Only holding a deposit for three months - is that fair?

ISS

Last month I posted about my unwillingness to confirm a reservation made summer 2020 for late summer 2021. It had been made in the hope that Covid would be behind us - but whilst things are improving it is clear that cruising will continue to be abnormal for some time. However, I delayed contacting Fred Olsen until today. 

Before contacting them I checked out their FAQs regarding port calls. Last month they were vague as to whether one would be able to "do your own thing". It has now been replaced by "So that we comply with requirements set out by the UK government and our governing body CLIA, guests will only be able to disembark in a port of call as part of an organised shore excursion."

So that finally decided it for me and I sent an email asking to cancel and hold my deposit for future use. 

I was phoned back within the hour by someone telling me that they could only hold deposits for three months - which would give me time to make another booking. But I really don't want to book anything until normality resumes.

I am not asking for any money back as I realise that things have been difficult BUT really if I choose a cruise for next summer at his stage there is no guarantee I won't be just kicking the can down the road until this time next year and find myself in the same situation. 

Why a three month limit - given the uncertainty?

If I had known that as far as cruising is concerned normality wouldn't have returned by this summer I wouldn't have made the booking in the first place. 

In the past year I have had to cancel / reschedule a number of hotel based holidays and have found those to be so much more flexible.

Any thoughts?

Any one found themselves in the same situation?

John

It may be just holding monies not associated to a cruise may cause them problems, ask them if you book a cruise, can you change the booking at a later date without penalty or will you be charged. They may be more responsive.