Does anyone know what occupancy numbers will be?

jetact

I was wondering if anyone knows how many people NCL will be allowing on the cruises when they start up and proceeding forward. Are they adding more people for later cruises or are they just filling the ships like normal?

My understanding of NCL's plan is to start a ship at 60% capacity and then every week or two increase the capacity by 10%.  This means, in theory, barring any mishaps, each ship should reach full capacity within two months of operating.  No one has a crystal ball and can definitively tell you how it all will happen.  I mean who on March 2020 thought there would still be a cruising ban in place come June 2021 in the US?  

Edited by hungry1
grammar
  • Like 1

I'm somewhat curious about this subject as well. I count a total of 101 cabins available on our Sept 19 Sky sailing. (54 Oceanviews and 47 Inside) I believe the ship has 1246 cabins total, so that's roughly 92% occupied. (all suites and balconies are sold out)

Doesn't seem too bad considering the cruise is still more than 100 days away.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'm somewhat curious about this subject as well. I count a total of 101 cabins available on our Sept 19 Sky sailing. (54 Oceanviews and 47 Inside) I believe the ship has 1246 cabins total, so that's roughly 92% occupied. (all suites and balconies are sold out)

Doesn't seem too bad considering the cruise is still more than 100 days away.

If they were limiting occupancy, wouldn't they just show those rooms as already booked even though they would remain empty?

To the original question, at one point it was reported than NCLs first cruise for each ship would be at 80%, increasing to 90% for the second and then to 100%.  I have no idea if that were correct at the time or if it is still the plan.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, hungry1 said:

My understanding of NCL's plan is to start a ship at 60% capacity and then every week or two increase the capacity by 10%.  This means, in theory, barring any mishaps, each ship should reach full capacity within two months of operating.  No one has a crystal ball and can definitively tell you how it all will happen.  I mean who on March 2020 thought there would still be a cruising ban in place come June 2021 in the US?  

would this apply for the 2021 Alaska cruises?

44 minutes ago, redsox1584 said:

would this apply for the 2021 Alaska cruises?

Your question caused me to think a bit.  I realized the plan I quoted you is rather dated.  It is from a time when there wasn't a vaccine available.  Norwegian has said that they are going to require all passengers to have a vaccine.  So really all bets are off at this point.  If vaccinated passengers don't have to wear masks in outdoor areas, if other safety measures get removed from vaccinated passengers, then wouldn't it follow that limited capacity might not exist for 2021 Alaska cruises?  Good luck especially considering the court case between CDC and Florida and the possible implications for Alaska cruisers.  While I feel bad for the cruisers, I feel especially bad for those from Alaska whose livelihood depends on tourism making a go of it in Alaska.  Only people on the inside of the Norwegian Cruise Line could answer that one for you.  

Edited by hungry1

14 hours ago, Old & Retired said:

Only FDR and I wouldn't believe his answer anyway.

I believe that we have the answer.  It will be 100% (all vaccinated, of course).  We'll miss you brother, but you can likely spend the time on your computer sharing your continuing insights.  The rest of us will be having real fun on our cruises. 😎

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jbfg8r said:

Chatted with NCL help online and they said 60% for the Encore from Alaska.

is that just for the first couple of sailings or does that include all of the Encore Alaska sailings this year?

Just now, redsox1584 said:

is that just for the first couple of sailings or does that include all of the Encore Alaska sailings this year?

I really only inquired for my scheduled sailing on 8/7.  they are very responsive in chat whether you are booked or just inquiring.

2 minutes ago, jbfg8r said:

I really only inquired for my scheduled sailing on 8/7.  they are very responsive in chat whether you are booked or just inquiring.

I will do that for sure. They were very helpful on the chat a little while ago when I wanted to change my room. 

20 minutes ago, jbfg8r said:

I just went to the online chat to inquire about the 9/18 sailing, and all they said was the following: Controlled Guest Capacity We will initially control the guest capacity onboard each ship to provide even more space per guest. We have also increased spacing in dining and entertainment venues and other onboard spaces 

They couldn't give me a definitive answer about my sailing and that the information would be provided in the future, in case anyone else is wondering

On 6/4/2021 at 12:43 AM, CaptainWoody said:

I believe that we have the answer.  It will be 100% (all vaccinated, of course).  We'll miss you brother, but you can likely spend the time on your computer sharing your continuing insights.  The rest of us will be having real fun on our cruises. 😎

You will miss me where, rookie?