Computer assisted mailings

Sunburg1

We have a cruise booked on the Oosterdam to Alaska in mid-August. We all know it is almost certain not to go. Today I got an “Important message from Holland America” in my e-mail, it turned out to be a reminder to be sure our passports were current.

We have an Oosterdam booked July 4th and I got an email on Sunday. I figured it was the cancellation one but it wasn't. There was a change to our boarding time! I sent it on to our TA and she called HAL yesterday. They told her that they are planning on sailing as long as the Alaska Recovery Act Bill passes. I'm still not holding my breath for July 4th - or for the Oosterdam - but the ones we have at the end of August and beginning of September to Alaska out of Seattle just may go. 

Karen

4 hours ago, luvteaching said:

We have an Oosterdam booked July 4th and I got an email on Sunday. I figured it was the cancellation one but it wasn't. There was a change to our boarding time! I sent it on to our TA and she called HAL yesterday. They told her that they are planning on sailing as long as the Alaska Recovery Act Bill passes. I'm still not holding my breath for July 4th - or for the Oosterdam - but the ones we have at the end of August and beginning of September to Alaska out of Seattle just may go. 

Karen

Agreed.  We are on July 10th on the Eurodam, which has been switched to the NA.  I've heard that the Odam may be replaced with the Westerdam.  They still have a lot to get in order to get these ships moving - the ships need to be crewed, crew needs to be vaccinated, provisions ordered and supply chains set up, and some ships may need some amount of wet dock work to be re-activated from warm layup.

On the shore side, they will need to hire port agents, hire shoreside shop workers, get excursions lined up with vendors, and adjust schedules and dock times potentially with alaskan ports if Victoria isn't happening.

Not that all of this can't be done, but combined with still a lot of CDC requirements of how food and drink will be disbursed (are buffets gone?), and this all assumes that the law sails through the House, gets Pres. Bidens signature, and then it usually takes a token amount of time to be written into the federal register.

There's a lot that needs to happen, in a specific order, in the next 75 or so days for Alaska cruises to happen.  It can happen, but I'm not sure it will in time for July voyages.

FYI, NCL has started selling Bliss RT cruises out of Seattle again for August of 2021 and Princess has rescheduled an webinar from this week to next with "important news" - might have something to do with Alaska.

Edited by cruisingrob21

43 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Agreed.  We are on July 10th on the Eurodam, which has been switched to the NA.  I've heard that the Odam may be replaced with the Westerdam.  They still have a lot to get in order to get these ships moving - the ships need to be crewed, crew needs to be vaccinated, provisions ordered and supply chains set up, and some ships may need some amount of wet dock work to be re-activated from warm layup.

On the shore side, they will need to hire port agents, hire shoreside shop workers, get excursions lined up with vendors, and adjust schedules and dock times potentially with alaskan ports if Victoria isn't happening.

Not that all of this can't be done, but combined with still a lot of CDC requirements of how food and drink will be disbursed (are buffets gone?), and this all assumes that the law sails through the House, gets Pres. Bidens signature, and then it usually takes a token amount of time to be written into the federal register.

There's a lot that needs to happen, in a specific order, in the next 75 or so days for Alaska cruises to happen.  It can happen, but I'm not sure it will in time for July voyages.

FYI, NCL has started selling Bliss RT cruises out of Seattle again for August of 2021 and Princess has rescheduled an webinar from this week to next with "important news" - might have something to do with Alaska.

We are also on your sailing.  I have heard nothing accept that our new cabin assignments on the Nieuw Amsterdam will be assigned in 30 days....which is coming up soon.  We have a suite booked for dh and me, along with another for my son, wife and grand daughter (rebooked from last year.) Air and hotels are booked.  I would just like a definitive answer from HAL this is causing me so much stress!

Now the judge says the states suing the CDC must go into mediation no later than June 1.  I don't see how they can get all this together by the 10th of July.

7 minutes ago, Loreto said:

We are also on your sailing.  I have heard nothing accept that our new cabin assignments on the Nieuw Amsterdam will be assigned in 30 days....which is coming up soon.  We have a suite booked for dh and me, along with another for my son, wife and grand daughter (rebooked from last year.) Air and hotels are booked.  I would just like a definitive answer from HAL this is causing me so much stress!

Now the judge says the states suing the CDC must go into mediation no later than June 1.  I don't see how they can get all this together by the 10th of July.

Agreed, not without a lot of risk.  But I don't think Washington was part of that lawsuit, so perhaps its not an issue for them.

Did you book easy air?  

I'll be sad not to go, but after looking at the prices in 2022 currently, I'll be happy if they move us to the same booking next year.  We had the "BOGO" deal on this cruise with some friends - they unfortunately can't go next year and we didn't get to keep that promo, but still got a great price on a balcony for this year.

The Norwegian Bliss actually has some pretty good prices on their August sailings from Seattle.  I would imagine those are a flip of the coin whether they will sail, but its nice to see some movement anywhere in the cruise industry.

2 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Agreed, not without a lot of risk.  But I don't think Washington was part of that lawsuit, so perhaps its not an issue for them.

Did you book easy air?  

I'll be sad not to go, but after looking at the prices in 2022 currently, I'll be happy if they move us to the same booking next year.  We had the "BOGO" deal on this cruise with some friends - they unfortunately can't go next year and we didn't get to keep that promo, but still got a great price on a balcony for this year.

The Norwegian Bliss actually has some pretty good prices on their August sailings from Seattle.  I would imagine those are a flip of the coin whether they will sail, but its nice to see some movement anywhere in the cruise industry.

I rebooked with an Alaska air voucher from last year.  I wonder how many times they will give you a voucher?  DH suggested keeping our flights and spending a week in Seattle.  Downtown hotels would be very expensive, and with all the unrest there I have no interest  in being a tourist in Seattle.

Karen

As a Portland resident, I can understand your concern.  I worked downtown last summer and it was a very surreal environment, during daytime everything was very nice but at night, it was a bit of an embarrassment.  Things have calmed down in both cities, but the reputations of both are tarnished and a plurality of citizens are demanding the leadership take action.

I might suggest an alternative for you...when we used to live in Seattle we would take the ferries to the Olympic pennisula or San Juan Islands (or even Whidbey island) and get an AirBnB and it was really nice.  Hard to beat the Pacific NW in the summer time.  Alternatively, the north cascades highway (state highway 20) combined with a few other highways and towns is a beautiful route to take in the summer.  Closer to Portland is the Columbia River Gorge highway (I-84) which is also beautiful.