Advice needed on Southwest exit row

Sea Hag

My DH and I are flying Southwest this week. He's tall and has a bad back, so the ability to move around a bit is important. We bought Business Select, which I fully realize doesn't guarantee getting to pick any seat we like. Sitting in an exit row probably won't be an option anyhow, but I'd like to figure out if it would be allowable for us. Southwest's website says that anybody can choose any seat that's open. We're old folks. He's fully capable of manhandling the emergency exit door, even if it's the type that has to be removed and lifted over to the next row. I couldn't do that, but I could open it if it's the type that you turn a handle and the door opens up or to the side. We don't want to get into any hassles over whether or not we should be in the exit row, but if it's an allowable option, then we'd like to know that. I can't really tell from their website, and I've certainly tried.

I'm looking for helpful opinions on this. Any helpful opinions?

My husband and I flew in a Southwest exit row yesterday and many times prior. If you have one of the first 25 or so boarding positions, you'll have a good chance of getting exit row seats. As you board, a flight crew member is usually standing near (or in) one of the exit rows. I know they are watching who sits there, because they won't allow children. I'm a small woman age 68 and I've never been questioned about my strength or age. Right before pushback, an attendant will address all the exit row passengers and ask for a verbal yes, that they are willing to follow crew directions and assist in an emergency. They're strict about making sure everyone is paying attention during this step. So pick the best seats you can find and don't worry. 

On 6/17/2021 at 3:06 PM, SueH7 said:

My husband and I flew in a Southwest exit row yesterday and many times prior. If you have one of the first 25 or so boarding positions, you'll have a good chance of getting exit row seats. As you board, a flight crew member is usually standing near (or in) one of the exit rows. I know they are watching who sits there, because they won't allow children. I'm a small woman age 68 and I've never been questioned about my strength or age. Right before pushback, an attendant will address all the exit row passengers and ask for a verbal yes, that they are willing to follow crew directions and assist in an emergency. They're strict about making sure everyone is paying attention during this step. So pick the best seats you can find and don't worry. 

Our trip is over now, and we've returned home. We did sit in an exit row for one flight of the trip, and the flight attendants were fine with me sitting there. Thanks for your reply. 😀