Tux Rental

I have sons 17 and 18 years old. They needed a tux for Junior/Senior prom on May 6th. My daughter's wedding is May 15th on board before departure and they both are in the wedding party. They also needed something for formal nights on the cruise. When we went in for the fittings, I talked with the clerk at After Hours. They worked out a deal. We pick up the tuxes for the prom and keep them until the cruise returns. We will return them to an After Hours location in Miami the day we get back. Each son will have two accessory packages that include the vest, tie, shirt, shoes, cuff links. They are about the same size, so they can trade off on the vests/ties if they want. The total cost for the original tux rental, late fee, and extra accessory package is $167 each. I thought that was reasonable to cover so many formal functions. Much cheaper than renting for both the prom and then the wedding and then purchasing for formal nights. Just an idea for anyone else that has sons/men that don't generally wear or own a lot of formal wear.

I used to work for them and they're very good about renting for longer periods. Just make sure you pick them up and have the boys try them on at the store early. If it's too late on the night before the day you need them, and something doesn't fit, the store may be unable to get replacements from the warehouse. And my store at least didn't keep each size of each style in the store so we can't just switch things out.

That's a great idea.

I also have a question...

How much notice in advance before your cruise should I take my husband's measurements to be able to get a tux on the ship? The reason why I am asking is that, he is losing weight and has lost 25 pounds and plans on losing more before the cruise. Can I send it in a week or two before or do they have to have like a months noticed or before?

Where is the best place or where should we go about getting a tux for formal night delivered to our room? Does our TA have to take care of that or do we call ourselves?

This will be our 5th Wedding Anniversary and my husband's birthday on the cruise in October. He has never wore a tux other than our wedding and he looked so awesome in it!!!

Any info is much appreciated!

Thanks!

It'd probably be best to call the cruiseline and ask for their particular policy. It might also be possible to send in measurements a couple months before and then remeasure and give them those right before, just to make sure the tux will still fit.

I bought my son, when he was a junior in high school, a tux at Syms. It was a really good investment. He has worn it several times (two proms junior year and one senior year) also to weddings, bar mitzvahs, etc. It has served him well and still fits him. He graduated from college last spring. I know I didn't pay more than $200 for the whole shebang, including all of the accessories. For his senior prom, we bought him a blue bow tie and cummerbund, which his dad has worn upon occasion.

--Judy

Archived