular cruises, cabins sell out and prices change, sometimes hourly! Just a word for next time.

Archived