Places to stay in Key West

angel41

I will check out the web site. We won't be on a cruise for the wedding though. We plan to stay atleast 5 nights in Key West next May or June for the wedding. I am going to be on a cruise this July and we will be in Key west for one day.

Sad,

Thanks for the info on the Coconut Beach resort. That is another choice for our stay next year. The pictures look awesome and I was thinking that the 2 bedroom would be nice??

I also like the looks of the Key West Hideaways. It would be nice to have a house.

SAD-

I went on the website and it looks nice. But when I called them regarding rates and availability, they said that because it was a timeshare, nothing was put up as available at this time. Since you own a timeshare there, how does that work? When do people make their units available?

Well, my husband takes care of paying for our fees for the timeshare but I believe that you must pay your annual fee (due by Feb.) before you can do any trading. When people trade that is when Coconut Beach knows what they have availabe for nightly customers. I hope this helps.

Sheryl

We stayed in one of the first floor rooms and actually went to bed quite early the day we arrived because we were getting up early the next morning to take the cruise out to the Dry Tortugas and Fort Jefferson and got a good nights sleep.

Hi wwinfl91-

We are going to be in Key West for five days in May and are considering taking the excursion out to the Dry Tortugas N.P. and Fort Jefferson. Which company did you go with and do you think it was worth it? The price seems a little high since we have a group of six. Any info. that you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mary in KC

Hi Mary,

We took the Yankee Freedom II which is the larger of the two tour ships that serve Ft Jefferson.

http://www.drytortugasinfo.com/

One of the specific reasons we were visiting Key West was to make the trip out to see the fort so cost was not a real factor in our decision to take the trip out. We took the Yankee Freedom because we had read on Trip Advisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34345-d584369-Reviews-Yankee_Freedom_II-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html

That the ship only takes half as many people as the ship was built to hold because of National park regulations on how many people can visit Fort Jefferson each day. That meant it wouldn't be crowded.

The other ship which is a catamaran is a little faster, it went by us leaving Key West and had already unloaded by the time we arrived at the dock but it can be sold to capacity when both ships are making trips. The Yankee Freedom can't if both ships are going.

As far as is it worth it depends on how much you are in to history. I wanted to see the island and the fort because I had read about it as a kid in a book called "The Book of Marvels" by an author named Richard Halliburton and had always wanted to see it.

http://www.rexmwess.com/wonders/fortjeff.htm

The fort itself is an amazing site as you come up on it and is where we spend all our time. We didn't do any snokeling, the water was rough as there was a hurricane going to hit the Keys about 4 days later. Many people go just for the snokeling but definitely spend some time touring and walking around the fort.

In mind it was worth every penny to say I have been there and seen it.

Now for the warning. If the weather is rough and it can be, take some kind of sea sickness remendy. I have been on a number of cruises and never got sea sick. I have also been in small fishing boats and never got sick. But on our way back from the Fort I lost my lunch as did at least 50% of the people on the tour. My wife suspects it was because I ate the potato salad that was included with the lunch (she didn't eat it and didn't get sick). My other suggestion would be if you go don't eat the potato salad. Anyway it can get very rough between the Dry Tortugas and Key West so just go prepared.

The crew on the boat is great and the boat itself is clean with nice restrooms (which you have to use since you can't use the ones on the island while you are docked).

My advice is take the trip and do it just so you can say you have done it. But I'm not the one who is paying the bill. I felt it was worth it and so did my wife.

Have a great visit in Key West.

• 4 weeks later...

keywesthideaways have several properties, all of which are in different locations. They have some in Tropical Village, some at Pelican's Landing (which I stayed in the Florida Retreat - it was nice!!). I also stayed at the Bahama House on Amelia (just off the quiet end of Duval). From the two properties I stayed in, I can tell you that they're tastefully decorated and well maintained. I actually preferred the room at Tropical Village because they had a rather large pool, it overlooked the water and they also had a grill area by the pool you could use. The beaches aren't the greatest on Key West, so having a pool to use it key.:) I believe their website has maps when you click on the link to the room/house you look at - it will tell you how far from the "action" things are (i.e. Duval).

Angel,

We stayed 12 days in Key West last June and rented a 3 bedroom condo at the KeyWest Beach Club. A very nice place with 2 oceanfront pools. They also have 2 bedroom units, but renting is through one of the rental agents as most of the units are not rentals. We have lots of pictures of the complex as well as the rest of Key West from June of 05 at boilermaker.smugmug.com.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Joy

I'm trying to find places to stay in Key West for two different trips.

The first will be a bit of a scouting trip. We want to get married on a sailcharter but my boyfriend has never been there. We will be staying probably June 9 &10. Something nice but affordable. Would love to have some sort of water view.

The second will be the actual wedding. Either February or May of '07 (we think) and will be 2 or three days. We will probably need 5-10 rooms if it's a hotel. I tried to check into a big house but everything I was able to find seemed to be pretty pricey and would only rent for a week.

Does anyone have suggestions? Pictures and/or links would be great.

Thanks

Hi,

First off, congratulations on your upcoming wedding.... Now, I know I'll hate myself for revealing this to a news group, but my wife and I go to KW so much that we're honorary Conchs (locals). Our favorite B&B is the Andrews Inn (www.andrewsinn.com). This is a unique place. In KW the property is so expensive that they build houses in the middle of the blocks and this Inn is such a case. In KW Earnest Hemmingway built a masion on Whitehead St., the street next to Duval (the main strip) and this inn is right behind the mansion. It only has 6 rooms so you could book the whole inn. While it doesn't have a view of the beach, it is intimate, and quiet, but just a short walk down the alley entrance and you're in the middle of Duval. They have a small pool with a surrounding courtyard and 4 rooms down and two rooms up. They also serve continental breakfast around the pool and have a 4:00pm happy hour where you fix your own drinks from the bar they set up. In addition, since you're getting married, they have a private conch house that is 1 block across the opposite side of Duval in case you'd want someplace more private with full priviliges at the Inn for breakfast/happy hour/pool. While this isn't someplace fancy, it is wonderful and we've been staying there for years. My wife says it's like cruising but on land, the people are that friendly.

Let me know if you need more details,

Randall

P.S. While Tom the owner has become a friend and Jorge the property manager is great, we don't receive any money from them but recommend this place whenever we can (I think we're at something like 20 weeks in the place by now)

• 1 month later...

Archived