Great Penguin Excursion

petlover

Greetings from the Radisson Mariner. We're 1/2 way through our 62 day SA trip but wanted to report back on a GREAT excursion we did yesterday. We went on the Penguin Tour at Sparrow Cove in Stanley, Falkland Islands and it was just fantastic. We saw hundreds of penguins (both Gentoo and King). It was cool and windy but certainly bearable. Glad I wore something over my head as we were there early in the morning. It was a MUST DO. The penguins were everywhere and not shy at all. I took so many great photos.

The Celebrity Millineum was suppose to be in Port Stanley with us yesterday but apparently they diverted due to gale wind warnings (that never came to be). The weather was quite nice and by 11:00am it had warmed up to just needing a sweater. Sorry these passengers missed a great port stop.

If you're going to be in Port Stanley, I'd highly recommend this tour. We did it through Radisson, not cheap at $94. pp but very happy we did.

The Celebrity Millineum was suppose to be in Port Stanley with us yesterday but apparently they diverted due to gale wind warnings (that never came to be). The weather was quite nice and by 11:00am it had warmed up to just needing a sweater. Sorry these passengers missed a great port stop.

If you're going to be in Port Stanley, I'd highly recommend this tour. We did it through Radisson, not cheap at $94. pp but very happy we did.

That's too bad. We had a different Captain 2 weeks ago and we made it in on Jan 27. It was not clear if we would or not until we got there. Every one had their fingers crossed! I am glad that our captain did not punt early! It rained a bit when we first got there, but it cleared up by about 11 am.

BTW, Celebrity charges $115 for Sparrow Cove.

Sparrow cove was the former resting place of the SS Great Britain, the first major screw driven ocean liner. I was fortunate to see this as a wreck & the penguins at sparrow cove in the 1950's when in the RN. No King penguins then just gentoos & skuas that dive bombed you! SS Great Britain was transported back to Bristol England on a barge & restored & on public display in Bristol docks, well worth a visit if you ever get chance. If not there is a book about the ship & it's voyages out that I have just read. Facinating reading about life at sea in the 1800's, try your local library they might obtain a copy for you.

Sparrow cove was the former resting place of the SS Great Britain, the first major screw driven ocean liner. No King penguins then just gentoos & skuas that dive bombed you!

My understanding is that there are lots of Gentoo and a handful (4-5 pairs) of King Penguins there now.

We saw a lone King Penguin on the beach at Gypsy Cove, along with several Magellanic ones on the hill.

Volunteer Point has many King Penguins.

Archived