Impact of UK listing US & Canada as 'Amber' on traffic light system

The UK's listing of US and Canada as Amber on their traffic light system for international travel means up to a mandatory 10-day quarantine on arrival in the UK and two PCR tests (5-day release possible after negative texts on day 2 and five.) In addition, Norway is still closed to all international travel. Will Silversea need to change the itinerary or cancel the voyage for the Silver Whisper from Edinburgh to Tromso sailing to/from the UK this summer?   

I am wondering about all the cruises and how SS is going to handle ports that are "unfriendly" so to speak. Will we just skip them, change the itinerary or cancel?

We have done all we can so we can travel. We will NOT quarantine anywhere, that's for sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dear commodoredave, thanks for the question.

Rest assured, your comfort is of utmost importance to us and we understand that quarantining before a cruise is simply not an option. Our hope is that this measure will change as the fluid situation evolves, but if not, guests can take advantage of our flexible booking terms to reschedule their sailing. We continue to work closely with governments and health authorities around the world, including those in the UK, to determine the feasibility of operating each of our scheduled voyages. We are cancelling voyages on a rolling basis, meaning we are only cancelling voyages once we are certain that they cannot operate. This gives us the best possible chance of operating each voyage. Of course, we remain in constant contact with all booked guests and we will be sure to let them know in the first instance if their itinerary is amended or cancelled.

Barbara

19 hours ago, Barbara Muckermann said:

We are cancelling voyages on a rolling basis, meaning we are only cancelling voyages once we are certain that they cannot operate.

To quote from Dumb and Dumber: "So you're telling me there's chance!" 😉

The Whisper trip Edinburg to Tromso is 67 days away, and with the rapid pace of change in travel requirements/possibilities around the world, Silversea is not yet ready to throw in the towel and cancel this cruise. It's certainly possible that in that time period, Norway will reopen to tourists, and that flying back from Norway to the UK will not require quarantine. Of course SS can't wait until July to make that decision, but they're clearly holding on to the possibility it will be possible to sail. Of course, this leaves booked customers somewhat in limbo, but you can still cancel if you decide you wouldn't want to go if the cruise goes ahead.

• Like 2

Barbara, thanks for the response.

I'm afraid I will probably cancel as I have other reservations connected to the cruise for international and local air flights, trains, and hotels, some of which I need to cancel soon for a refund if the cruise will not be going ahead as planned. 

Just too much uncertainty right now which is making travel to certain destinations a huge question mark.