Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

Hi All. I started reading this forum and realized our return flight needs to be after 8 or 9 am. We are on the Viking Sea September 19 through the 29th. Viking Air booked us on a flight out of Malta departing at 7:10 am to Vienna with a 1hour 5 minute layover to Washington DC.  Should we be concerned?

Robin

14 hours ago, crochetgirl said:

Newbie question here:

We have some Euros from previous trips (not with Viking) that we wish to use for tips on the excursions. However, most of it is in larger bills than what we will need. What are your suggestions on how to break them while we're in the Viking bubble on Malta and Greece? It's not like we can go make a small purchase before we get on board!

I would love to hear how others have solved this problem. Thanks!

We used an ATM at the Malta airport when we arrived and Guest Services on the Venus exchanged larger bills for 5 and 10 euro bills as well as 1 and 2 euro coins for tipping guides & drivers.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, catswin said:

This is good info.  I am a bit concerned about these walks as have issues with walking and standing these days.  Hoping there will be enough places to park my bum for a few minutes and I will be good for another walk!

20 hours ago, gma1 said:

EXACTLY my husbands words! I would think there are walls & such & hopefully considerate guides. Super helpful  information  cboyle....thanks so much.

You're welcome. We took 10 optional tours too, if people have questions about some of them.

When we stopped on the walking tours, people were able to find walls, steps, benches, etc. to sit on most of the time. However, we usually did not stop for very long in one spot. If this is a concern for you, you might want to look into a cane with a seat. Those are available at places like Amazon or Walgreens for under $25.

Hi,

We’re on the Sept 12th cruise. For those who have sailed recently, has Viking let passengers disembark independently in Montenegro or Croatia? I thought I’d read that in a couple of others’ posts, but I’m curious if they now permit it. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 7:40 PM, travelguy19 said:

I saw somewhere that they took people on a bus tour around Malta for a couple of hours before the airport. 

On 8/13/2021 at 6:02 PM, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

Does anyone know what Viking is doing with us on disembarkation day if your flight isn't until 1:30pm?

This is what Viking did at the end of the August 10 cruise on the Viking Sea.

IMG_0042.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JoeMags said:

Hi,

We’re on the Sept 12th cruise. For those who have sailed recently, has Viking let passengers disembark independently in Montenegro or Croatia? I thought I’d read that in a couple of others’ posts, but I’m curious if they now permit it. Thanks!

On the Viking Sea for the August 10 cruise, we were allowed to tour independently in Montenegro and Croatia because both of those were Level 3 (High) according to the CDC COVID Risk Assessment. Malta was Level 4 (Very High), so we had to stay in the Viking bubble there. It is not possible to know at this time what the risk levels will be for your cruise.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/map-and-travel-notices.html

BTW, as of today Malta and Montenegro are now Level 4, but Croatia is still Level 3.

Edited by cboyle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cboyle said:

This is what Viking did at the end of the August 10 cruise on the Viking Sea.

IMG_0042.jpg

we did same thing, as most of us were on the charter from Malta to Newark. It was a good way to pass the time.  

1 hour ago, cboyle said:

You're welcome. We took 10 optional tours too, if people have questions about some of them.

When we stopped on the walking tours, people were able to find walls, steps, benches, etc. to sit on most of the time. However, we usually did not stop for very long in one spot. If this is a concern for you, you might want to look into a cane with a seat. Those are available at places like Amazon or Walgreens for under $25.

Since you offered, what optional excursions were really good, and what ones were not so great? Here is what I’m currently signed up for:

Malta Capitals, Old & New

Highlights of Montenegro

Dubrovnik City Wall Walk

Highlights of Split Riviera

Krka Waterfalls & Skradin

Comino Sail & Swim

Thanks so much!

We were on the Aug 23 cruise from Malta and we stayed in the Viking bubble in Montenegro, which wasn't really a problem since we were such a small group. Once we got to Croatia everything opened up and we could wander on our own. Which we did.

Edited by DarcyWilloughby
  • Thanks 1

Travelguy19: We walled the Dubrovnik City walls 10  years ago, and it is not for the faint of heart. Getting up to the top of the wall can be tricky, but the hardest thing was there was no shade and the sun beating down can be brutal. The earlier in the day you do this walk the better. On our visit this August we skipped the walk (which has spectacular views) because it was unbearably hot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zodiacsign said:

If they've booked your flights, they'll get you to the airport. I'm on another Viking and our departing flight is 7:30am or something. Every other cruise I've been on has had some people leaving for early flights, organised by the cruise line.

Thank you! 😊  I truly feel better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tennis Gal 17 said:

Thank you! 😊  I truly feel better.

Yes they are super organized. On the past Viking cruises everyone getting off will have to have their luggage out in hallway super early...possibly even night before.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gma1 said:

Yes they are super organized. On the past Viking cruises everyone getting off will have to have their luggage out in hallway super early...possibly even night before.

only if you don't want to carry your luggage out with you.  we kept our luggage with us so we didn't have to mess with packing early and carrying some of our clothes with us.  we pack with caryons only so it is not a problem for us to carry our own baggage.

2 hours ago, rizello said:

only if you don't want to carry your luggage out with you.  we kept our luggage with us so we didn't have to mess with packing early and carrying some of our clothes with us.  we pack with caryons only so it is not a problem for us to carry our own baggage.

I haven't quite got it down to carry on, especially for a 3 week cruise...but I do keep my small roller bag with me. Always have a couple changes of clothes "just in case"! I have seen people have to go through an entire cruise with nothing to wear but lost & found clothing items the ship provided & maybe a tourist shop t-shirt. That would be a nightmare for me! 

6 hours ago, travelguy19 said:

Since you offered, what optional excursions were really good, and what ones were not so great? Here is what I’m currently signed up for:

Malta Capitals, Old & New

Highlights of Montenegro

Dubrovnik City Wall Walk

Highlights of Split Riviera

Krka Waterfalls & Skradin

Comino Sail & Swim

Thanks so much!

We did three of those and thought they were all very good.

For the "Highlights of Montenegro," you take a bus up a windy road (Serpentina) with 25 switchbacks to great views of  the harbor. The mountain the bus climbed is part of Lovćen National Park. We stopped at a taverna in Njeguši for some local wine, cheese, and prosciutto. In Montenegro’s former capital, Cetinje, we visited the museum that was the first and only king of Montenegro’s palace. One of our group of 19 got lost somehow and our guide had to go searching for her while we all sat on the bus for 15 minutes. This was a long (5 hours) tour and we returned to Kotor along the Mediterranean coast, passing several resort areas. It was not so smoky in the mountains and the forested scenery was lovely.

John and I had been to Dubrovnik in 2008 with our son and DIL. Then we had all walked the city walls (in the rain) and afterwards John and I took a DIY walking tour of the old city. We enjoyed that enough to do the walking tour on the walls again. The city is much better restored than in 2008, probably due to “Game of Thrones” filming here. Our guide said people call it “King’s Landing” and don’t believe Dubrovnik is a real city. The temps were in the high 80s and it was a bright, sunny day. The pace was pretty slow, but there are a lot of steps and several people had to drop out along the way.

The tour to the Krka Waterfalls National Park was offered from several ports, but the one from Sibenik involved the shortest bus ride. The part of the park that we visited had a 1.6 mile circuit of boardwalks and paths around a series of small falls over travertine terraces.

A number of people in our group had to remain at the overlooks at the starting point because making the circuit required climbing up 200 steps at the end. We had the choice of sticking with the rest of the group or going it alone, so we set off by ourselves.

The topography is very interesting—the river is quite wide and shallow as it spreads out over the terraces. The are a number of overlooks to get good views and there is a long footbridge in front of the largest section of the falls. The park was very crowded, so it took time to wait for all the selfies for our chance for a good look. Our guide had told us earlier that it used to be even more crowded before swimming in the falls and pools was forbidden. Although the falls individually are not very high, the overall effect is very attractive and we were glad we had the opportunity to visit this popular sight. This and the hike in Paklenica National Park were our two favorite tours.

Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cboyle said:

We did three of those and thought they were all very good.

For the "Highlights of Montenegro," you take a bus up a windy road (Serpentina) with 25 switchbacks to great views of  the harbor. The mountain the bus climbed is part of Lovćen National Park. We stopped at a taverna in Njeguši for some local wine, cheese, and prosciutto. In Montenegro’s former capital, Cetinje, we visited the museum that was the first and only king of Montenegro’s palace. One of our group of 19 got lost somehow and our guide had to go searching for her while we all sat on the bus for 15 minutes. This was a long (5 hours) tour and we returned to Kotor along the Mediterranean coast, passing several resort areas. It was not so smoky in the mountains and the forested scenery was lovely.

John and I had been to Dubrovnik in 2008 with our son and DIL. Then we had all walked the city walls (in the rain) and afterwards John and I took a DIY walking tour of the old city. We enjoyed that enough to do the walking tour on the walls again. The city is much better restored than in 2008, probably due to “Game of Thrones” filming here. Our guide said people call it “King’s Landing” and don’t believe Dubrovnik is a real city. The temps were in the high 80s and it was a bright, sunny day. The pace was pretty slow, but there are a lot of steps and several people had to drop out along the way.

The tour to the Krka Waterfalls National Park was offered from several ports, but the one from Sibenik involved the shortest bus ride. The part of the park that we visited had a 1.6 mile circuit of boardwalks and paths around a series of small falls over travertine terraces.

A number of people in our group had to remain at the overlooks at the starting point because making the circuit required climbing up 200 steps at the end. We had the choice of sticking with the rest of the group or going it alone, so we set off by ourselves.

The topography is very interesting—the river is quite wide and shallow as it spreads out over the terraces. The are a number of overlooks to get good views and there is a long footbridge in front of the largest section of the falls. The park was very crowded, so it took time to wait for all the selfies for our chance for a good look. Our guide had told us earlier that it used to be even more crowded before swimming in the falls and pools was forbidden. Although the falls individually are not very high, the overall effect is very attractive and we were glad we had the opportunity to visit this popular sight. This and the hike in Paklenica National Park were our two favorite tours.

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much for your very detailed reviews! The descriptions always make every excursion sound wonderful, but you never really know. We are leaving on Sunday, so definitely getting excited!

On 8/24/2021 at 7:45 PM, crochetgirl said:

Newbie question here:

We have some Euros from previous trips (not with Viking) that we wish to use for tips on the excursions. However, most of it is in larger bills than what we will need. What are your suggestions on how to break them while we're in the Viking bubble on Malta and Greece? It's not like we can go make a small purchase before we get on board!

I would love to hear how others have solved this problem

Edited by Harrietq

On 8/24/2021 at 7:29 PM, catswin said:

This is good info.  I am a bit concerned about these walks as have issues with walking and standing these days.  Hoping there will be enough places to park my bum for a few minutes and I will be good for another walk!

I have bought a Flipstick (easy find searching internet)  for perching when there are no seats.  You’ve reminded me to pack mine 

13 hours ago, travelguy19 said:

Thanks so much for your very detailed reviews! The descriptions always make every excursion sound wonderful, but you never really know. We are leaving on Sunday, so definitely getting excited!

I am working on a review to be published in the "Reviews" section here on Cruise Critic, but it will take awhile.  In the meantime, I will use parts of it to answer questions.

BTW, it is not on your list, but we thought the prehistoric megalithic temples at Ggantija were outstanding.

• Like 1