New updates as of 5/21

Jeremiah1212

On 5/23/2021 at 6:18 PM, Denny01 said:

Please reference where you got the info that CDC said the cruise keeps going. Havent seen that. And your inference is if someone contracts COVID, they’d isolate and ‘figure it out’ at the next port. 

I have problems seeing how the CDC can ‘say’ a cruise can keep going since I don’t see the CDC has any jurisdiction in international waters or in foreign ports of call. And your statements seem to paint a picture that a COVID outbreak on a cruise would be handled like any other sickness that may be contagious. I have no insight into how various Caribbean ports/countries will react, but I doubt it will be handled like some Norovirus outbreak. ‘No big deal’. 

Yes, the ship won’t be quarantined and the passengers and crew wont be stuck on it for an extended time. But I don’t really see the ship continuing on it’s itinerary, pulling into varous ports, coming back to the States after a week and everyone just walks off. And the COVID person(s) can get off and drive home, if that is available. 

I could be all wet, but I think that is more than a rosy expectation. But I’v been wrong before….can’t remember when, but I’m sure its happened! 

Den 

The poster is wrong about the CDC simply allowing a cruise to continue if there are infections on board or that it would be treated lightly.  There is a threshold of cases under the current CSO, which if achieved, would cause the cruise to terminate and require all passengers be quarantined to their cabins and return to the port of departure.  So far that provision has not changed.  Could it change for fully vaccinated cruises versus unvaccinated/mixed cruises?  Sure. I guess we will see.

The CDC does maintain jurisdiction over the ship's activities even in international waters because of "free pratique" under federal maritime law.  It means that the ship must comply with federal law (like the CSO) anywhere on its itinerary if it plans on returning to a US port to disembark passengers.  That legal concept allows the CDC to mandate all of the rules and regulations under the CSO for the duration of any sailing.

• Like 1

I wonder what kind of testing will be available on cruise ships for X during a cruise.  We are on a TA from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale this Oct and visit four ports in route.  I would think testing would be necessary if symptoms are shown.  We have friends from the Uk on the cruise and they will need a PCR test in order to fly home to the UK, but won't be able to get that test in time after leaving the ship since their flights depart the same day.

Also, we wonder if X will have testing on boarding the ship in Italy?  I sent an email to X, but haven't received an answer.

On 5/22/2021 at 11:02 AM, iamaqt2 said:

I'm not sure if all state DOH keep records, but WA state has a searchable database with all immunization records. Just print and go for provable immunizations.

Screenshot_20210522_105839_com.android.chrome.jpg

Unfortunately they can only show the information given to them. Mine shows the vaccinations give at my doctor's office but not the pharmacy. Luckily, it includes the Covid vaccine I got at the fairgrounds.

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

I wonder what kind of testing will be available on cruise ships for X during a cruise.  We are on a TA from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale this Oct and visit four ports in route.  I would think testing would be necessary if symptoms are shown.  We have friends from the Uk on the cruise and they will need a PCR test in order to fly home to the UK, but won't be able to get that test in time after leaving the ship since their flights depart the same day.

Also, we wonder if X will have testing on boarding the ship in Italy?  I sent an email to X, but haven't received an answer.

I would have to believe symptoms would need to be severe to justify testing onboard.  Just being around different pollens can throw ones sinuses into a tailspin which might actually be more severe than most breakthrough cases.  The odd are really slim that anyone would even need testing if all are vaccinated. 

2 hours ago, patty1955 said:

Unfortunately they can only show the information given to them. Mine shows the vaccinations give at my doctor's office but not the pharmacy. Luckily, it includes the Covid vaccine I got at the fairgrounds.

I need to request mine from the state.  There was absolutely nothing in any vaccination documentation that even suggested that they'd be notified about the covid vaccine, but they were.  With state law only requiring reporting of cases for minors, I'm really curious to see what they might actually have from over the years.

There is an extensive COVID Agreement of Understanding for people boarding the Edge on another post. Mandatory vaccinations, shore excursion that r only approved by Celebrity etc. very comprehensive