Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

3 hours ago, travelguy19 said:

Luckily Malta does not require COVID testing, so I’m not going to stress TOO much over it. I have an appointment with CVS about 72hrs before arrival and hoping their 1-2 day result time is accurate. I would like to know for peace of mind. Just in case Malta does require it before we leave (8/29), I also have an appointment with a place that gives same day results (for $200/person). Hopefully all this hassle will be worth it 😀. Our first Viking Ocean cruise (have done River).

21 minutes ago, steroc said:

We are on the same 10.30 flight

We are on the upcoming 8/23 cruise and have scheduled 10 AM CVS CPR tests this Friday and we leave Monday evening lat from Newark. Did a 11 AM CVS test run last Friday with CVS and got the results back Saturday at 1:30 PM. Hoping for the same turnaround this upcoming weekend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CLBSC said:

We are on the upcoming 8/23 cruise and have scheduled 10 AM CVS CPR tests this Friday and we leave Monday evening lat from Newark. Did a 11 AM CVS test run last Friday with CVS and got the results back Saturday at 1:30 PM. Hoping for the same turnaround this upcoming weekend.

See you on the plane with a negative 72 hour PCR test free from CVS.... 😃

• Like 2

17 hours ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

There is a 10.50am Air Malta flying out from Heathrow the day before on the 18th, but I'm sure I read somewhere that Viking will not allow UK guests to orgainise their own flights on these Welcome Back cruises. Which doesn't make sense, as many US guests are able to arrange their own flights and arrive into Malta days earlier than the cruise. 🤷‍♂️

I did ask them previously if I could do this (but for Iceland) and was told we must all travel as a bubble, which of course is complete nonsense since we will be mixing with all and sundry at the airport(s) and on the plane. I do however understand they are trying to minimise risks - but as you say, there appears to be discrimination going on here if its OK for one nationality but not another, especially when the UK seems to be "less infectious" than the US currently.

I will re-ask today. I really would prefer to fly the previous day anyway. The thought of missing day 1 (which this flight will do) or worse still, the cruise because the flight 24 hours later would be far too late for the cruise departure time.

BTW - did you need to book a Covid test for day 2 on your return? When I originally saw that quarantine for amber for vaccinated was now removed, I thought that was it. If a test was needed, was an NHS lateral flow ok? (If it isn't then it begs the question what the hell is that test for, since its a test for if you don't have symptoms!) I'm fine with obeying rules and personal safety, but this all smells with constant changes, its there to trap with a "gotcha" fine or hefty test bill, or both. 

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, travelguy19 said:

Luckily Malta does not require COVID testing, so I’m not going to stress TOO much over it. I have an appointment with CVS about 72hrs before arrival and hoping their 1-2 day result time is accurate. I would like to know for peace of mind. Just in case Malta does require it before we leave (8/29), I also have an appointment with a place that gives same day results (for $200/person). Hopefully all this hassle will be worth it 😀. Our first Viking Ocean cruise (have done River).

Very very good idea. Always best to plan for the unexpected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, les37b said:

I did ask them previously if I could do this (but for Iceland) and was told we must all travel as a bubble, which of course is complete nonsense since we will be mixing with all and sundry at the airport(s) and on the plane. I do however understand they are trying to minimise risks - but as you say, there appears to be discrimination going on here if its OK for one nationality but not another, especially when the UK seems to be "less infectious" than the US currently.

I will re-ask today. I really would prefer to fly the previous day anyway. The thought of missing day 1 (which this flight will do) or worse still, the cruise because the flight 24 hours later would be far too late for the cruise departure time.

BTW - did you need to book a Covid test for day 2 on your return? When I originally saw that quarantine for amber for vaccinated was now removed, I thought that was it. If a test was needed, was an NHS lateral flow ok? (If it isn't then it begs the question what the hell is that test for, since its a test for if you don't have symptoms!) I'm fine with obeying rules and personal safety, but this all smells with constant changes, its there to trap with a "gotcha" fine or hefty test bill, or both. 

You have to book a Day 2 PCR test. This is private so you have to pay for it. You need to have it organised before you go as you need the Reference Number to put on your PLF when returning to the UK. Fines of up to £1,000 if you don't do this. I got mine from Randox at £48 each.

Edited by barney61

15 minutes ago, barney61 said:

You have to book a Day 2 PCR test. This is private so you have to pay for it. You need to have it organised before you go as you need the Reference Number to put on your PLF when returning to the UK. Fines of up to £1,000 if you don't do this. I got mine from Randox at £48 each.

Cheers.... What a con! 

Was this an appointment at a centre, or postal? So lateral flow not good enough! Ho hum! Defeats the logic of that test and government advice on who should take that test since its for people without symptoms, whereas a PCR is for those with symptoms! 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/testing-on-day-2-and-day-8-for-international-arrivals#minimum-standards-specific-to-day-2-tests

For further reading! It all makes complete sense and makes it all so obvious. 🤣

Book a test.....

Edited by les37b

6 minutes ago, les37b said:

Cheers.... What a con! 

Was this an appointment at a centre, or postal? So lateral flow not good enough! Ho hum! Defeats the logic of that test and government advice on who should take that test since its for people without symptoms, whereas a PCR is for those with symptoms! 

https://www.gov.uk/find-travel-test-provider

1 hour ago, barney61 said:

This is getting worse. So I scrolled through all the choices for London and the South East. Lots of £20 options.

After I spent 10 minutes giving these sites all of my personal details, the next screen tells me "sold out". How can postal be sold out? Why is the nearest site over an hours drive away! What happens if they change or cancel your flights? (All rhetorical..... just venting frustration as its getting clearer something that should be basic making people more willing to comply, is not what it should be.)

You cant even find out the location of these so called "local" sites until you've filled out the form. One turned out to be in Newcastle! You cant get much further away in England than that for me.

Edited by les37b

21 minutes ago, les37b said:

This is getting worse. So I scrolled through all the choices for London and the South East. Lots of £20 options.

After I spent 10 minutes giving these sites all of my personal details, the next screen tells me "sold out". How can postal be sold out? Why is the nearest site over an hours drive away! What happens if they change or cancel your flights? (All rhetorical..... just venting frustration as its getting clearer something that should be basic making people more willing to comply, is not what it should be.)

You cant even find out the location of these so called "local" sites until you've filled out the form. One turned out to be in Newcastle! You cant get much further away in England than that for me.

Get a test that you do at home and post it off on Day 2. That is what I am doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We used Express Test the moment we arrived at Heathrow for our day 2 PCR test. We wanted to get it out of the way. You can take your day 2 test any time from arrival day (day 0). I think we paid £68 each which is a con, but then most are. We got our results the next day at 5pm. Express Test are one of only a few who test at Arrivals & Departures at Heathrow. I believe they have car park testing and drive through testing at airports as well.

As Barney said, you'll need reference number as proof for your PLF back to the UK and the system knows if the number is not correct. I tried to see if it would accept any number. It didn't. Plus that test number is electronically linked to your passport number.

Edited by FirstTimeFreddy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers guys. Looks like the Randox one is better one for me. They have a collection point about 4 miles from me. I really don't trust the Royal mail, so having their courier collect and have them in their possession is better IMHO.... Unless of course they then batch them all together and then use royal Mail so you've lost near enough a day in their collection point! lol

This is really turning me cynical! 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

We used Express Test the moment we arrived at Heathrow for our day 2 PCR test. We wanted to get it out of the way. You can take your day 2 test any time from arrival day (day 0). I think we paid £68 each which is a con, but then most are. We got our results the next day at 5pm. Express Test are one of only a few who test at Arrivals & Departures at Heathrow. I believe they have car park testing and drive through testing at airports as well.

As Barney said, you'll need reference number as proof for your PLF back to the UK and the system knows if the number is not correct. I tried to see if it would accept any number. It didn't. Plus that test number is electronically linked to your passport number.

Just a question on this guys. Is it right that you cannot register your Day 2 test until the due time but you must have the reference number available to put on the PLF for return to UK?

1 hour ago, les37b said:

Cheers guys. Looks like the Randox one is better one for me. They have a collection point about 4 miles from me. I really don't trust the Royal mail, so having their courier collect and have them in their possession is better IMHO.... Unless of course they then batch them all together and then use royal Mail so you've lost near enough a day in their collection point! lol

You can get the randox one for £43 if you go though the link on the BA website and use the discount code. You don’t need to be flying with BA

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, barney61 said:

Just a question on this guys. Is it right that you cannot register your Day 2 test until the due time but you must have the reference number available to put on the PLF for return to UK?

You must complete your UK PLF within 48hrs before arrival back into the UK. As far as I'm aware it cannot be processed outside the 48hr period. You must have that reference number to input into your PLF otherwise the PLF website will not allow you to complete the document.

Edited by FirstTimeFreddy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

You must complete your UK PLF within 48hrs before arrival back into the UK. As far as I'm aware it cannot be processed outside the 48hr period. You must have that reference number to input into your PLF otherwise the PLF website will not allow you to complete the document.

Thanks guys😀

7 hours ago, les37b said:

les37b, I totally understand your frustration about missing part of the cruise. Because flights to the US leave so early, we have never had the last day of any Viking cruise. Always had to be off the ship about 3 a.m. which also ruins your last evening because getting to bed early is essential. 

1 minute ago, disudds said:

les37b, I totally understand your frustration about missing part of the cruise. Because flights to the US leave so early, we have never had the last day of any Viking cruise. Always had to be off the ship about 3 a.m. which also ruins your last evening because getting to bed early is essential. 

Unfortunately this happens on both ends for this. The flights from Malta depart at 7.15 

Should really be called a 9 day cruise! 😆

• Like 1

3 hours ago, les37b said:

Well it appears my cynicism wasn't misguided.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9875721/Photos-expose-absolute-testing-mess-Covid-PCR-tests.html

Firm behind PCR travel testing collection bin fiasco has made £120m from Covid pandemic - as defiant bosses tell customers to pay EVEN MORE for a courier if they don't want to leave their test on the street
Randox boxes piled high outside London pharmacies as situation branded a farce as they are left overflowing

• Customers were too worried to drop off samples at the drop-off points because of number of tests there
  • Families face paying hundreds of pounds extra to travel abroad this summer because of testing demands
  • Health Secretary asks Competition and Markets Authority to investigated and  help cut huge costs 

The testing firm walloped by customers for their overflowing 'drop bins' today hit back and told them to pay for swabs to be couriered to their lab if they aren't happy to leave them piled up on the street as it was revealed it has made at least £120million during the pandemic.

Randox also denied claims that personal information was 'left for anyone to take' because of the piles of uncollected tests or that the 'absolute mess' outside pharmacies was the reason for any delayed test results. 

Gavin Marshall tweeted one of the photos from Sutton, south-west London and said: 'Forced to pay @RandoxOfficial over the odds for Day 2 PCR test, drive 30 mins to drop off sample because so few collection points only to find it over-flowing and insecure. Covid travel rip off'.

Replying to his tweet the company said: 'If these locations do not suit your needs then the onus is on the customer to arrange an alternative company'. A spokesman added: 'These sample kits do not include any customer personal information whatsoever'.

Northern Ireland-based Randox Health, the UK's largest Covid-19 PCR testing provider with a turnover of £118million-a-year, is one of the companies offering the service, with drop off points for samples in 100 locations.

And last September the business became responsible for a quarter of all community tests across the UK after winning a £133million contract in March 2020.  Before the pandemic it made most of its cash from tests created for cardiac risk, various cancers and diabetes.

The 'absolute mess' in Britain's 'rip off' PCR testing system was laid bare today in shocking pictures of uncollected £50-a-time samples piled high outside UK pharmacies.

Travel guru Paul Charles tweeted: 'What's the point of taking a Day 2 PCR test?', adding the photos were 'a symbol of the absolute mess that PCR testing has become. Samples left for anyone to take, and proof of private labs that aren't in any hurry to turn around the results. Let alone send them for genomic sequencing that Government isn't so interested in now'. 

The chaos at Randox drop-off boxes in London was revealed by angry customers who said they didn't dare leave their tests, branding them 'overflowing and insecure'. 

What a lovely company!

A rammed Randox drop off point in London with uncollected PCR tests piled high in a picture showing the chaos of the current privately run holiday testing system

A rammed Randox drop off point in London with uncollected PCR tests piled high in a picture showing the chaos of the current privately run holiday testing system

• Like 2

20 hours ago, gma1 said:

Thank you so much for this contact info!  Will check it out. That is quite a way from us...in the traffic on a Friday. I will check & see if there is one closer to us...might be just as easier to go to the next day at a lab near here & pay the lower price & be reimbursed by insurance. We live in town of Warrenton.

I didn't know you lived that far from DC!  I certainly know about the traffic here.  If you can find a place closer that would be your best bet.  Good luck!  We are on the September 19 Malta/Adriatic cruise so we have a little more time.  Have a good trip!

14 minutes ago, NVAtravelers said:

I didn't know you lived that far from DC!  I certainly know about the traffic here.  If you can find a place closer that would be your best bet.  Good luck!  We are on the September 19 Malta/Adriatic cruise so we have a little more time.  Have a good trip!

Yes but totally appreciate you sharing with us. Husband is retired FAA (air traffic)  & doesn't have to fight the traffic anymore, thank goodness! Its a little piece of paradise out here! You get on our ship the day we get off !This will be our 4th Viking Ocean & 2 Viking River. Appreciate Viking's organization & quality of their ships as well as the care given to passengers. We have cruised many times on other cruise lines & I worked on a few in the Caribbean when we lived there years ago , bridge, tennis, crafts & such recreational - temporary fun positions.  Viking is awesome! Have a fun, relaxed cruise!

5 hours ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

We have looked into this company and although you can get cheaper tests (usually by post) was impressed by the easy wording and instructions provided on their website. We are getting a pre flight test at one of their drive through centres Friday afternoon and should get the result by Saturday 10.00pm. We plan on getting the return test at Heathrow on our arrival to get it out of the way. Thank you Freddy for sharing your experience.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gma1 said:

Yes but totally appreciate you sharing with us. Husband is retired FAA (air traffic)  & doesn't have to fight the traffic anymore, thank goodness! Its a little piece of paradise out here! You get on our ship the day we get off !This will be our 4th Viking Ocean & 2 Viking River. Appreciate Viking's organization & quality of their ships as well as the care given to passengers. We have cruised many times on other cruise lines & I worked on a few in the Caribbean when we lived there years ago , bridge, tennis, crafts & such recreational - temporary fun positions.  Viking is awesome! Have a fun, relaxed cruise!

Thank you!  You all have a great trip, too.  This will be our 3rd Viking Ocean and we also have taken 2 Viking River.  We like Viking very much.  We don't have much experience with other cruise lines but we did take a cruise around Iceland in June on Ponant, a small ship French cruise line but it was the ship the tour company Tauck was using and we booked the tour through Tauck.  It was a fun trip.  The ship was luxurious and the service was exceptional.  Everything went very well.  Hoping this trip is, too.  My husband is still working for the Navy (DoD) but is retiring at the end of the year.  I have been retired for 5 years.  Love it!

6 hours ago, les37b said:

Well it appears my cynicism wasn't misguided.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9875721/Photos-expose-absolute-testing-mess-Covid-PCR-tests.html

Firm behind PCR travel testing collection bin fiasco has made £120m from Covid pandemic - as defiant bosses tell customers to pay EVEN MORE for a courier if they don't want to leave their test on the street
Randox boxes piled high outside London pharmacies as situation branded a farce as they are left overflowing

• Customers were too worried to drop off samples at the drop-off points because of number of tests there
  • Families face paying hundreds of pounds extra to travel abroad this summer because of testing demands
  • Health Secretary asks Competition and Markets Authority to investigated and  help cut huge costs 

The testing firm walloped by customers for their overflowing 'drop bins' today hit back and told them to pay for swabs to be couriered to their lab if they aren't happy to leave them piled up on the street as it was revealed it has made at least £120million during the pandemic.

Randox also denied claims that personal information was 'left for anyone to take' because of the piles of uncollected tests or that the 'absolute mess' outside pharmacies was the reason for any delayed test results. 

Gavin Marshall tweeted one of the photos from Sutton, south-west London and said: 'Forced to pay @RandoxOfficial over the odds for Day 2 PCR test, drive 30 mins to drop off sample because so few collection points only to find it over-flowing and insecure. Covid travel rip off'.

Replying to his tweet the company said: 'If these locations do not suit your needs then the onus is on the customer to arrange an alternative company'. A spokesman added: 'These sample kits do not include any customer personal information whatsoever'.

Northern Ireland-based Randox Health, the UK's largest Covid-19 PCR testing provider with a turnover of £118million-a-year, is one of the companies offering the service, with drop off points for samples in 100 locations.

And last September the business became responsible for a quarter of all community tests across the UK after winning a £133million contract in March 2020.  Before the pandemic it made most of its cash from tests created for cardiac risk, various cancers and diabetes.

The 'absolute mess' in Britain's 'rip off' PCR testing system was laid bare today in shocking pictures of uncollected £50-a-time samples piled high outside UK pharmacies.

Travel guru Paul Charles tweeted: 'What's the point of taking a Day 2 PCR test?', adding the photos were 'a symbol of the absolute mess that PCR testing has become. Samples left for anyone to take, and proof of private labs that aren't in any hurry to turn around the results. Let alone send them for genomic sequencing that Government isn't so interested in now'. 

The chaos at Randox drop-off boxes in London was revealed by angry customers who said they didn't dare leave their tests, branding them 'overflowing and insecure'. 

What a lovely company!

Hear what you say but for a day 2 test does it matter if it doesn’t come back in 24 hours, it’s one of the cheapest, sorry but I can’t see the downside , if I have done my test with a government approved supplier in the required timescale it’s no longer my issue