Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

Viking Daily - Viking Venus

Day 10 - Mgarr, Gozo

Unfortunately Guest Services were unable to provide an electronic copy of any of the Viking Daily newsletters for this cruise.

20210801_185935.pdf 660.06 kB · 1 download

Thanks so much, Freddy! These have been enormously helpful—and have helped us live vicariously before our Sept. cruise. On my iPad, I’m just downloading these and saving to “Books” so I can easily check them before we go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

Unfortunately Guest Services were unable to provide an electronic copy of any of the Viking Daily newsletters for this cruise.

No worries. Thanks for trying.

BTW... Don't suppose you know what they were charging on board for Silver Spirits? I know it's £154pp in advance. Just curious if they charge the same or if buying pre cruise is discounted. By my reckoning it should be $199.50 which is £143

I doubt I'd bother do anything other than pre-book.... I'm just curious!

15 minutes ago, les37b said:

BTW... Don't suppose you know what they were charging on board for Silver Spirits? I know it's £154pp in advance. Just curious if they charge the same or if buying pre cruise is discounted. By my reckoning it should be $199.50 which is £143

I think it’s been said here that if it’s £154 pre-cruise, you will likely find it’s $154 on the ship.

I would wait to see.

Tom

1 hour ago, les37b said:

No worries. Thanks for trying.

We pre-booked and it is $199 .   You are correct.

Well we are still in Malta on the Sea no sail away tonight I guess we will still be here in the morning too  Captain announced that there were operational issues that needed to be resolved?

I know the ship is fine from being on her for the last 10 days maybe the Greek authorities or the attitude to risk in Greece has changed?

Will report back when we get some clarity 😀

We are just so happy to be on board and know Viking will look after us whatever befalls us 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Alan2504 said:

Well we are still in Malta on the Sea no sail away tonight I guess we will still be here in the morning too  Captain announced that there were operational issues that needed to be resolved?

I know the ship is fine from being on her for the last 10 days maybe the Greek authorities or the attitude to risk in Greece has changed?

Will report back when we get some clarity 😀

We are just so happy to be on board and know Viking will look after us whatever befalls us 

WOW! Thanks so much for keeping us updated.

1 hour ago, SFO_FT said:

Understand that Sea’s postponed sailaway from Malta is due to a COVID case onboard. Ugh!

Heartbreaking for those involved. The first and the last PCR tests are the most important. The first, to be able to sail and the last, to be able to depart Malta. My heart goes out to all those involved. 😥

Edited by FirstTimeFreddy

The Captain confirmed this morning there had been a positive covid test reported and Maltese authorities had been alerted.

He confirmed that no guests had been in contact with this positive case 

We departed Valletta around 9:30 this morning.

I noticed that someone was disembarked with cases, he was in full PPE and was driven away.

I presume this was our positive case heading for quarantine to satisfy the Maltese authorities and I also presume this was a member of the crew.

It certainly confirms that Vikings protocols work.

On a brighter note our schedules won't be affected by this delayed departure😀

• Like 5

That must be more than just a little bit upsetting. Heart goes out to that poor unlucky individual.

Luckily Viking will be testing everyone daily and the test caught the person who probably tested negative the previous day precisely as stated in the now locked Jupiter Covid thread (which my reply was strangely deleted despite the 20 plus "likes".... There certainly wasnt anything contentious with my comment, as its still there in several replies.... most odd. I expect it was a sweep up removing one members entire posting history in the thread.) 

This is precisely why Viking have got this right and the ship was allowed to continue. Without that reassurance, I suspect Greece would have said δεν είσαι ευπρόσδεκτος

Edited by les37b
  • Like 3

Thanks for the updated info.  I hope the person is OK and also glad the itinerary can stay intact. 

Question though:  if the case was a crew member, I thought crew aren’t allowed off ship.  How would a crew member have gotten COVID?  Or maybe this was a new crew member just arrived for this sailing?  

Or maybe it was a guest sailing solo since no other guests were in contact?

1 hour ago, rizello said:

Question though:  if the case was a crew member, I thought crew aren’t allowed off ship.  How would a crew member have gotten COVID?  

Well there are crew dockside who interact with the local population for example security, re-supply of the ship, bunkering operations,shore excursions, tendering operations etc etc.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tom.in.nc said:

Getting ready to fly to join the Venus August 3rd cruise.  I will post about the cruise and answer your questions as time allows on the Roll Call thread. (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2787041-malta-and-adriatic-jewels-aug-3-2021/

)

Tom

Thank you! Safe travels and enjoy the cruise. Looking forward hearing about your trip experience. 

1 hour ago, Tom.in.nc said:

Getting ready to fly to join the Venus August 3rd cruise.  I will post about the cruise and answer your questions as time allows on the Roll Call thread. (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2787041-malta-and-adriatic-jewels-aug-3-2021/

)

Tom

Thank you!  I will look for updates there.  I will be joining this cruise on August 13 for the Greek Isles portion.

Here is the last Viking Daily from the Viking Venus for its Adriatic itinerary. For all those that follow us, we wish you a healthy and happy cruise on this wonderful ship. We'll be back in late September to enjoy the Greek itinerary 👍

20210802_200357.pdf

Edited by FirstTimeFreddy
  • Like 9

18 minutes ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

Here is the last Viking Daily from the Viking Venus for its Adriatic itinerary. For all those that follow us, we wish you a healthy and happy cruise on this wonderful ship. We'll be back in late September to enjoy the Greek itinerary 👍

20210802_200357.pdf 549.19 kB · 2 downloads

Thank you so much.....You have been amazing to share your time and journey with future cruisers. You must have liked it to be back in September..on a scale of 1 to 10, you would give it a ???????

It's hard to fault given the level of hospitality, as well as the quality of the food. This was our first time with Viking and we've been very impressed. So much so that we jumped at the chance to return in September. We'd give them a solid 9/10. Of course with so few people on board we do appreciate that this wasn't the normal cruise experience. We most definitely expect a much more fully loaded ship in September and are looking forward to a different vibe on board. 😃

• Like 6