Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

6 hours ago, les37b said:

Cheers Clay. Always my intention to buy, just the when part.

Whilst drinking would mostly be confined to meal times and covered, I'd certainly like a cocktail or two during the day and before and after dinner. I doubt we would have a day we won't break even apart from day 1 where our flights arrive so late. (Thanks to British Airways)

Given your late arrival, you may want to confirm a previous poster’s statement that it has to be purchased on Day 1. I have a recollection of reading somewhere that it could be purchased on Day 2 also (and only pay for the remaining days) but I could be thinking of a different cruiseline. 

Sure wish there was a way for 2 couples traveling together (where one person per couple does not drink) could get these packages without paying double....although, I cannot believe how reasonable Viking drinks are....when you figure it out one has to drink quite a bit to justify the package in this regard.

1 hour ago, zodiacsign said:

Per my conversation with the captain 5 minutes ago, there are about 170 Brits aboard the Sea right now. (Probably the entirety of the Air Malta flight to Heathrow on Thursday morning....). 

Not the entirety…

You never know, the Air Malta captain may also be on the cruise lol. 

For those reading here who are new to Viking, to add to the gift shop tips - some of the fun stuff like the cute gnome softies, sell out quickly. See if you can get in and browse on the first day. 

If you're on longer cruises, they often get new stock at changeover ports (Bangkok, Tokyo, for the Pacific/Asia routes etc). So if you're staying on, ask what they will have. On previous cruises they have also had books by the on-board speakers. 

A big change with these welcome back cruises is the lack of changing entertainment - pre covid it was usual to have musicians etc hop on and off at different ports. 

I've found the service to be great, but the food a bit more hit and miss. Manfredis is not as good as previous cruises. I think it might be the logistics of a half full ship that they're relying more on frozen stuff (the veal, salmon, and vegetable medley are in high rotation).No themed grill nights on the Aquavit terrace. 

1 hour ago, zodiacsign said:

Per my conversation with the captain 5 minutes ago, there are about 170 Brits aboard the Sea right now. (Probably the entirety of the Air Malta flight to Heathrow on Thursday morning....). 

Any trouble between the Brits & the Colonials?
Asking for a friend on the 9 Sept cruise.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Any trouble between the Brits & the Colonials?
Asking for a friend on the 9 Sept cruise.

Heck no..none that I've seen or heard. Tell your friend its worth all the hassle of paper work & such. Give me 2 Brits any day (versus 2 USA ) for the Trivia contest!! We are one big happy family!! This has been a fab cruise...& more to come as we are on for 21 days..full cruise. Our 2 days in Valletta (for 2nd time)  will be a very relaxing time. & no jet lag. We have been offered a couple more excursions for either day ( 9th & 10th) with a Viking credit of $25 pp...however we are just gonna chill,( maybe do our laundry ) & hopefully have the awesome views we had first time to enjoy.

• Like 4

Got my luggage tags ,paper and the red leather ones in the mail yesterday. 

My countdown has begun till I'm on the Viking Venus in Malta on Oct 12. 

So looking forward to this quick gateway cruise, visiting Sicily, Sardinia, Valencia and Barcelona.

• Like 4

My excruciatingly detailed report on our August 10 "Malta & Adriatic Jewels" is now online at:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=682319

Please note that the full report is at the beginning; the sections on each port are both part of the full report AND separately by port at the bottom. I thought Cruise Critic put the port reviews in a separate section of the website, but apparently they go at the end of each report.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

8 hours ago, JohnCoffield said:

Joining Viking Venus late on Sunday - does anyone know if you still have to book a time slot for the gym?

On the Venus now,  do not have to book a time. Husband  just goes in. We get off on Sunday. Staff is wonderful. Enjoy your journey. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm aware I need to fill out a passenger location form for entry into Malta from the UK and a similar form for the UK.

Does the form for Malta cover for croatia, or is a separate form needed to be filled out? I did spot there is a form for Entry into Croatia HERE.

Any assistance appreciated.

5 hours ago, les37b said:

I'm aware I need to fill out a passenger location form for entry into Malta from the UK and a similar form for the UK.

Does the form for Malta cover for croatia, or is a separate form needed to be filled out? I did spot there is a form for Entry into Croatia HERE.

Hi les37b

My husband David and I (Janet) are on the same cruise as you from 19 Sept. We fly out from Heathrow on the Air Malta flight after BA changed our early morning flight to an afternoon one. (We share your exasperation at the hands of BA!) We, too, have filled in a PLF for Malta and assumed our vaccination certificates less than 270 days old would suffice for Croatia as per Section 8 of the terms and conditions of the link you provided. Any clarification from previous passengers on the Malta and Adriatic Jewels cruises would be greatly appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Colourmeautumn said:

Hi les37b

My husband David and I (Janet) are on the same cruise as you from 19 Sept. We fly out from Heathrow on the Air Malta flight after BA changed our early morning flight to an afternoon one. (We share your exasperation at the hands of BA!) We, too, have filled in a PLF for Malta and assumed our vaccination certificates less than 270 days old would suffice for Croatia as per Section 8 of the terms and conditions of the link you provided. Any clarification from previous passengers on the Malta and Adriatic Jewels cruises would be greatly appreciated.

I unfortunately saw the BA flight had gone and rather foolishly waited for Viking to contact..... and then it was too late - and there were no places left on your Air Malta flight. (I actually was offered that first off when I booked and said I wanted earlier!) So we will miss lunch and dinner on the first day!!! (Not impressed with that - but not pointing fingers at Viking either.)

I expect even if it is required for Croatia, it may be fine to do it from the ship and be within any time constraints - but I 100% agree, I like to plan things and know exactly what is needed. Sorting this I have found exceptionally taxing all round.

My PCR kits arrived today from Randox. I took Vikings advice and booked a pre flight one (as well as the 2 day) purely because Id kick myself if Malta changed a day or 2 before flying leaving us unable to travel. At least its here. If they do not change, I shalt be doing the test and sending. As stated, I honestly don't want to risk a false positive and unable to fly as a result when its a test I don't need to take!

Hopefully see you on board..... I think we will ideally be in the Aquait Terrace sipping on a cooling cocktail and removing all the stress! lol

6 hours ago, les37b said:

Viking’s pre-cruise requirements are always posted on their website (and usually in MVJ as well). 
https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-210901-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-Malta-US-UK-FINAL.pdf

29 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Viking’s pre-cruise requirements are always posted on their website (and usually in MVJ as well). 
https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-210901-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-Malta-US-UK-FINAL.pdf

We have completed the Malta and Adriatic Jewels and the only PLF needed was for Malta. We are currently on the Malta and Greek Islands cruise and again the only PLF needed is for Malta. Please note it has to be the online dPLF for Malta

• Like 1

les we arrived on  Viking in the Caribbean even later than you and were very impressed with the bottle of wine, plate of tiny sandwiches and plate of mini cakes.  This was after midnight.    I think that if there are a. few of you they will have made arrangements to feed you.

4 hours ago, les37b said:

I unfortunately saw the BA flight had gone and rather foolishly waited for Viking to contact..... and then it was too late - and there were no places left on your Air Malta flight. (I actually was offered that first off when I booked and said I wanted earlier!) So we will miss lunch and dinner on the first day!!! (Not impressed with that - but not pointing fingers at Viking either.)

I expect even if it is required for Croatia, it may be fine to do it from the ship and be within any time constraints - but I 100% agree, I like to plan things and know exactly what is needed. Sorting this I have found exceptionally taxing all round.

My PCR kits arrived today from Randox. I took Vikings advice and booked a pre flight one (as well as the 2 day) purely because Id kick myself if Malta changed a day or 2 before flying leaving us unable to travel. At least its here. If they do not change, I shalt be doing the test and sending. As stated, I honestly don't want to risk a false positive and unable to fly as a result when its a test I don't need to take!

Hopefully see you on board..... I think we will ideally be in the Aquait Terrace sipping on a cooling cocktail and removing all the stress! lol

u

We are due to fly Air Malta from Heathrow to Valletta on 19 September.  We gather queues can be slow, mainly because of checking additional paperwork.  Other than this can anyone give us an idea of what Air Malta is like to travel on?  And anything on the very early flight back to London?

Thanks to people for some very full information on excursions and food on Viking Sea.