Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

Thank you Rizello for the VK. It was interesting to read the part about excursions and the CDC. 'Due to the CDC updating its advisory for Greece to a Level 4, independent exploration is not permitted.'

As a UK citizen, I'm not confined by CDC advisories. Therefore, does this mean that us Brits can run gay abandon at each port? 🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

Thank you Rizello for the VK. It was interesting to read the part about excursions and the CDC. 'Due to the CDC updating its advisory for Greece to a Level 4, independent exploration is not permitted.'

As a UK citizen, I'm not confined by CDC advisories. Therefore, does this mean that us Brits can run gay abandon at each port? 🤣

Very funny!  The cruise director did let us all know at the port talk that we can take off our masks when outside on an excursion, but we aren’t allowed to wander around on our own.  I assume that meant all of us!

The advisory would be per country passengers. But Viking will be responsible to adhere to the conditions the country visited are imposing. (individual start points are of no concern to Viking once on board I think.) Where that becomes potentially confusing (more than usual that is), is if the cruise contains US and UK guests. Say, Croatia have put the UK on green but US on Red, that should mean UK guests are good to go and US guests not (without quarantining.) But..... the UK guests have been mixing with those pesky red US guests..... so banned also?

Minefield!!!

The above is my take on things.... It could be completely wrong - I don't imply I'm an expert, but I think that does read right and logical..... But since when is logic applied these days!

No fitness classes so far.  No Bridge or Mahjongg either.  No huge puzzle.  Lots of changes, but since there are so few passengers it's not surprising.  

12 hours ago, zodiacsign said:

For anyone currently on board, are they doing fitness classes? On previous Viking cruises there was yoga available which was good. 

1 hour ago, ammthm said:

No fitness classes so far.  No Bridge or Mahjongg either.  No huge puzzle.  Lots of changes, but since there are so few passengers it's not surprising.  

Looks like we had better bring our Skippo cards for 2! Will miss that puzzle for sure! Is the gym open?

Let me get this straight...at this point in time, the only reason to get the PCR test for a Malta arrival is for our own peace of mind. Right? The logistics of getting it within the 72 hour window when flying from the western US (and leaving on a Sunday) are practically impossible.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, disudds said:

Let me get this straight...at this point in time, the only reason to get the PCR test for a Malta arrival is for our own peace of mind. Right? The logistics of getting it within the 72 hour window when flying from the western US (and leaving on a Sunday) are practically impossible.

It’s also in case Malta suddenly changes the rules and requires the test.

With all these breakthrough infections, it would be much better to find out that you tested positive before you left, rather than get quarantined in a foreign country. That being said, I am on the East Coast and still trying to figure out the best time to do the test. Your situation is tough. I think they have testing at some of the airports with quick results if you have time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, travelguy19 said:

It’s also in case Malta suddenly changes the rules and requires the test.

With all these breakthrough infections, it would be much better to find out that you tested positive before you left, rather than get quarantined in a foreign country. That being said, I am on the East Coast and still trying to figure out the best time to do the test. Your situation is tough. I think they have testing at some of the airports with quick results if you have time.

We have appointments made for the 27th..10:30 am. I hope if any of us are required to produce the PCR test result a few hours will be forgiven!  Some of us are not on the charter either & must transfer to Air Malta on Monday from different places in Europe. Viking has us going through Vienna, Austria. Others through Germany & 1 I read through France. Lets hope all will be acceptable & all this paper work covers all unknowns!!

1 hour ago, gma1 said:

We have appointments made for the 27th..10:30 am. I hope if any of us are required to produce the PCR test result a few hours will be forgiven!  Some of us are not on the charter either & must transfer to Air Malta on Monday from different places in Europe. Viking has us going through Vienna, Austria. Others through Germany & 1 I read through France. Lets hope all will be acceptable & all this paper work covers all unknowns!!

This always confuses me, but I think with the 6 hour time difference, you are OK? (10:30am is 4:30 pm Malta time). I called an urgent care near me that my neighbor has previously used, but they are now saying it’s closer to 3 days to get the results due to the increased testing due to Delta. I found a place (it’s actually a lab) pretty close to me that can get PCR results back in 5 hours, but it’s $200. You have to file a claim with your insurance to try and get reimbursed. What a mess!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, travelguy19 said:

This always confuses me, but I think with the 6 hour time difference, you are OK? (10:30am is 4:30 pm Malta time). I called an urgent care near me that my neighbor has previously used, but they are now saying it’s closer to 3 days to get the results due to the increased testing due to Delta. I found a place (it’s actually a lab) pretty close to me that can get PCR results back in 5 hours, but it’s $200. You have to file a claim with your insurance to try and get reimbursed. What a mess!

We are going to use a lab  maybe 29 miles away& its $269 for same day results. Less for next day. Most CVS were 2-3 days for result...afraid to chance it!  We have to file with our insurance co too. Its worth the peace of mind to have it copied and in hand when we leave Sunday. Everything is unusual this year!! NEVER had so much paper work & I've been ready to cancel several times. BUT day day was yesterday so no turning back. Thanks for you input.

7 hours ago, gma1 said:

We are going to use a lab  maybe 29 miles away& its $269 for same day results. Less for next day. Most CVS were 2-3 days for result...afraid to chance it!  We have to file with our insurance co too. Its worth the peace of mind to have it copied and in hand when we leave Sunday. Everything is unusual this year!! NEVER had so much paper work & I've been ready to cancel several times. BUT day day was yesterday so no turning back. Thanks for you input.

2 x $269 ! Ouch

For the UK, Malta only requires proof of double vaccine. No test needed. However, the other factor is what the airlines require to board. I was booked to fly with BA for my flights, (which have now mysteriously vanished). I think the other alternative Viking use is Air Malta. Ive no idea if either require a test to fly.

Viking are advising to get a test, I suspect, just in case last minute changes to requirements are needed and you get caught out and unable to cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, les37b said:

2 x $269 ! Ouch

For the UK, Malta only requires proof of double vaccine. No test needed. However, the other factor is what the airlines require to board. I was booked to fly with BA for my flights, (which have now mysteriously vanished). I think the other alternative Viking use is Air Malta. Ive no idea if either require a test to fly.

Viking are advising to get a test, I suspect, just in case last minute changes to requirements are needed and you get caught out and unable to cruise.

BA or Air Malta do not require a test to fly. Vaccination Certificate will suffice.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, barney61 said:

BA or Air Malta do not require a test to fly. Vaccination Certificate will suffice.

Thanks Barney. I thought that was the case..... just hope Malta and the airlines (or UK government) dont make any further changes between now and my return!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, les37b said:

Thanks Barney. I thought that was the case..... just hope Malta and the airlines (or UK government) dont make any further changes between now and my return!

So do I. I travel from Dublin to London on Sunday 22nd August and From LHR to Malta on Monday 23rd at 10.30 on the BA flight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barney61 said:

So do I. I travel from Dublin to London on Sunday 22nd August and From LHR to Malta on Monday 23rd at 10.30 on the BA flight.

Annoyingly, BA have just cancelled my 06.15 early morning flight on the 19 September.... I wS originally allocated 10.50 with air Malta and rang to ask if could get on the early option.

I've now been booked on 14.15 ..... That's day 1 on my "11" day cruise gone.i arrive in time for bed... If on time. Ridiculous times.

Not Vikings fault I appreciate. I asked to get back on the 10.50, but only business is available and they expect me to pay an additional £1000 for a flight I already rejected as too late.

I wonder if arriving a day early in Malta is an option?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, les37b said:

Annoyingly, BA have just cancelled my 06.15 early morning flight on the 19 September.... I wS originally allocated 10.50 with air Malta and rang to ask if could get on the early option.

I've now been booked on 14.15 ..... That's day 1 on my "11" day cruise gone.i arrive in time for bed... If on time. Ridiculous times.

Not Vikings fault I appreciate. I asked to get back on the 10.50, but only business is available and they expect me to pay an additional £1000 for a flight I already rejected as too late.

My original BA flight was at 06.20 and shortly after was moved to 10.30

44 minutes ago, les37b said:

There is a 10.50am Air Malta flying out from Heathrow the day before on the 18th, but I'm sure I read somewhere that Viking will not allow UK guests to orgainise their own flights on these Welcome Back cruises. Which doesn't make sense, as many US guests are able to arrange their own flights and arrive into Malta days earlier than the cruise. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone heard if you (might?) need a printed version of the test results? I found that we can get a test at the airport for $250 each (yikes!) or we could get tested on Saturday and results would come the next day, but we would already be on our flight. I'm having a hard time justifying the $500 expense when I've been vaccinated and am feeling fine.

2 hours ago, les37b said:

We go out the week before on the 12th September. I was originally offered the BA flight at 10.50 am but when I came to book it (only 3 hours later) I was told I would have to be on the later Air Malta flight

15 hours ago, gma1 said:

We live outside DC in Vienna Virginia.  We have gone to a huge testing center at Tysons Corner to get a Covid test.  The company is called Same Day Health and have locations all across the area.  You can get test results within 16 hours sent to your phone and email.  When we went to Iceland in June we used them and we got the results in less than 16 hours.  I recommend them.  You book a time online and just drive there.  It is a drive through place and you don't need to get out of your car.  Here is the website. https://booking.sameday-testing.com/booking/virginia--tysons-corner

2 hours ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

There is a 10.50am Air Malta flying out from Heathrow the day before on the 18th, but I'm sure I read somewhere that Viking will not allow UK guests to orgainise their own flights on these Welcome Back cruises. Which doesn't make sense, as many US guests are able to arrange their own flights and arrive into Malta days earlier than the cruise. 🤷‍♂️

I think this might only apply to UK pax that do a Viking Air package. US cruisers have reported that when they wanted to use Viking Air that Viking would not allow “deviations”, so the US cruisers opted to purchase their own air. We did that.

3 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Pretty much impossible here to get a timely PCR test for WED night flight to Malta for 9 September. Monday is Labor Day. Tests may be open but lab processing not. Backlog.

Luckily Malta does not require COVID testing, so I’m not going to stress TOO much over it. I have an appointment with CVS about 72hrs before arrival and hoping their 1-2 day result time is accurate. I would like to know for peace of mind. Just in case Malta does require it before we leave (8/29), I also have an appointment with a place that gives same day results (for $200/person). Hopefully all this hassle will be worth it 😀. Our first Viking Ocean cruise (have done River).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NVAtravelers said:

We live outside DC in Vienna Virginia.  We have gone to a huge testing center at Tysons Corner to get a Covid test.  The company is called Same Day Health and have locations all across the area.  You can get test results within 16 hours sent to your phone and email.  When we went to Iceland in June we used them and we got the results in less than 16 hours.  I recommend them.  You book a time online and just drive there.  It is a drive through place and you don't need to get out of your car.  Here is the website. https://booking.sameday-testing.com/booking/virginia--tysons-corner

Thank you so much for this contact info!  Will check it out. That is quite a way from us...in the traffic on a Friday. I will check & see if there is one closer to us...might be just as easier to go to the next day at a lab near here & pay the lower price & be reimbursed by insurance. We live in town of Warrenton.