Harrisons Cave OK for Mobility Limited Seniors?

MBeamTX

Barbados is one of the ports on our upcoming cruise. I just read about Harrisons Cave and it sounds like a great place to visit. Both of my parents can walk only limited distances - Dad uses a wheelchair to traverse the ship most of the time. Would they be able to do the tour of Harrisons Cave? What's the best way to get there?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Susan

Barbados is one of the ports on our upcoming cruise. I just read about Harrisons Cave and it sounds like a great place to visit. Both of my parents can walk only limited distances - Dad uses a wheelchair to traverse the ship most of the time. Would they be able to do the tour of Harrisons Cave? What's the best way to get there?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Susan

----------------------------------

I think it would be OK for your folks.

I think.

Here is what it looks like outside:

http://id.mind.net/~barbados/harrisons-cave-outside.jpg

Depending on how late you get there, it could be as long as a city block from the parking lot to the entrance. However, if you take a cab, he should be able to drop you right in front. Then it may only be 50', or less, to the entrance.

There is a seating area there.

After paying the fare ( your cabby will stand and do this for you), you enter a theatre by which they show you a film about the caves.

After that, it is perhaps a 50-75' walk to the trams:

http://id.mind.net/~barbados/harrisons-cave-tram.jpg

These electric motorized vechicles will take you through the caves. They provide many stops for pictures, but one doesn't have to get off.

This is one of the many wonderful things that they will see inside:

http://id.mind.net/~barbados/harrisons-inside.jpg

There may be a wheelchair there, you should should call ahead, but the distances are not excessive.

A taxi (perhaps $20/pp one way) would be the best way to get there....maybe a 30 minute drive from the terminal.

Hope you enjoy the island!

Wow, Ming, thanks so much for your detailed response. With pictures, even! I appreciate you taking the time to do this. I can show this to my parents so they'll know what to expect.

I really would like to see some of Barbados, that's why I'm looking for an excursion that my parents could do as well. Short walks are doable for both parents, it's standing for long periods of time that are a problem.

One more question: Do the tours run at specific hours, or can you just show up anytime?

Thanks again,

Susan

It may be an idea to e.mail Harrisons' Caves and ask them their opinion, and if they have special facilities for the less mobile.

One thing that made me think is that the trams are actually quite high up - can your folks use stairs? There is only one or two steps but the are higher than normal and you do kind of have to pull yourself up. Also, the seating, whilst on sort of benches, doesn not have much leg room - again, are they able to bend their knees.

I hope they do manage to join you on a visit to the caves.

I can advise that, in my opinion, the Wildlife Reserve would NOT be suitable.

Archived